Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cluster Headaches return after 3 pain free years (Read 3820 times)
CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
Cluster Headaches return after 3 pain free years
Aug 30th, 2014 at 9:30am

Hello Smiley

I didn't think I would ever be posting again after 3 years of pain free nights.  But after the past 10 days of cluster headaches every night here I am.

A little bit of update/info....Meds that I have been taking is 120 mg of Verapamil.  My original dosage, after being diagnosed more than 3 years ago, was 240 mg.  After 18 months of remission (for lack of a better word) I reduced the dosage to 120 mg and was pain free.  I had (past tense) a prescription for oxygen but never had to use it as the Verapamil kicked its butt.

Recent medical history.  Late May of this year I fell and fractured my hip, had surgery (plate and pins) and I'm recuperating nicely.  It was about a week after I came home from the hospital that the headaches returned.  Very mild in severity compared to the past and very sporadic, maybe once every 4 or 5 nights and lasting max 10 minutes.

It's just this past 10 days that they have returned with a vengeance with last night probably being the worst I have ever experienced.  Same old same old, not long after I fell asleep and lasted somewhere around 4 or 5 hours.

About 7 days ago I upped my dosage of Verapamil to 240 mg.  1 pill in the morning 1 pill in the evening.

I was wondering (until I can see my family physician) how safely, blood pressure-wise, can I increase the dosage up to 480.  Is it advisable to increase it right away up to 480? or in stages? to 360 then 480?  And should I take all 3 or 4 at the same time?

Hoping for answers and relief.  Thank you for your support.

Carole  Embarrassed

WWW https://www.facebook.com/HuggableHound  
IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Re: Cluster Headaches return after 3 pain free years
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 10:17am

Carole,

Yep, That's how it works.

Try the D3 method, it is helping me. Gotta play with the amounts of D3.. Everyones different. My best advise would be to act quickly, Don't wait around on this cause as you know it only gets worse.

Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 11:56am

Excuse my inability to find it in the search in this forum, but what is the D3 method?

Thanks Bill

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 12:03pm

Verap. is the most widely used preventive with dosing go as high as 900mg. I would not increase, now, without your doc's O.K.

At high doses, there is the possibility of heart problems; rare but requires regular EKGs and the heart issues resolve quickly when you stop using it, i.e., not an issue which should scare you off Verap unless you already have a histsory of hear problems.
=====
Print and give to your doc.
----
J Headache Pain. 2011 Apr;12(2):173-6. Epub 2011 Jan 22.
Cardiac safety in cluster headache patients using the very high dose of verapamil (=720 mg/day).
Lanteri-Minet M, Silhol F, Piano V, Donnet A.
SourceDépartement d'Evaluation et traitement de la Douleur Médecine palliative, Pôle Neurosciences Cliniques du CHU de Nice, Hôpital Pasteur Avenue de la Voie Romaine, 06002 Nice Cedex, France. lanteri-minet.m@chu-nice.fr

Abstract
Use of high doses of verapamil in preventive treatment of cluster headache (CH) is limited by cardiac toxicity. We systematically assess the cardiac safety of the very high dose of verapamil (verapamil VHD) in CH patients. Our work was a study performed in two French headache centers (Marseilles-Nice) from 12/2005 to 12/2008. CH patients treated with verapamil VHD (=720 mg) were considered with a systematic electrocardiogram (EKG) monitoring. Among 200 CH patients, 29 (14.8%) used verapamil VHD (877±227 mg/day). Incidence of EKG changes was 38% (11/29). Seven (24%) patients presented bradycardia considered as nonserious adverse event (NSAE) and four (14%) patients presented arrhythmia (heart block) considered as serious adverse event (SAE). Patients with EKG changes (1,003±295 mg/day) were taking higher doses than those without EKG changes (800±143 mg/day), but doses were similar in patients with SAE (990±316 mg/day) and those with NSAE (1,011±309 mg/day). Around three-quarters (8/11) of patients presented a delayed-onset cardiac adverse event (delay =2 years). Our work confirms the need for systematic EKG monitoring in CH patients treated with verapamil. Such cardiac safety assessment must be continued even for patients using VHD without any adverse event for a long time.

PMID:21258839[PubMed]
======
Also print the PDF file, below, and use to discuss options with the doc.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
Reply #4 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 1:17pm

Thank you so much!

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 1:55pm

CaroleA wrote on Aug 30th, 2014 at 11:56am:
Excuse my inability to find it in the search in this forum, but what is the D3 method?

Hi Carole.
You can find helpful information here Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.
You can also browse this long thread for more info and many personal stories about D3. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
-Pat

IP Logged

CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 7:14pm

Thank you!  Off to read

IP Logged

CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2014 at 12:53pm

Of course being in Canada, I was unable to find a multi-vitamin supplement close to either the Kirkland or Citracal plus so I am going with the breakdown listed.  I do live close enough to the US border that I can get the Citracal plus so I will do that in the next week.

The only one I'm concerned about is the Calcium supplement.  "Accordingly, in order to minimize a possible interaction with calcium that may limit verapamil effectiveness, separate the verapamil and calcium doses by at least 8 to 12 hours.  Discus this regimen with your PCP, neurologist, or cardiologist in order to work out an optimum dosing schedule."

I'm currently taking the verapamil once in the morning and once in the evening, separated by 12 hours.  Is there any benefit or detriment to taking both the verapamil at one time?  That way I can allow the 12 hours to take the Calcium.

Thank you!

Carole

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2014 at 3:27pm

Hi Carole
Sorry to hear the beast is back in your life. I get all my D3 and it's co-factors from iherb.com in California. They do all the larger doses that we need and are very reasonably priced. Even with shipping here to the UK it's cheaper than buying it here. Shipping and delivery is fairly fast too.
Hope this helps.
Maz.

IP Logged

CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2014 at 6:33pm

Thank you Maz, I will check that out Smiley

IP Logged

CaroleA
CH.com Junior

Mallorytown, Ontario
Reply #10 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 7:53pm

I'm on week 3 of the D3 regimen, and I have been pain free for 7 nights in a row!  I cannot thank everyone that is on this forum enough.  Without you I think I would lose my mind!  Or gouge an eye out at the very least  Smiley

Thank you thank you thank you!  Take that beast!

Carole

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #11 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 10:04pm

Hey Carol,

Thanks for the update and glad to hear the anti-inflammatory regimen is working for you.

Regarding your question on calcium...  The jury is still out on its effect on verapamil while taking the anti-inflammatory regimen.  Kirkland's Mature Multi contains 220 mg of calcium so taking it in the evening with the largest meal of the day should give your morning dose of verapamil plenty of time to do its thing.

In looking over your medical history, it's clear to me the trauma associated with broken hip you suffered and followup surgery were likely a trigger in this recent outbreak of CH. 

Trauma and surgery from the broken hip almost always result in inflammation, the body's normal defense against injuries like this.  This inflammation consumes available vitamin D3... what little you had... and that was likely all it took to restart your CH.

Now that you're on the anti-inflammatory regimen.. be sure to stay on it year round...  It will help in building bone mineral density (BMD) and that should help prevent broken bones in the future should you take another tumble. 

Be sure to take the vitamin K2 listed in this regimen.  It helps direct serum calcium away from soft tissues and arteries towards building BMD.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2014 at 10:19pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!