Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Topical treatments...? (Read 1659 times)
robnaquin
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Topical treatments...?
Oct 12th, 2011 at 6:43pm

I've been a clusterhead for >20 years now (episodic; 1-2 cycles/year; each cycle lasting 3-8 weeks).
I've tried many of the common meds and approaches.
Has anyone tried (with success or not) anesthetic-type topical treatments like a lidocaine patch or cream? Something to dull the pain long enough to get through the episode...?

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Re: Topical treatments...?
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 7:09pm

I tried liquid Lidocaine and liquid Cocaine drops. I forget the amount of Lidocaine, but the Cocaine was a "4% solution" (also available in 10%) which I administered while laying with my head off the bed (basically upside down) so I could get 4 drops (in each nostril). The immediate goal was to get the drops to fall as far back and in my nostrils as possible and took a cpl of times to get it right, but the ultimate goal of aborting an attack was futile. I only did it about 6 times or so and gave it up due to crazy dreams after the attack. Another man (a 70 yr old episodic clusterhead) swore by it ... but I could not get any relief from it. He kept saying I'm not getting it in right <?> Who knows ...

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 10:10am

This approach hasn't gained much attention in the medical literature.

Latest evaluations of common used treatments in the PDF file, below.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Ricardo
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 10:23am

2 things have helped me greatly, one is a "mygrastick"--a roll on stick with peppermint and Lavender essential oil that is made for migraines.  I roll it on my forehead and temple when I'm getting hit there.  More frequently I get hit just in my eye, and this stuff is to strong for that, what has worked wonders though is the peppermint chapstick--Its just the right strength to put right on my eye lid and it works wonders.  Not going to do anything for a really bad hit, but works great for some of the lesser ones...

I did try intranasal lidocaine at one point, no help.

IP Logged

Cendie
CH.com Junior

Cincinnati
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 1:06pm

Lol, at getting it in your eye!!  I tried that stuff for migraine and that's what I remember about it... getting it in my eye... it burns! =PP

IP Logged

Beth E
CH.com Junior

Thanks for understanding
CH.com!

Union City (Erie)  PA
Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:04pm

Peppermint chapstick?  Now that's something do-able. On the eyelid of the effected eye.  Well, anything is worth a try...huh?

No longer Helpless now!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 8:36pm

Beth E wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:04pm:
Peppermint chapstick?  Now that's something do-able. On the eyelid of the effected eye.  Well, anything is worth a try...huh?

OUCH! Grin

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 8:40pm

Hi rob...

intranasal lidocaine...no help...tho the contortions required in the attempt did get me laughing...I must be a clusterhead to be doing THIS! Also caused an enlightening (for her) discussion on cluster headache with the pharmacist filling the script...who had never heard of ch...and was delightfully interested. Hoping it helped a fellow down the line who was her customer....

many years ago...Tiger Balm on the temples "seemed" to help with shadows...it don't do squat now...but I still love the smell...

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 11:51pm

I have used the Berts Bees chapstick on my eyelid and it helps me about half the time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!