Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
melatonin/brand? (Read 3052 times)
anthony g
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

manhattan nyc
melatonin/brand?
Jul 31st, 2011 at 6:39am

Hey all
I have been reading about melatonin on here and take 7 mg a nite. I hear alot about n-acetyl-5-methoxytryamine being what should be looked for? Im confused as to what brand or where would I find this formula?
Any input would be great
Anthony

IP Logged

john m
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Mogadore, Ohio
Re: melatonin/brand?
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 5:04pm

Hi  Anthony,  I use 9 mg a night it is the Pharmassure brand available at RiteAid.  I dont thing brand is as important as finding the right size dose for you.  Since using melatonin my night time visits are down to one and they are not as severe.  Good Luck

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 5:49pm

Brand is not important.

N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine is important.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 12:30pm

Hi Anthony,

I agree with Jon about taking the right dose for YOU.  It takes some trial and error before you find the right dosage.  Some take 9mg, I personally took 5mg of the sublingual before bed each night (any more had no effect).

Brew said:
Quote:
N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine is important

Brew, is that the scientific name for the Melatonin?  Or is it an additional ingredient listed?

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 12:44pm

Melatonin (mɛləˈtoʊnɪn), also known chemically as N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine, is a naturally occurring compound found in animals, plants and microbes. In animals, circulating levels of the hormone melatonin vary in a daily cycle, thereby allowing the entrainment of the circadian rhythms of several biological functions.

Many biological effects of melatonin are produced through activation of melatonin receptors, while others are due to its role as a pervasive and powerful antioxidant, with a particular role in the protection of nuclear and mitochondrial DNA.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 6:23pm

Brew wrote on Aug 2nd, 2011 at 12:44pm:
Melatonin (mɛləˈtoʊnɪn), also known chemically as N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine, is a naturally occurring compound found in animals, plants and microbes. In animals, circulating levels of the hormone melatonin vary in a daily cycle, thereby allowing the entrainment of the circadian rhythms of several biological functions.

Many biological effects of melatonin are produced through activation of melatonin receptors, while others are due to its role as a pervasive and powerful antioxidant, with a particular role in the protection of nuclear and mitochondrial DNA.

So it's the scientific name for melatonin.

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 7:09pm

Yes, it is.

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 2nd, 2011 at 7:44pm

Brew wrote on Aug 2nd, 2011 at 7:09pm:
Yes, it is.

Thank you.

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #8 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 11:36am

Now I'm confused....Is there melatonin being sold that is NOT N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine?

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Aug 8th, 2011 at 11:50am

Ricardo wrote on Aug 8th, 2011 at 11:36am:
Now I'm confused....Is there melatonin being sold that is NOT N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine?

I did see one brand out there when I did some label comparison, but I don't remember the brand or what they said was in it (it was a couple of years ago, and sometimes I can't even remember what I had for breakfast).

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 2:35am

Here' something interesting I read about Verapamil and Melatonin.

"Verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan)
Interaction Rating: Moderate Be cautious with this combination.
Talk with your health provider.

The body breaks down melatonin to get rid of it. Verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan) can increase how quickly the body gets rid of melatonin. Taking melatonin along with verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan) might decrease the effectiveness of melatonin."

SOURCE: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Just curious, what is the most common dosage that helps decrease night time attacks?  I realize everybody reacts differently, but we have concluded minimum mgs on many meds including lpm on O2. 

Does anybody know of helpful statistics from those on here that have documented their effective melatonin dosages?
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2011 at 5:35pm by LasVegas »  

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

NotH20
CH.com Hall of Famer

x0|Atlanta||usa|421|220|GA,Georgia
Reply #11 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 8:42am

I just started this medication at night.  I started with 3 mg and am now up to 6 mg...anticipating going up to 9 mg. 

Did you all start at higher doses or did you increase them?  Just wondering if this works similar to Prednisone where you shock your body or more like Verap where you slowly increase the dosage.

Thanks for your feedback.
Mia

NotH20  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!