Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CYPROHEPTADINE (Read 4214 times)
Giovanni
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Cary|USA|usa|472|185|NC,North_Carolina
CYPROHEPTADINE
Nov 2nd, 2012 at 8:01am

During part of 2010 and almost all of 2011 I had a brutal cycle with no remissions having from 3 to 5 clusterheadaches per day.   On my doctor’s visit, December 2011, the neurologists prescribed the drug cyproheptadine 4mg X 3 per day.   After about 2 weeks the cycle from hell stopped.  I continued the drug for about 2 months and then quit.  I really do not know if the cycle would have stopped spontaneously or the drug played a role.  I have s suspicion that the drug played an important role in my remission.   During the fall of each year I have sinus issues and started taking cyproheptadine again .  My usual cycle almost always starts this time of year.  This year I have been pain free with no headaches.  My fingers are still crossed that the cycle will not happen.
The insurance company paid for the first prescription and one refill and then notified me that the drug was not approved for clusterheadaches and therefore would not pay for any subsequent refills.  The drug cost $90.00 for 90 pills—a one month’s supply.
From my research on the internet, the drug appears to fiddle with serotonin, which makes some sense to the positive reaction.  The RX makes me tired, I sleep a lot, and my appetite increases during times that I am taking it.
Here’s a couple of links on the drug:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
John  Smiley

IP Logged

wimsey1
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

MA
Re: CYPROHEPTADINE
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2012 at 8:14am

Sounds interesting. I note it does list migraine treatment among its various uses. It might be that this drug has a surprise effectiveness on CHs similar to indocin. I'd be curious to hear from anyone else who has tried it. Glad your cycle is suppressed or gone. God bless. lance

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 9:18am

This med affects histamine levels. Many years ago, Cluster was referred to as a "histamine headache" because there was speculation that this was a major cause.

Search of med literature today showed only 7 articles, mostlly in the 1970s, only a single case report in the last few years. Means that this med has not gained any attention as a treatment for Cluster (although may be of use in situations where the doc suspects histamine is a factor).

Long way to say: don't hold your breath. Sorry.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2012 at 4:05pm

...an old line migraine med.....back about 26-7 yrs...when my docs had no idea what ch was...and neither did I...they would scurry to their med books and bring back a script for "one of those...yeah, one of those" ....

after inderal...periactin was next....gave it a one yr try (at that time i had more patience than sense...and no ch.com)....nada for the ch (at best, minimal side effects)..sounds like your doc is reading an old book....and really surprised at the cost...I don't recall that

10+ meds later...verapamil proved to be the most effective...combined with O2, energy drinks, zomig ns...and possibly vit d...the beast is at least bearable now...

I agree with Bob...."general" effectiveness would have been proven by now...which is NOT to say it didn't work for you John...and wouldn't work again...twere I you...I'd refill the script

.....if it doesn't work anymore...you know where to come

Best,

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 8:51pm

I tried it, unfortunately it did not help...

IP Logged

Joe-P
CH.com Newbie

Arlington, VA
Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2012 at 7:50am

I have used cyproheptadine (4mg) and nortriptyline (25mg) together as preventatives for years.  When I get breakthrough HAs, I add melatonin (3mg).  My regime is one of each in the morning and 2 of each at night.  I'll take melatonin at night when needed.  I keep a stockpile of Imitrex/Sumatripan nasal (20mg) for aborts.   

IP Logged

Giovanni
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Cary|USA|usa|472|185|NC,North_Carolina
Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2012 at 8:50am

I think the doc pulled from old ideas because the new ones really didn't work that well.  Anyway, I'll keep you advised on how it works with me on prevents. Something has kept me from entering into a new cycle.  The only other RX I'm taking now is Verapamil @480 ER per day.

John

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!