Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Imitrex bone injection... ow (Read 2583 times)
AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Imitrex bone injection... ow
Apr 12th, 2012 at 8:21pm

I'm wondering if anyone else has managed to inject their Imitrex (autoinjector) into the bone by mistake.  I got tired of jabbing my legs (already take shots for something else too) and I've tried the belly but there wasn't quite enough cushion there to make it any better.

Finally tried my arm out of desperation and must've missed the meat, because the shot went in and got STUCK (painfully) in what I assume was the bone.  I'm assuming this because when I tried to pull it out, I had to tug, and then it got hooked in my skin.  When I finally yanked it out along with a bit of my flesh, it was definitely hooked at the end.   Shocked

Aside from a sore arm, I'm guessing no harm no foul.  But does anyone else think the autoinjectors are just a little too... forceful?  (I've tried disassembling and injecting myself per this site's instructions, but I usually need to dose around coworkers and that just looks weird.)  I guess it's time for syringes and gallon-sized vials.   Roll Eyes

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Re: Imitrex bone injection... ow
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 9:25pm

Never hit the bone, that must hurt too. A tendon and a nerve before. I use Itramuscular DHE, I use the glass ampules that you break open. Not as quick as an auto but I'm pretty fast.

Be careful with the arm inject's, per my Doc that puts the med closer to your heart, only as a last resort use the arm. He said the forearm for IM.

Yes I think you hit the bone.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 10:19pm

Oh, I should also have said that the Rx info that came with the Imitrex kit said that the upper, outer arm was one of the two acceptable injection sites (the other being the thigh).

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 12:18am

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how does the IM DHE compare to imitrex (if you used that) or Migranal nasal spray (ditto)?

I've had the nasal spray and it felt like it was ALMOST strong enough, but too slow and that maybe the injection would be the ticket.  However, my neuro would rather just override the insurance co. and get me another 36 injections of sumatriptan.  He completely dismisses the DHE route.   Undecided

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Brooke
CH.com Junior

:)

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 9:47pm

I am taking DHE in the muscle. I like it a lot better. I didn't do well with imitrex and I also tried a few other things such as some nasal spray. The DHE has been the only thing that has worked for me.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 12:29pm

Thanks for the response, Brooke.  I think I'll ask my GP for it, since he's the one who initially prescribed the Migranal.  He comes from a big pharmacy family and specialized in it himself, so he's much better informed about the meds than my neuro.   Roll Eyes

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 2:52pm

I've taken ALOT of Imitrex injections & still will if I need to, but I find that the more Imitrex I take, the more Imitrex I NEED to take. I use DHE IM injections now to try and prevent the attacks when possible. It'll even stop most attacks but sometimes I still end up wishing I would've taken the Imitrex instead (for the "10's"). I take up to two 1mg IM injections per a day of DHE.

Remember not to mix the two meds though ! Be safe !

I4B

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 9:22pm

Same here, Imitrex4Breakfast.  I went from 10 injects/month to around 40. I am still trying to convince my GP that high doses of verapamil won't kill me.  And this is the longest cycle I've ever had, at 6 months and counting.  I usually endure 2-3 months, tops.  Do you know how the DHE IM injections would be written, in case my doc asks?  He's very helpful, but by no means is a neurologist.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!