Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Guess I just don't understand, but... (Read 8981 times)
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Guess I just don't understand, but...
Jun 25th, 2015 at 9:16am

Back in the "old days" when this board was first up and getting going, those of us who were suffering would try about anything to stop the pain.

We didn't have the research on here that we do today. We just had a bunch of sufferers comparing notes and we were willing to try about anything that gave anyone some relief (and most of the time what worked for one "some of the time" didn't work for the rest of us - or just for once or twice). Lordy! I've even worn banana peels around my head all day (didn't help, but the fruit flies loved me).

What I'm getting at - today we've got years of research - the O2 research alone - my gosh - it's come a long long way from 17 years ago.. we were just shooting in the wind back then. Now it's just a standard treatment and still people are "skeptical" about it's use. My question is WHY? It's been proven to work in about 70% (or more) of us IF used properly.

And the D3 regimen - every day someone shouts it's praises - YET we still have people who come here and don't know if they want to try it..

My question is WHY? You're hurting (at least you say you are). Why not try something (that won't hurt you) that's working for so many?

One thing I will say - when Pete told me about it (and I'd been chronic since 97), I jumped on it and have been PF since (almost two years now). My neurologist is doing a happy dance (I've been his problem child for about 20 years). He's putting his CH patients on it and most of them are doing well on it.

So I guess I'm just remembering when us "old-timers" were grabbing at straws to find something that would ease up for just a little while and now that a lot of us (chronics) have found something that's working and want to share our happy time - we're getting all this "doubt" about how it might be bad for us. Heck Imitrex is BAD for us, but that never stopped anyone from overdoing it (me included).

Ok, vent over.. But some of you newbies, go back and read the archives and see how desperate we were back in the 90s and what lengths we were willing to go to get easy for just a little while.

And I do love everyone.. Not preaching - just questioning..  Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Re: Guess I just don't understand, but...
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2015 at 10:10am

When I think about what this forum was like when it was young (and I was younger  Wink), I'm always so thankful I had a place where I could get new ideas to try. The conversations were lively, often humorous, and always informative. Many of us were citizen scientists doing our best to experiment with new ideas and share results, since "medical researchers" for CH were and are pretty rare. If you think about it, DJ and this forum have brought many effective treatments to light--the best being archived for everyone's benefit. In my not so humble opinion, when you successfully use O2 and other treatments developed here, you are standing on the shoulders of giants without even knowing it. Reading the archives can be very informative.

IP Logged

MDR
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Elysburg Pa.
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2015 at 11:19am

I second that

Mark

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2015 at 5:24pm

Me too !!!

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2015 at 7:36pm

CoolBut we should not just poo poo someone else's "cure" because they are a newbie. If it is working for them great, more power to them and maybe it will help someone else...

I have heard about people poo pooing the D3 in the past and yet it is helping a bunch now.

I think there needs to be more open-mindness on the board and less trashing newbies.

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2015 at 7:38pm by CDog »  

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2015 at 10:36am

Cdog...

Anytime someone gets "any" relief they get excited, but "cure" is not a word we use around here because as of today - there is NO cure for our malady. Remissions yes, cure NO. I've been CH free for almost 2 years, but don't have any illusions that I'm "cured"... But the remission is wonderful and I hope it last forever.

As far as poo pooing anyone's relief, I agree whole-heartedly .. like I said there's been "remedies" posted on here that we laugh about now, but a lot of us tried them at the time. Ever try tabasco sauce under your tongue? Or a sand filled punching bag in the living room? I have. Worked for a few minutes..

I was on Topamax for years - worked good for me (kept me human at least) but did not work for the majority of people here.. it was known as "dopamax". I swore by it, but others just couldn't take it.. we're all different. But on the other hand I can't take Verapamil and it works great on others.

O2 most of us agree on, but it's taken years and years of "experimenting" and research to get it to the point where it is today (where it's helping). And a lot of neuro's STILL don't have a clue about it. We have newbies that come here saying their neuro said "XXX" and it pains me to see that happen because we've (the old timers) have been thru that so many times and know the newbie is being misinformed. Sometimes we might come on a little strong when we see this, but we really don't mean it except in a helpful way.

One goal we have around here is to learn all we can about this disease (and I still consider it a disease) and try to EDUCATE the doctors (who don't get much on headaches in med school) so they can help US. CH educated docs (including neuros) are few and far between.

But I guess we do get our feathers raised when someone (most of the time accidently) says they've found a "cure" - cause we know there isn't one (yet). Sometimes we just react instead of trying to explain that we're happy they found something that works for them and hope it lasts a long time.

I hope that explains some of the reactions on this board. We're really a good bunch of people and consider everyone here family and sometimes cousins get crossways, but we do eventually kiss and make up..  Kiss

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2015 at 1:16pm

Actually I use Atomic Fireballs under my tongue. It is one of the few things that work for me. I also use pepper spray in my nostril. Both ideas I got from the board and even though both have been laughed at, they help me.

I have been on the board for awhile now, I know "cure" isn't the right term, but if a newbie uses it, they get jumped all over about it. If we are here to help, it can be done in a friendly manner and the results will be better.

