Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to CH.COM (Read 1747 times)
tony c
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Pleasant Hill CA
New to CH.COM
Mar 30th, 2011 at 5:04pm

Hi All,
I,m 46 years old and have been a clusterhead since my early 20s. I did not know they were clusters intill about 2000. After trying many drugs have found that oxygen works the best!!! I get mine every March at the same time two or 3 times every night. I have found that if i do not drink alcohol, eat chocolate, parmesan (any hard cheese) i will not get them during the day. I,m in week 3... about 2 more weeks to go.

tony cutaia  
IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Re: New to CH.COM
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 5:43pm

Welcome Tony! So glad to hear you are good with oxygen! 

Many here also use different preventative medications (verapamil, lithium, topomax etc). Has your neuro tried any of these (or combination) with you? Might not knock them ALL out, but often can help reduce frequency/intensity. My husband uses lithium, 1200mg when in cycle. It helps.

Lots of other ideas too on the treatments/meds page.

I just wanted to say hi back and welcome to the family.

Christy

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

tony c
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Pleasant Hill CA
Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 6:46pm

Thank you Christy!!
I'm sticking with the oxygen. I have tanks next to my bed and if i start in the first 5 min of the CH it will go away in about 10 min and the pain is not as bad as normal (curled up in ball on the floor wishing i would die) I used to use Cafergot that would stop them at night, but started giving me rebound CH during the day.
Tony

tony cutaia  
IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 8:01pm

Welcome Tony....glad that you found us and I am glad that 02 works so well with you. It was the Holy Grail for me too. Smiley

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 12:12am

Tony, welcome to CH.com. I'm glad to hear O2 works well for you, it does for me too. Below is link to our "oxygen info" that you may need someday.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Many of us need a backup for when the O2 fails us, for reasons such as waking up with a high pain level, or being too slow to start the O2. Imitrex injections, (not as bad as it sounds) or Imitrex inhaler, the pills are too slow and usually not much help.

Imitrex doesn't work for me, but it does for most on this site, so I use DHE-45 IM injections when I haven't slept. O2 does abort 97% of my attacks, but waking up all night requires something else.

Best to you,   Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 7:50am

Greetings Tony and good to hear from you. Also glad O2 is working for you. Just curious...have you tried Melatonin at night? It seems to help many of us sleep without a hit. It doesn't eliminate them but does seem to help. I take 15mg at night. Some get by on much less. And since your hits are mostly at night, perhaps the energy drink booster would be a bad idea, but you might tuck that one away in your growing arsenal for a time when the Beast kicks in during the day. Good luck and God bless! lance

IP Logged

b.g.
CH.com Newbie

Glad to be Here!

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 8:46am

just wanted to say welcome to the site.  (im new as well).
i hope you find all the info/companionship here that you need.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!