Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oxygen (Read 2595 times)
miss_understood
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Oxygen
Sep 11th, 2012 at 1:43pm

Hi! So my doctor decided to give me oxygen, but this is what the script says..."high flow o2. 8-10 L @ 60% x 15-20'"

I know I can get a regulator, but what about this 60%? I need 100% right?

IP Logged

tachead
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Re: Oxygen
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 1:53pm

Yes you need  100%.  You also need the proper mask...non rebreather or Opti-mask. Thats a low flow so you will need a bag on the the mask. Doctors Roll Eyes Try to get a regulator that supplies at least 15 lpm, 25 is better. Happy huffin. I think the last part is 15 to 20 minutes. 60% is 60% with that low flow and the holes in the non-rebreather mask your not going to get 100%. You will with an opti-mask or demand system. You can also tape the holes shut on the crappy non-rebreather. Wink
tachead
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2012 at 1:57pm by tachead »  

IP Logged

miss_understood
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 1:58pm

Okay, so if I get the mask with the bag and a high flow regulator, will the 60% be okay or do I need to beg for a new prescription again?

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 2:42pm

Just by using a non-rebreather mask and pure oxygen you'll be getting 100%.

Once you've got the oxygen you are in control of what regulator and mask you use.

IP Logged

tachead
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 3:12pm

No new script is needed. Your 02 will come 100% in the tanks. What usually is scripted is 100% @20 minutes per hour or PRN which is as needed. The 02 supplier delivers 100% 02 and other gases would be introduced at delivery to reduce that should it be needed. Cool
And what Mike said..lol
tachead

IP Logged

miss_understood
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 3:27pm

Thank you both! Do you guys recommend any oxygen suppliers that are reliable? I've never done this. Also, with the O2ptimask, do I have to cover anything with my fingers or take the mask off the breathe out?

Thanks again!

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 3:37pm

miss_understood wrote on Sep 11th, 2012 at 3:27pm:
Thank you both! Do you guys recommend any oxygen suppliers that are reliable? I've never done this. Also, with the O2ptimask, do I have to cover anything with my fingers or take the mask off the breathe out?

Thanks again!

You will need to hyperventilate the o2 for fast aborts, so the regulator should either be a welders regulator with unlimited flow rate or get a high flow regulator capable of at least 25 lpm to hyperventilate.

Welders regulators can be purchased at Harbor Freight or any welder supply store.  High flow regulators you can order from Flotec and/or ebay.  I recommend Flotec.

If you are using the O2ptimask, which is the recommended NON-rebreather mask you can purchase here on this website, you will not have to cover anything with your fingers nor take the mask away from your face when hyperventilating.

As for an o2 supplier, sounds like you are getting o2 as a prescription in which case any medical o2 supplier locally where you reside should be of assistance.

All the best Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

tachead
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 4:08pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Read this it will really help you out.
tachead Wink

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 9:23pm

You need to get the O2pti mask from this website. O2 suppliers don't have them.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Made just for Cluster Headaches. You won't be sorry.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

miss_understood
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 4:05am

Ordered my o2ptimask online, so it should be here very soon!

Now, just to deal with all the paperwork to get oxygen..... Ugh.

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Reply #10 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 8:26am

Have you found a supplier? You don't state where you live but Apria has locations all over the place. I get mine from a local medical supplier. Google for your area and you should get all the info you need. Good luck, and God bless. lance

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2012 at 11:18pm

wimsey1 wrote on Sep 14th, 2012 at 8:26am:
Have you found a supplier? You don't state where you live but Apria has locations all over the place. I get mine from a local medical supplier. Google for your area and you should get all the info you need. Good luck, and God bless. lance

Apria is very easy to deal with.  Been with them for the past cycle after they took over Praxair.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

helplesswife
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Ontario, Canada
Reply #12 - Nov 4th, 2012 at 10:46am

It just amazes me how doctors seem to just have no clue, really causing me to lose my faith in them.  The first time my husband asked fo 02 (after we discovered this treatment through our own research), he looked at him like he had 3 heads, but gave it to him anyway.  This time around, the doctor (a different one) gave it to him, but started asking him the questions about why and how this works, etc..

I know there is alot for doctors to learn about the workings of the human body and the different things that can go wrong, but it just floors me when they have never heard of something or aren't familiar with something that a lay person could figure out quite easily.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!