Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Therapy in the pipeline. (Read 3018 times)
Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Therapy in the pipeline.
Jul 12th, 2013 at 9:31pm

The Pipeline in Headache Therapy.

Vollbracht S, Rapoport AM.
Source
Department of Neurology, Montefiore Headache Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1575 Blondell Avenue, Ste 225, Bronx, NY, 10461, USA

Abstract

Migraine is a common, disabling, neurovascular disorder characterized by episodic attacks of head pain and associated disability plus systemic autonomic and neurologic symptoms. The advent of the triptan class of medication in the 1990s revolutionized the acute treatment of migraine, but many migraineurs do not respond optimally or at all to triptans, have intolerable adverse effects, or have contraindications to their use. Preventive pharmacotherapy has advanced mostly through serendipity, with new drugs being found effective while being used for other indications. There remains a significant need for new medications and devices that can provide effective, rapid, and sustained pain relief without adverse effects or recurrence. Several new acute and preventive therapies for the treatment of migraine and cluster headaches have shown promise and are currently under investigation. This article covers innovative delivery mechanisms, calcitonin gene-related peptide receptor antagonists, antibodies to calcitonin gene-related peptide and its receptor, 5-HT1F receptor agonists, transient receptor potential vanilloid receptor modulators, orexin receptor antagonists, glial cell modulators, and neurostimulation

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Re: Therapy in the pipeline.
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2013 at 7:56pm

Sounds a bit like they are referring to the non-triptan type meds coming out ... some of which I mentioned in the "LY2951742" thread.
Researchers have discovered that vasoconstriction is not necessarily needed to stop or prevent migraine headaches (Which may or may not also apply to clusters).
IMO, The R&D done for migraines now will also benefit cluster patients in the not-so-far off future.

I4B

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2013 at 10:09pm

Hi I4B,
Just curious. CH's we know are caused when blood vessel
dilate in the head, drugs mainly prescibed for CH's are
designed to constrict blood vessel's back to normal.
Vitamin D3 and Omega 3 fish oil are known for there
anti-inflammatory properties, which it would seem is
the main reason why 80%of us remain pain free.
I'm wondering,with this new therapy is it based
on these lines. Questioning

Hoppy.

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 12:56am

These new meds selectively "... Targets 5-HT1F receptors expressed in the trigeminal pathway...." "...Without vasoconstriction ", so I'd have to say No, I don't think that these new drugs have anything to do with vasoconstriction or anti-inflammatory properties. Vasodilation and/or inflammation may be an effect and not a cause.

See-->Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I4B

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 2:31am

Thanks for that information, it made it more clear to me
now, although they seem to be focusing more on migraine's
than CH's.

Cheers, Hoppy.

IP Logged

Imitrex4Breakfast
CH.com Veteran

Kentuckiana
Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 6:14am

They are focusing on migraines, but there's not much R&D for clusters and that's how we get most of our meds. So, it may be beneficial to us, it may not.

I4B

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 10:04am

Hoppy, vasodilation appears to be secondary to the primary activity of both migraine and CH.  Both are separate disorders, but are also both Central Nervous System disorders.  The latest research is indicating strongly the CNS activity.  Dr Peter Goadsby was involved in one of the later studies indicating this.  Sorry I don't have a link available at the moment.  I remember it was posted on here a few weeks ago.

I4B it totally correct.  There is next to no research on CH specifically.  We just don't draw the kind of dollars.  That is a good reason for you to get involved with Headache on the Hill, the AHMA and the AHDA.  Through these organizations we are trying to get the government to allocate some of the moneys they put to medical research into HA research.  Even though CH occurs somewhat on the order of MS more was spent on MS research last year than has been spent on all HA disorders combined in the last 25 years.  HA is the number three cause of loss of productivity in the US, but receives virtually no research.

At the moment the ONLY CH medication being worked on is BOL148, which is being done by Entheogen and Clusterbusters.  If we are ever able to get it through Phase 2 trials and then get a US trial it will be the ONLY medication ever developed for CH primarily.

Hope this makes sense.  Was up all night, and my thoughts aren't tracking as well as I'd like.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 6:23pm

This is stated in the above artical.

Several new acute and preventive therapies for the treatment of migraine and cluster headaches have shown promise and are currently under investigation.

Hoping there on the right track now, is that BOL148 Questioning 

Hoppy.

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2013 at 1:32am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!