Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to the board and a few questions (Read 1561 times)
TJMBeav
CH.com Junior

Longview, WA USA
New to the board and a few questions
Jun 20th, 2012 at 12:04pm

Have been reading the older posts and getting familar with some of the topics.  Quick background for me - I am near 51, white male, smoke moderately, drink more than I should (but what Scotsmen doesn't) have a pretty stressfull project right now (Engineer by training).  Had my first attack about three years ago.  This is my 5th cycle since the first one.  Went through the sinus infection diagnosis, had a carodic artery Ultra sound, MRI of the head and a confirmed diagnosis last year.  Have not been to a nerologist because it takes forever to get an appointment and the cycle was over - so being on an HSA I always canceled.  Have only tried one preventative (TOP) which I quit because didn't like the side effects and it made the headaches worse - then the cycle ended.

Current cycle started about a month ago - gradual, but seems to be a peak right about now.  2-4 headaches a day with an occasional 48 hour break.  Have a doctors appointment on Friday - hope to get them to do the Pred and Verp treatment (seems like the best first shot at prevention).  Not on any medication (other than a bit xanex) and the Imitrex.  Tried everything to figure out trigger - none I could find.  The Imitrex (actually Imigran) injections work well for me - O2 did not do the trick - but never got to the levels recommended on this site.

One question for the group - decided to try the D3 starting last weekend.  Started with 8000 (4000 in am and 4000 PM).  Seemed to work for two days, but now it seems like I get a CH within an hour or so of taking my first dose - is that normal.  Tried upping to 10000 yesterday - but had a 8-9 KIP in the evening.  Have been taking a Sup pill at night - which seems to be good a preventing a wake up headache.  Will test that out tonight because I am out of pills.

One thing for those struggling to get Imetrix.  I have found a Canadian drugstore that will supply 24 doses for just under $30 per dose - by far the cheapest.  Do have to have script.  Not sure if we are suppose to give out pharma names - but I will share if someone wants to know it.  It is brand name manufactured in Turkey and takes a couple of weeks to get.  I am anixously awaiting a new supply as I am blowing through them at the moment.

Curious how many of you think you get rebounds from the Imetrix - I have tested it and can't make up my mind.  Problem is if I wait too long to take it takes longer to get the response - if I take it quick it is gone within 5 minutes.

Trying to decide right now if I should take a shot or not - probably will since I am at work

I do feel ya'alls pain..... Sad

Go Beavs

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Re: New to the board and a few questions
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2012 at 12:48am

Welcome.....

I'd like to say that if you can obtain it, high flow O2 is one of the best abortives. Many started out with low flow rates and had no success..... 25lpm or higher will usually do the trick.

I'm on the D3 myself...I've notice no increase in hits or severity....I can't swear it's helped but it hasn't hurt at all.

Once again...welcome.

Bill
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2012 at 12:54am by Racer1_NC »  

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 8:17am

Absolutely read the O2 link at the left, and push for it at your upcoming appointment. It is by far the best abortive around, for most of us that is. When you say $30/dose, do you mean per .5ml vial? That could be an avenue for someone without insurance but with insurance I pay $45 for 5 vials. Your desire to begin a pred taper, coupled with a verapamil Rx for prevention is a good plan. Keep in mind you need to be monitored, and the effective dose for many of us is between 360-940mg/day. Much higher than label use. Good luck, and God bless. lance

IP Logged

TJMBeav
CH.com Junior

Longview, WA USA
Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2012 at 3:31pm

Thanks for the reply's.  You are correct on the no insurance (at least till it hits a high $$ number).  Still taking D3, but lowered the dosage - even if it doesn't help the CH, this spring in the NW has been so bad I don't think my body has produced and D3 in a year.

Started my Pred taper, on 240 mg verp - my Nurse practioner is a darling - gave me 5 refills on the Imetrix, which by itself is a stress releiver.  Only had one CH which was quickly aborted with a shot.  No real side effects from the Pred yet - one more day before I start the taper.

Full disclosure - I did take a very much needed 4 day break from the project I am working on, played a round of golf - but other than that - just relaxed.  Back at work now.  Will see how it goes.  Does seem like I get a shadow of a headache once in awhile - but has not lead to a CH but that one time.

Enjoying the pain free and relatively stress free time - regardless how long it lasts.

Good luck all Smiley

Go Beavs

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2012 at 8:08am

Quote:
Curious how many of you think you get rebounds from the Imetrix - I have tested it and can't make up my mind.

I normally get 2-3 attacks per day.  If I use Trex it jumps to 8-9 attacks per day.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

TJMBeav
CH.com Junior

Longview, WA USA
Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2012 at 11:20am

I have not experienced anything like that - sorry you do.  Not sure what I would do if the shot's hurt more than they helped.

Had one hit yesterday which got bad enough to take a shot.  Start to taper down the pred tomorrow.  Think I will up my verm amount a bit - as I do feel shadows of a headache, and would really like this to work.  Going to try 80 mg morning, 160 mg mid afternoon (my most active period is early evening) and 80 mg at bed time.

Good luck to all

Go Beavs

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!