Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cleaning o2 mask? (Read 1330 times)
Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Cleaning o2 mask?
Aug 11th, 2011 at 10:19am

I was curious about the best way to clean a mask?    Is it okay to use alcohol on it?  I've been just wiping it out with a damp cloth but feel like it could use a little disinfecting.

Thanks, as always, for your help.

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: Cleaning o2 mask?
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 10:37am

The problem with rubbing alcohol is that it kills ALMOST everything, not everything.  This can actually make things worse, because you're killing off weak bacteria, and letting the strong stuff live.  I remember reading an article about how cleaning your kitchen counters with alcohol can end up growing really nasty bacteria on it in the long run.  I would go for chlorine free bleach (really strong hydrogen peroxide) and maybe a couple times a year switch it up with some regular bleach or some brewing sanitizer like star-san--just to make sure if something is living through one sanitizer, it can't get hold.   Another thing you can do to help prevent problems would be to keep your mask in a tupperware with some silica gel after you wash it so that moisture is quickly gone and bacteria doesn't have a chance to start.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 12:19pm

For what it's worth, here's what I do:

I use the mouthpiece, never the mask.

I only inhale through the mouthpiece, never exhale.

I wash the mouthpiece in soapy water.

I've never had to clean the guts of the valve assembly by doing it this way. I suppose you could take the same approach using the mask by never exhaling through it. Lift it away when you exhale.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 1:25pm

Warm soapy water......disassemble, soak, rinse and air dry......

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

gezz
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 7:40pm

I use anti bacterial wipes -yhats what the oxygen delivery guy said to use also he said to use a new mask every 6 months.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 8:30pm

Quote:
also he said to use a new mask every 6 months.

Not if you buy an O2ptimask at the ch.com store. I've had all three of mine for over two years now.

Of course, I haven't had to use any of them for quite some time now.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!