Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
There may be hope... (Read 1927 times)
Bill Wheeler
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

There may be hope...
Apr 25th, 2012 at 4:14pm

Hi, my name is Bill and I just found this site. I suffered from CH starting at age 20. I would have episodes every July and December, each lasting approx 6 weeks. I would get 3 to 6 attacks per day, and they were always brutal. I was finally diagnosed with CH when I was 35 years old and prescribed Cafergot. All that did was make my legs ache but the CH's stll came so I gave up on that treatment. Suddenly at age 42 and for the next three years the episodes only came once a year in July. After the July episode at age 45 I went two years with no CH's. At age 47 in July I had another episode and this time I tried Oxygen which seemed to work really well. I then went four years until the next episode which was in July 1999. I had no Oxygen, but this episode only seemed to last about three weeks. Since my last CH in July 1999 I have not had another episode. I am currently 64.

A Doctor once told me that the CH's would decrease with age. I didn't believe him, but in my case I guess he was right.

I have nothing but sympathy for all that suffer and I hope you lose them like I have.

One thing I am curious about. When I was having an episode I always seemed to intuitively know when I was having the last headache of that episode. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2012 at 4:16pm by Bill Wheeler »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: There may be hope...
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 4:23pm

Sometimes they do.

Sometimes they don't.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 6:18pm

A friend of ours here still had them when he died in his 70's.  Others, like Charlie just had his stop at a certain point.  Hence Bill's..."sometimes they do and sometimes they don't."

One thing about this condition of ours, it never seems to have a concrete pattern to it.  Meds we take that work for a long time..stop working.  What works for some, doesn't for others.  I could go on with examples, but I think you get what I'm trying to convey.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 11:35pm

Good Lord...I felt like I was reading about my story. I too started at age 20 and the first thing that I was put on was cafergot 4 years later. The rest of the story is about the same except I had my last one in 2000 and I am now 63. I am hoping we both are right and we are 2 of the lucky ones who have finally "outgrown them". Smiley

edit to add.....My last two cycles were both longer than normal with the last one lasting 6 months.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2012 at 11:38pm by Jimi »  

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 7:04am

Knowing instinctively it's the last one of a cycle, Bill?  I'm dinkum with you on that.  For me it's commonly a serious K8 or better but it sings, ever so sweetly, as my knees buckle. At the risk of offending against our standard of conduct, I'd honestly describe it as orgasmic but I  know it's my last attack and I can be a people again.

It's posts like yours that give us hope,old mate, and I look forward to sharing a beer with you.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2012 at 9:53am

At the risk of offending against our standard of conduct, I'd honestly describe it as orgasmic

Don't make me lock you Brian! Angry

Welcome to the board Bill, I was told the same thing in my 20's, I MIGHT outgrow them. Just turned 52, had my last cycle almost 2 years ago. Crossing my fingers and hoping I've joined you and Jimi as "outgrowing" them. Unlike you and Brian, I'm the fade in fade out type, the headaches just keep getting milder and milder until I realize it's been a week or more since my last hit, then i know the cycle is done. Funny how different we all are.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!