IP Logged

MDR
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Elysburg Pa.
Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2015 at 1:30pm

I say what ever works for you do it everybody is diffrent maybe some one else will try it and it will work for them.

Mark

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #8 - Jun 26th, 2015 at 11:00pm

I have mixed feelings on this subject. Rude and obnoxious is frankly a two way street….poster and forum…it works BOTH ways.  While I try not to be…sometimes I am a “not very nice person”…and it’s usually when someone is rude and obnoxious enough to post what is either obvious spam, blatant advertising, dangerous advice/commentary, or the clueless equivalent of walking into an AA meeting and shouting: “I know how to fix your problem….stop drinking!”

This is a long running forum with CH patient experience equivalent to THOUSANDS of years.  “This aint our first rodeo”. While we aint docs, as has been said, we ARE expert patients ….we know more about CH than almost the entirety of the medical profession. The site has archives containing almost ALL of that acquired/collected/reported knowledge…BEST anywhere. A new poster who fails to research here…heck, even briefly or selectively…at least gauging the typical tenor of discussion…. does us a dishonor. I’ve said similar before and was surprised to hear back that I am a knucklehead. While THAT may be true…it remains that research on the internet is so vastly accessible and easy  that I regularly find items that originate from ch.com in search engines completely unrelated to the site. It is a VERY SMALL effort….and a VERY small world. (Small editorial digression: so it behooves one to watch what ya say here, or anywhere online).

I have said some (other?) stupid stuff here…and I heard about it…sometimes not so gently…the old playground was kinda rough and raucous. I even once went away in a huff, but upon reflection figured that would be MY loss...so for better or worse...here I am….so should any clusterhead. What I fear is that what we now have is Sister Mary Elephant’s school for “play nice” (Claaaa-ass, CLAAA-ASS…CLAAAA-ASS…SHUDDD-UP!!!!)…so verily, the pendulum has swung. That said, I’ve got no problem with DJ’s rules for playing nice…and love me some the salt of the earth mods.  It’s fine…I’m an old plucker and I will learn a new tune…what I ask for and am more than prepared to give…is respect for family dealing with a horrendous disorder. We KNOW what you feel…we BEEN there and haven’t finished “done that” yet…YOU are family too…we CARE…we WILL help…just do your homework…dip a toe before the cannonball...please?! Not to say you can’t disagree or opine different from the “crowd”…it is well documented that some exquisite options found here were once reviled or ridiculed…just don’t be disagreeable………………..

One more thought:
A question ASKING “have ya ever tried shoving sheep shit inta ya ears” is WAY more acceptable than  a statement like: “after a 20 minute career of what I think is something sorta like clusterwhatchamacallit, I DISCOVERED that sheep shit in the ears is the answer…cured me…. and I just wanted to share it with you 30 and 40 yr sufferers who are apparently too dumb to have discovered this yourselves…………….

Now…surely I jest, can’t help it…but I am a little frustrated…hate the sin and love this sinner? Ah well…this dude abides……….

Best

Jon

PS CDog...atomic fireballs are the best  ever   Cheesy

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 12:25am

Ah man, Now I'm gonna have to get a prescription for sheep dung. Does it matter if it comes from a ram or an ewe?  We don't have a sheep in the city but I could drive over the mountains maybe and find some sheep but I'm not sure which end is the clean end when I do find it.  LOL.        I hear they have a lot of sheep in Australia.               

Sean
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2015 at 12:26am by Sean McE »  

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #10 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 2:44am

Theirs more in New Zealand, ask any Kiwi, he'll confirm
this.  Wink

Hoppy

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #11 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 3:31am

Wow, we've got thousands of 'em here too. I'll be cured in no time now.  Smiley

Sean, the rams are easier to spot - look for the end without the horns.

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #12 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 4:28am

Oh boy, I'ma gonna get in trouble if I don't clarify, especially cause I am a bit of a redneck. The " clean end " was in reference to another member's quote at the bottom of each post that he makes about political correctness. I can't stand PC and loved the quote.
      I'm pretty sure we had sheep in Eastern Washington, but we have special interest groups in Seattle that think their business is to mind your business and they think reintroducing grey wolves is a great way to keep the sheep population from exploding. It worked last year. If the market for sheep dung takes off the Brits and Kiwis are going to have a corner on the market. On the other hand, if wolf scat works better I know where to look.
        When the topic turns to sheep, it's usually risky business! Or maybe Risque.

Sean

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 4:35am

Hoppy wrote on Jun 27th, 2015 at 2:44am:
this.  Wink

Hoppy

I can actually tell you now, there's more sheep here in aussie !
But as a kiwi, I can also tell you,  New Zealand is a place where men are men, and sheep are scared !   Wink
                          Grin
colin

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #14 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 4:44am

Sorry BarbaraD,  we sure twisted that thread in a new direction, but it's Friday night, my head's not hurting and I couldn't resist. And if I could figure out how to add a smiley face I would.

Sean

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 5:05am

Sean McE wrote on Jun 27th, 2015 at 4:44am:
  Sorry BarbaraD,  we sure twisted that thread in a new direction, but it's Friday night, my head's not hurting and I couldn't resist. And if I could figure out how to add a smiley face I would.

