Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Meds (Read 1610 times)
bail
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Meds
Oct 9th, 2014 at 12:54am

This site I is the best! Does anyone have recommendation for pain killers that can be taken with imitrex? No lithium or topomax, does not work for me. I need to give my neurologist some suggestions.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Meds
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 2:14am

I'd suggest that you skip the pain killers full stop as they don't touch the pain of a CH, can give you medication rebound headaches and if using narcotic pain killers they result in dependency issues.

If you use imitrex injections or nasal spray, they will take effect far quicker than any pain killers you take too, so there is little benefit in taking them.

You mentioned lithium and topomax which are preventives, saying that they don't work. Have you tried verapamil? If so, how high a dose did you try?

Have you looked at the vitamin D3 option many of us are finding success with?

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 8:46am

Hey Bail,

I'm with Mike...  Stay away from the pain killers...  The anti-inflammatory regimen with at least 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 has proven to be an effective CH preventative for 85% of the CH'ers who take it.  At 30 cents a day for the over the counter supplements... it's very hard to beat.

Ask your neurologist or PCP for the lab test of your serum 25(OH)D.  That's the metabolite of vitamin D3 that's used to measure its status.  Nearly every CH'er who has gone in for this lab test with active CH has had their results come back indicating a vitamin D3 deficiency.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

bail
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 11:38am

Thanks my friends, I should have been clearer. I am on verapamil and have been for years. 480mg. recently they bumped that up to 620 mg.

I also don't take any regular pain relievers, just Imitrex and Verapamil. I was wondering though if anyone knew of anything else one could add to that and be safe.

As far as the Anti-Inflammatory Regimen I have started that a few days ago.

One last question on that, it says to take Vitamin B-50 for three months, after that the mature multivitamin will be sufficient. I don’t see that listed, is that just any complete multi vitamin? I already take that should I continue with it while I am on this regimen?

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 6:10pm

The multivitamin that meets the criteria is.
Kirkland adult 50+ Mature Multivitamin 1/day.

Hoppy.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2014 at 9:30pm

Likely, the biggest problem with Imitrex is folks not taking it soon enough. Delaying to see if a full blown attackis developing, a tactic of too many, can reduce the effectivenesss to near zero (or there!)

Print the PDF file, below, for you and your doc to share.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!