Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Effects of Xanax and Muscle Relaxers on CH (Read 6280 times)
er
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Miami, Florida
Effects of Xanax and Muscle Relaxers on CH
Feb 8th, 2012 at 2:56pm

Just thought I'd share some insight in hoping to repay the insight I have received from all of you.

When I was suffering from regular migraines, it became clear that if I kept a regular sleep routine, I would get less migrianes.  In order to help shut down my brain at night which was constantly going through the days events, and to allow myself to get to sleep early, my neuro gave me a prescription for low-dosage Xanax.  I would only use it for no more than a few days in a row at night in order to avoid any dependence, but it helped break migraine cycles at the time.

Now that I'm suffering from CH, attempting a regular sleep pattern seems to have no effect positively or negatively.  However, I find myself with a new form of anxiety before bedtime knowing that the beast might wake me up shortly thereafter.  I have tried taking just 0.5 mg of Xanax at night a total of 5 times in the past 2 months while in CH cycle, and I am 5 out of 5 in getting through the entire night without CH.  Possibly a coincidence, but I know we'd all try just about anything.  If you're in the middle of a cycle and have some Xanax lying around for a different ailment, I think it's worth a shot.  If it works for you, perhaps your neuro will prescribe it.  Beware of dependence, however, and once your cycle is over, I recommend tapering down and not going cold turkey off Xanax.

On the opposite extreme, I also have a back problem that flares up from time-to-time.  When I have a severe spasm, I will sometimes take the muscle relaxer Zanaflex to calm the muscles and help me sleep.  3 out of 3 times that I took Zanaflex before bed while in the midst of a CH cycle, I was awakened by the beast with kip 9-10.  My worst of all time came after taking Zanaflex before bed.  Also a possible coincidence, but I caution you if you are prescribed a muscle relaxer while in the middle of a cycle.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Effects of Xanax and Muscle Relaxers on CH
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2012 at 4:13pm

Your Xanax dose doesn't arouse concern. However, if you want to try a proven option, Melatonin 1/2-3/4mg before sleep has proven, in a double blind study, to be more effective than either higher or lower doses. (Note, used by some as a Cluster preventive at high doses, so don't confusing dose/purpose.)

Mematonin for sleep can be used continuously without concern.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Re: Effects of Xanax and Muscle Relaxers on CH
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 2:57pm

I wouldn't blame one for trying anything...be aware anything that makes me drowsy will trigger an attack.
Thats just me. Benzo's are the most addicting thing around. Going cold turkey off of them will cause siezures. Been there done that. Any port in a storm.
all the best
the bb

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!