Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Topamax (Read 1532 times)
Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Topamax
Feb 11th, 2012 at 9:45am

Was just started on topamax from the Doc i saw at John Hopkins. Was wondering if anyone else was taking it and what side effects they have had. Doc said one of the side effects is weight loss. Not that i am complaining because i could stand to lose about 50 pounds,
just wondering what others have experienced with this med. This i only my second day of taking it.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Topamax
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 9:55am

I've never taken it. The most common side effect I have seen posted is it can make you a little goofy and forgetful. Many have lovingly referred to is as "Dopey-Max!" Others have said they didn't have that issue at all. Hope it provides some relief for ya.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 12:21pm

Take a look at the PDF file, below.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 12:37pm

Thanks for all the good info BOb

IP Logged

MeL
CH.com Junior

Carpe Diem!

Cleveland, Ohio
Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2012 at 7:17pm

When I first started taking Zonegran then Topamax then back onto Zonegran I lost 30 pounds. 

Any of those meds will curb your appetite!  Just make sure you don't forget to eat, which if you are like me, forgetting to eat can start a headache all over again!

If we don't take care of ourselves, who will?

IP Logged

Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 7:59am

Today will be my 5th day of the topamax. The only thing I have noticed the first two days is that I was extremely tired and my husband kept asking me what wasnwrongnwith me, if I was depressed.
I do have a wisdom tooth coming in so that may be the culprit. I feel a lot better now. I am only taking 25 mg a day so far and I already notice the decrease in appetite. I am not complaining as I need to lose weight. And so far in the last five days I have only had a few shadows. No full blown episodes. I will take that any day.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 8:52am

That's great news Bonnie, crossing our collective fingers it proves the silver bullet for you!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!