Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do you ever just tell people (Read 2239 times)
Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Do you ever just tell people
May 12th, 2012 at 8:16pm

that what you have is migraines so that you dont have to go into a long explaination of what exactly you do have? So it is easier for people to understand? It has gotten so fustrating for me to have to explain everything and when you do the person looks at you as if you are a crazy person. Especially if it is someone you work with. You dont want them to think you are nuts and you will go off your rocker when you are taking care of a patient or something so i just say that i have really bad migraines. I mean how do you explain things to people? i would rather just explain it that way i guess than get fustrated. I already am fustrated because it seems that nobody understands or seems to care anyway. And i guess thats how people are. If it isnt happenening to them they dont want to understand.
Just venting i guess. Thanks for listening.

IP Logged

Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus

It's always darkest before
the dawn.

North Carolina, USA
Re: Do you ever just tell people
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2012 at 8:23pm

I haven't told them I have migraines... but when I'm frustrated like that and they assume I have migraines I don't correct them sometimes.

*edited to add I do have migraines too so that throws another wrench into the whole confusion of the explanation.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2012 at 8:24pm by Tara Ann »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
taratheking taraann77 taraann1977 peachypie77 imjustpeachypie  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #2 - May 12th, 2012 at 8:54pm

Bonnie...No.  I would never tell anyone that.  I say I have a rare neurological condition that is excruciating and has no cure.

Anyone that really cares about you, will ask more and then you can go into an explanation.  The others....aren't worth the effort because they don't give a damn anyway.  If you are looking for something to an explain to an employer though, I can send you something that will explain it to them. 

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - May 12th, 2012 at 9:26pm

Nope.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2012 at 9:28pm

well linda, i never thought of putting it that way. Will try putting it into those terms next time. 
And yes if you could send me something for the employer that would be wonderful. Gonna be looking for a new job when i get to Arizona. WHile my supervisor here has been good about things i am a little nervous about starting a new job. Been thinking about if i should be up front about things or just take things as they come and not say anything.

As for other people and their additude about our condition... Even my best friend just doesnt seem to understand or at least i dont think she does. And i think that if a person doesnt feel what we feel they just cant understand i guess. I get fustrated with my husband too. He tries also but his take on it is that it is just a bad headache and trying to get him to understand that it is more that that is a hard thing to do. I want to go after him with a pen and stick it in his eyeball sometimes when i am having a bad episode so he can feel how i feel. But i wouldnt want to inflict such pain on such a wonderful man!!!!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2012 at 9:51pm

Try this:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I have two copies at all times in my briefcase.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

tachead
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2012 at 12:34am

Quote:
The others....aren't worth the effort because they don't give a damn anyway.

Amen
tachead

IP Logged

Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - May 13th, 2012 at 9:36am

Thanks Brew. Gonna make some copies too!!!!

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #8 - May 14th, 2012 at 12:11am

Go to Burger King or 7-Eleven or someplace and get your husband a large Slushie.  Tell him to drink it as fast as he can.  When he starts getting a brain freeze tell him to keep drinking until he has the whole thing gone.  That in my experience is about a level of a K4 to a K 5.  That will give him just a taste of it.

For others that you think might listen after you tell them it is a rare neurological condition give them the Slushie analogy. 

Simon's letter is also very helpful for those who are interested.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Bonnie lee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - May 14th, 2012 at 9:18am

Thanks Jerry! Gonna do that with him and my son!!!

IP Logged

japanzaman
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Fukuoka, JAPAN
Reply #10 - May 14th, 2012 at 9:37am

Tell them to google cluster headache. If they don't know how to read, or don't care to read, then you really don't need to worry about what they think. Cool

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #11 - May 14th, 2012 at 11:24am

I'd just like to add something to Jerry's slushie anaolgy. After he has that brain freeze...tell him the pain isn't going to go away in a few short mins.  It will last anywhere from 1/2 hr. to 3 hours with an average durastion of 1 and a half hrs.  Jerry put it at a KIP 4 or 5.  A KIP 9 or 10...well, lets just say he'll be rolling on the floor begging  you to put him out of his misery.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Saladin27
CH.com Newbie

Montreal, Canada
Reply #12 - May 19th, 2012 at 5:32am

Here is what I just recently started to do. Some of my closest friends just didnt get it. In montreal the cold tap water can be verrrrry frigid cold. Even in May.

So I start by telling my friends: "who here thinks they're tough? I get headaches for 1-4 hours. You think you can handle 2-3 min? If youre a man you'll take my test!!"

Thats when testosterone kicks in. I get at least one taker. I take him to the shower. I open the lower faucet to full blast. I ask him how long he thinks he can keep his head there. And then I ask him to prove it. The current record holder lasted 20 seconds. (Its like a kip6-7, its pretty painful) Its a human reaction to back away from pain. I make sure to mention that. Then I tell them "what if you couldnt take your head out?? What would you do?? I put my head in there for 2-3 min repetitions for 30 min during my attacks because IT FEELS GOOD compared to the CH!!!! It relieves my pain.

I've gotten my point across like this, but you need realllllly cold water. Of course you cant do this at work either.

VERRRY SATISFYING!!! EARNED ME ALLOT OF RESPECT AND SYMPATHY. I even stuck my head in there during PF time and outlasted them like crazy because CH has made me into a pain warrior. Wussies!!!  Grin
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2012 at 5:35am by Saladin27 »  

Patience and fortitude conquer all things

IP Logged

Cadz
CH.com Newbie

There's Glitter on the
Floor!

Canberra, Australia
Reply #13 - May 20th, 2012 at 8:06am

I have thought about telling people it's a migraine; but never have. As Linda said; if you try to explain, and the person cares; they will ask more questions. Otherwise, it's not worth the effort.

My partner has been very supportive and understanding; and has done far more research into cluster headaches than I have!

The OUCH printout has been very useful, I pass it on to my employers, colleagues and friends. Although people can't really grasp the pain; they at least have an idea of what is happening.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!