Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ramblings ... (Read 11172 times)
JessJames1968
CH.com Newbie

Are we there yet?

California, The OC
Ramblings ...
Jul 21st, 2011 at 3:43pm

If there is a problem (whether the idea or server space) with what I'm about to do, please tell me. I just need a place to vent so I thought I'd create a new thread to use as a diary of sorts.

My husband, Beli had a two-week reprieve in June. The latest attacks have been hard and fierce. The other night I found myself holding back tears as we sat there, him with the ice-pack wrapped around his head and me with the Reiki flowing, watching TV. He was in such agony and I couldn't waive my hand and make it go away. I can usually detach my emotions so I can be strong for him, but I felt like I was about to break. That one took an hour.

Every time we think we've found something we think is working the rules change. These things are like a virus the continues to mutate to be immune to vaccine!

In Love and Light,

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Re: Ramblings ...
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 6:41pm

Have you seen the posts in this link? Over the counter and quite successful.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

We have to take the battle to the beast. Educate ourselves about CH.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 6:47pm

You are only human and you are going to break down from time to time.  I know I sure have more times than I can count (still do on occasion).  Please do come here and vent and "talk" to us.  It's great therapy.

It's frustrating and heartbreaking that there is nothing we can do for our loved one that is suffering.  It's even more frustrating trying to find a treatment that will help.

Hang in there you guys  Smiley

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

flipperlips 100000247863039 pjtimmer@sbcglobal.net  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #3 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 7:37pm

You supporters are Gold in the flesh. It's been said that it is just as hard being a supporter as having CH. Knowing what this puts my wife thru hurts me, I know she hurts for me.

Keep fighting and learning. The is no cure but most of us learn to manage these things by reading this site.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

JessJames1968
CH.com Newbie

Are we there yet?

California, The OC
Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 6:55pm

Thank you for the kind words.

His supply of herbs showed up over the weekend and so he's back on that routine. We're not sure if it was the herbs, the prednisone, or the seeds stuck on his ear used for acupressure that worked last time. Prednisone being such a strong steroid, we're trying the herb route first. I also want to talk with the doc about oxygen as an abortive agent. Neither one of us likes the idea of the Imitrex pills, but they work.

He thinks the attacks are becoming less intense since restarting the herbal therapy, though it doesn't seem like it from my perspective.

In Love and Light,

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #5 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 10:49am

Oh yes...do talk to the doctor about O2!!!  If used properly it really works wonders. 

Yup Imitrex works, but my hubby hates it too.  You said Imitrex pills.  The shots or the nasal spray works much, much faster.

Hopefully the herbs help him get some relief.

Only one life.....only one chance to make the moment count for something - Racer1_NC

IP Logged

JessJames1968
CH.com Newbie

Are we there yet?

California, The OC
Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 12:08pm

flipperlips wrote on Jul 26th, 2011 at 10:49am:
The shots or the nasal spray works much, much faster.

He used the spray after the initial diagnosis, but it didn't work the last time he used it and he hates the after taste from the post nasal drip. I'm cool with giving him the injections when needed, but he hates needles. The goof. Personally, I think a little prick is worth more immediate relief. Which is way better than the problems a little prick usually causes.  Wink

Sorry, I couldn't pass up that smart-a$$ comment.

In Love and Light,

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 1:38pm

Sumavel Dosepro is a needle-less subcutaneous "injection" of 6mg of sumatriptan. The med is delivered through the skin with a blast of compressed nitrogen.

Expensive, but an alternative for those who have issues with needles. Also, it ain't painless. Actually leaves a good welt.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 4:31pm

If getting the drip, he's not doing it correctly. The needles are so thin that you can barely feel it. Definitely look into oxygen.
Good luck!

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #9 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 6:44pm

LOL Jess  Grin

Like E-dub said the needles are very little.  I hate needles too, but when your in pain a little prick is nothing.

Brew I used one of those Sumavel Dosepro when I had a migraine last week and that sucker hurt worse than a little poke from an imitrex injector.  Left a big ass welt on my leg.  Phil thought it was funny though  Cheesy

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 9:21pm

Phil? Laughing at your pain? Tell him I might have to come down there and kick his ass. Wink

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #11 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 10:09pm

LOL...he has been warned!!!

I don't know if he was laughing at my pain or the slew of very bad words that came out of my mouth...probably both.

IP Logged

JessJames1968
CH.com Newbie

Are we there yet?

California, The OC
Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 11:15am

E-Double wrote on Jul 26th, 2011 at 4:31pm:
If getting the drip, he's not doing it correctly. The needles are so thin that you can barely feel it. Definitely look into oxygen.
Good luck!

