Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm not sure what to do... (Read 3444 times)
KimmieW
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Voorhees, NJ
I'm not sure what to do...
Sep 18th, 2011 at 5:48pm

HI!

I am a wife of a CH sufferer and it's not my first rodeo however I'm a bit nervous today.  Hubby is not very coherant, he seems to have trouble speaking, he is not eating, not sleeping and he is holding his cigarettes while not really staying awake--he is closing his eyes while slumping.  Every time I say his name or let him know he is dozing, he gets mad and he probably senses or assumes I'm upset.  He just looks like he just isn't there.  He mumbles too. 

Current meds include depakote, lithium and he is sucking O2 like nobody's business.  I think in 6 weeks we've gone through maybe 8 MM tanks.  He is also a diabetic with cardiac issues.  I'm a bit concerned.

Thoughts??  I'm really worried to even leave the house...

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Re: I'm not sure what to do...
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 6:04pm

Kimmie, 

The symptoms you've mentioned don't seem at ALL related to clusterheadaches.  More to me... like his Diabetes.   I'm hoping he's o.k. but you need to get him to a doctor.  Fast.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

KimmieW
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Voorhees, NJ
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 6:13pm

That's what I am worried about.  I checked his sugar this morning and it was a little high but nothing i worried about but now...as the day goes on...I am very concerned. 

If he would eat I'm thinking he may feel better but he just doesn't want to. 

Thanks for the support.  I'll keep you posted.  I just want him to feel better

Oh and he is in cycle....

IP Logged

B.Baer
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Northeast Pennsylvania
Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:59pm

I would agree, get him to a doctor, and have this checked out. It's better to rule out any serious medical causes.

I personally did not suffer Depakote or Topamax in conjunction with Lithium well at all. I lost my appetite, and a great deal of weight. Depakote had me in a daze, more so than Topamax, I finally through the help of a very experienced HA Neurologist weaned myself slowly off all of the aforementioned meds. We are all different and some have much better results than others.

That being said, I'd still recommend being checked out by a competent doctor.

Could be nothing more than exhaustion, I hope all goes well.

Please keep us posted as to his progress.

All the best,

Baer
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2011 at 9:20pm by B.Baer »  
Barry Baer  
IP Logged

Beth E
CH.com Junior

Thanks for understanding
CH.com!

Union City (Erie)  PA
Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 11:58am

Do you have a pulseoximeter? It measures the percentage of oxygenated blood in the system.  With his history, it wouldn't hurt to get one.  But those symptoms dont sound good, and I agree with the others.  I don't know what cardiac history he has, but my hubby had NO cardiac history and almost died this past June with fluid around his heart. It made him lathargic, short of breath, and nauseated too.  He also had constipation.  Insist on getting him checked out.  He may not be sucking all the O2 just for a CH!  Prayers going out! Keep us updated.

No longer Helpless now!

IP Logged

shager132
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 11:55am

All of his symptoms that you've described I also experienced while on Dep.

On one hand, it seemed to keep the Beast away, but after 3-4 days of Dep building in my system it became too much for my body to handle. I was like a zombie. I couldn't form sentences properly. I knew what i wanted to say, but the word connection from my brain to my mouth was not functioning properly.
I called my Doc and asked to lessen the amount which helped a bit, but, in 1 scary event., I went to bed with a headache, woke up finding out it was 2 days later, not 1. I had no recollection of this previous day, what i had done, if I had eaten, run over someone...pretty scary stuff.

Also the entire time I was on it, I literally had "0" energy at all. My head was swirly...it was def not the right med for me. I switched to Topamax during that particular episode and it seemed to be easier on my system, but also let the HA arrive a bit more.

From my personal experience, the seizure meds have some benefit in helping prevent an attack during a cycle, but you really have to be careful and work with the dosages.

IP Logged

Joshl924
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 2:01pm

Woul also be careful of the smoking cigs and the sucking down oxygen at the same time... I know it goes without saying but if he doesnt seem all there do you want the cigs near the oxygen.. his clothes could also become super saturated...

personal question: the lithium isnt for the beast is it?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!