Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Insurance and Medical Records (Read 650 times)
AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Insurance and Medical Records
May 19th, 2012 at 8:38pm

Having just decided to pursue another neurologist, I got a copy of my medical records.  In reading them, I found them to be accurate in what was presented, however--there were several glaring omissions.  The neurologist never noted my massive weight loss from Topamax (60 lbs in 2 months), never noted the severe GI issues (including nocturnal diarrhea, ewwww!), and never noted my ER visit for dehydration from the same.  All of these things were discussed with him.  He did note my dx, cluster headaches, but I could not find an official diagnosis code on the paperwork.

My question is, how important is it for those details to be included in his notes? What constitutes the "medical record" anyway?  All I have is the doctor's notes, no test results or anything.  No diagnosis codes.  And I'm also wondering because if I ever have to switch jobs/insurance, I want to make sure I don't get screwed by inaccurate notes.  After all, I am taking drugs that should otherwise label me as a depressed, bipolar, epileptic heart patient!   Cheesy

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Insurance and Medical Records
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2012 at 9:04am

In dealing with insurance companies, the worst sin is to give evidence/suggestion of deception (s they define it!)

Think I'd go back to the doc and ask him to complete/correct is records and give you an undated copy. Trying to work out holes/problems with insurance can be messy, long, frustrating.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Akina
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

BFE, NC
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2012 at 4:24pm

You need to go back and have them give you the full record.  A medical record should include tests, labs, everything.  The ER visit might not be included, but that just requires a quick run to the Medical Records dept of the hospital you were seen at.

Just make sure that when you request your medical record, if they have you fill out a piece of paper requesting it, double check to see if it asks if you want to include labwork, xray results, and other things in the record.

IP Logged

AppleNutClusters
CH.com Old Timer

2012, Year of the Honey
Badger

Richmond, Virgina, USA
Reply #3 - May 20th, 2012 at 4:56pm

Agreed, I wouldn't expect him to have my ER records but I'm wondering why he would not have put a mention of it in his notes.  Nor the other things I told him about, like the weight loss.  Makes me wonder how amenable he will be to changing it now.

jgroulx@mac.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!