Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shifting stubborn shadows (Read 1456 times)
HazBazUK
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Sheffield, UK
Shifting stubborn shadows
Nov 19th, 2014 at 9:44pm

Hi all,

Recently getting hit harshly again by KIP 7/8/9 clusters. Always early morning. Always waking me up.

Have started taking 80mg verapamil before bed and 80 when I get up, along with my 240mg ER each day.

But it seems Wednesday night/Thursday morning is the time to get hit bad for me. Got the most awful kip 9 headache at about 12:30am. It 2:45am now and the bastard will not shift. Not used any abortives at all. Have no O2.

Any suggestions on how to shift the shadows, and get a few hours kip before work?

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Re: Shifting stubborn shadows
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 12:40am

Maybe ask your GP to up your Verapamil dosage, and at
the same time have a chat too him about getting on the
oxygen, and some Imigran auto injectors as an abortive,
but for now you could try slugging back a Red Bull the
one with Taurine, and some over the counter pain killers
are known to help when dealing with shadows.

Cheers, Hoppy.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 5:07am

Here in Oz there's a prescription medication called Panadiene Forte, which is paracetamol including a shot of codiene. I don't know what it's called in other countries but have no doubt google will help.

The ordinary dose is 2 pills, 3 times a day, but when it came to serious shadows I got excellent results taking just one tablet washed down with a dinkum cup of coffee.

Surprisingly, it didn't bother my sleep and came almost as a relief.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 8:34am

verap. is not a fast acting med and so I wonder if this three separate dosing routine may be retarding the overall effectiveness.

And your total daily dose is 400mg--a modest dosing for Cluster. It's not unusual to have to work up to 900mg for effective prevention. (At high doses a regular EKG is needed.)

If you are not being treated at a headache clinic, we understand that your health care system allows direct referral, by-passing local health care providers. (Contact your excellent support group for information.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register)
=======
Print the PDF file, below for your information and a good tool to discuss treatment options with your doctor.

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2014 at 8:49am by Bob Johnson »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register (96 KB | 16 )

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!