He has a couple of doses left of the spray, so I'll keep that in mind. What are the needles like in comparison to insulin needles (smaller/thinner/larger/thicker?) I have experience with those injecting my mother. It was like payback for the spankings over the years! Grin

In Love and Light,

IP Logged

JessJames1968
CH.com Newbie

Are we there yet?

California, The OC
Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 11:26am

In other news, the pattern has changed. They were each night about an hour to two and a half hours after he'd come to bed. Now he's getting a low-grade one during the day around 130 or so. Yesterday, it turned into a slammer. He sounded awful when he called me from work. I asked him to take a ziplock from the office kitchen, fill it with ice and wrap it with paper toweling for a compress. He called me back about five minutes later to say it was gone before he even finished putting the ice pack together.

Then he got slammed last night about 630 and took an Imitrex. Is it typical for that kind of drastic pattern change to occur?

In Love and Light,

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:38pm

It is believed that our entry into the REM sleep stage is the single biggest contributor to nighttime hits. Which is why you hear many, many reports of people being awakened by a CH attack right around 90 minutes after falling asleep.

Has he tried melatonin? Since the leading theory is that it is the hypothalamus that is responsible for CH, and the hypothalamus is also what regulates our sleep/wake patterns, taking a melatonin supplement about half an hour before bed will bridge us through that tempestuous transition.

It has been found that many, many clusterheads benefit from taking anywhere from 9 - 15 mg (some even higher) of melatonin before bed. You might want to have him give it a try.

It has worked wonders for me.

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #15 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:49pm

Just when you think you have the pattern figured out the beast just loves to change things up on you...dirty bastard  Angry

Phil's hit times are pretty predictable, but he goes through phases where they come all over the place or he's constantly shadowing.

IP Logged

Beli
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

OC, CA
Reply #16 - Jul 30th, 2011 at 11:04am

Happy Birthday to my wonderful support man!  I honestly don't know how you do it, but you are the best!   Smiley

I don't know how I would get through some of these nights/days without you.  Thank you!

IP Logged

Beth E
CH.com Junior

Thanks for understanding
CH.com!

Union City (Erie)  PA
Reply #17 - Jul 30th, 2011 at 11:42am

Sure feel your pain about things changing all the time. Although most hits do occur around the same time for my CHer,  with the meds or abortives and such,  they do keep changing over time.  Arrrgggg! Hang in there!

No longer Helpless now!

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #18 - Jul 30th, 2011 at 6:14pm

Happy Birthday JJ  Smiley

IP Logged

JessJames1968
CH.com Newbie

Are we there yet?

California, The OC
Reply #19 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 2:45pm

Beli wrote on Jul 30th, 2011 at 11:04am:
Happy Birthday to my wonderful support man!  I honestly don't know how you do it, but you are the best!   Smiley

I don't know how I would get through some of these nights/days without you.  Thank you!

Thank you babe.

luv u ... me

In Love and Light,

IP Logged

JessJames1968
CH.com Newbie

Are we there yet?

California, The OC
Reply #20 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 2:46pm

flipperlips wrote on Jul 30th, 2011 at 6:14pm:
Happy Birthday JJ  Smiley

Thank you, flipper!

In Love and Light,

IP Logged

JessJames1968
CH.com Newbie

Are we there yet?

California, The OC
Reply #21 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 2:48pm

Brew wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 2:38pm:
Has he tried melatonin? Since the leading theory is that it is the hypothalamus that is responsible for CH, and the hypothalamus is also what regulates our sleep/wake patterns, taking a melatonin supplement about half an hour before bed will bridge us through that tempestuous transition.

It has been found that many, many clusterheads benefit from taking anywhere from 9 - 15 mg (some even higher) of melatonin before bed. You might want to have him give it a try.

It has worked wonders for me.

Will talk with doc at next appt. Thanks for the heads up!

In Love and Light,

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #22 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 3:54pm

Melatonin can be obtained over the counter in the US. No need to talk to the doc.

IP Logged

flipperlips
CH.com Alumnus

Live, Laugh, Love

Mcallen, TX
Reply #23 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 4:53pm

Ditto what Brew said.  I usually watch the sales at CVS they do buy one get 1/2 off or sometimes buy one get one free.  I always stock up when they have the sales since we both take it  Smiley

IP Logged

JessJames1968
CH.com Newbie

Are we there yet?

California, The OC
Reply #24 - Aug 3rd, 2011 at 11:14am

flipperlips wrote on Aug 2nd, 2011 at 4:53pm:
Ditto what Brew said.  I usually watch the sales at CVS they do buy one get 1/2 off or sometimes buy one get one free.  I always stock up when they have the sales since we both take it  Smiley

Oooh! Cool!

Any interactions that you know of?

In Love and Light,

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!