Sean

Hi Sean, glad your pain free mate !
  I don't know if you were serious or not ? but if you want to add a smiley face or an array of other faces, when you type a reply, directly under the box where you type your message, is a whole row of faces !!  Just put the arrow on anyone you choose click and hey presto 
           Cheesy Grin Angry Shocked Cool Huh Kiss Cry
cheers
colin
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2015 at 5:07am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #16 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 5:23am

Thanks Colin,  I'm just patiently waiting for my cycle to end so I can have a drink and enjoy it. Actually had two back to back hits two nights ago which surprised me but my O2 tank was at the ready so no problem. My allergies blew up during that day but I didn't add up 2 and 2 till later. Benadryl went back on the menu for a little while. Hope you're PF also.

I've been trying what you advised but when I click on them all I get is the symbols you find on the number keys at the top of the keyboard. Like this.... Kiss Undecided Lips Sealed Embarrassed Tongue Roll Eyes Sad Angry Grin Cheesy Smiley

Sean

OK, never mind, I get it, they don't show up till you actually post.
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2015 at 5:26am by Sean McE »  

IP Logged

blacklab
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 5:49am

LOL.
Hi Sean,
                I'm pain free, but getting weird shadow symptoms and my sleep is all over the place, had a red bull in the wee hours last nite.  Also going to try Hoppy's apple thing and also got a piece of ginger today. Hopefully this is another skipped cycle, if so, I'm going to wean off verapamil, ( only 180mg daily),  then, like you, I'm going to try my first beer in 4 years !!!   Grin
   glad things are working for you Sean
Barb, So sorry we've hijacked your great thread !
  apologies

colin

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #18 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 8:48am

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Boys will be boys.. Smiley Smiley and I got a good laugh.. Sheep dung? Now that's one I NEVER tried and I thought I'd tried about everything..

But your point is taken .. we've had a lot of "trolls" on here with wonder CURES over the years and can usually spot them. "Ali" was one of our favorites.. he came on under different names, but was chased down under his IP address and finally banished from the site (we think for good - maybe). that was one of the reasons people got so "uptight" about the word "cure" on this board.. He was always coming up with something (and wanting money for it most of the time)...

The Old timers around here recognized him for what he was, but some of the newbies fell for his bull.. That was really not acceptable. Maybe that explains some of the harsh remarks.

I can't really say a whole lot about doing research before you jump in... when I first found this board (back in 98) I jumped on immediately (of course we didn't have any "research" back then - just a few clusterheads finding out we weren't alone any more) and started posting - Like "HELP! I hurt - what can I do???" I was just so happy to find that someone else was hurting too (not that I wished that on them, but I thought I was the only one that had this).

I'm sure I've offended people over the years (not intentionally) but sometimes when you're posting (and not talking face to face) things just don't come out the way (or not interrupted) you intended. I've made "jokes" at times that someone took as a personal affront... didn't mean it that way, but that's how "someone" took it and came back at me with both feet. I just laughed and didn't reply, but I don't take things personal - that's just me.

One "idiot" (and I can call him that cause I do love him) said, "Take what you need and leave the rest"... wise words..  Kiss

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #19 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 12:53pm

Quote:
Hoppy wrote on Jun 27th, 2015 at 2:44am:
this.  Wink

Hoppy

I can actually tell you now, there's more sheep here in aussie !
But as a kiwi, I can also tell you,  New Zealand is a place where men are men, and sheep are scared !   Wink
                          Grin
colin

Colin is right, we've just under 30 million sheep here in NZ, 6 per person (it used to be 22), but Australia has about 72 million, but only just over 3 sheep per person.

Of course kiwi sheep are much better than ones from over the ditch, even down to the quality of their dung, so you know what sort you need to try...

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #20 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 5:52pm

Colin wrote, New Zealand is a place where Men are Men,
and sheep are scared!

Well you can't blame them for being scared!

Looks like the same thing applies here in OZ!

A tourist arrived in Australia hired a car and set off for the
outback. On his way he saw a bloke having sex with a sheep. Deeply horrified he pulled up at the nearest pub and ordered a straight scotch. As he was just about to throw it back, he saw a bloke with one leg masturbating furiously at the bar " What the hell ?!" the tourist cried "What the hell's going on here? I've been here one hour and I've seen a bloke shagging a sheep, and some bloke's wanking himself off in the bar!" Fair dinkum mate, the bartender told him, " You can't expect a man with only one leg to catch a sheep."

Wink Grin

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #21 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 7:55pm

I can still see no excuse for abusing or swearing at first-time posters.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

shortstraw
CH.com Junior

02 blows - thankfully

Perth Western Australia
Reply #22 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 8:38pm

I agree Brian
When I joined CH.com I had never been part of any online forum before so I was pretty nervous putting up my first few posts. I was nervous I would say something stupid (and I probably did) and be put down for it. It wouldn't have taken much to scare me off from posting again and I would have missed out on being part of something pretty special.

Alan

There are things worse than clusters .... just

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #23 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 10:05pm

AussieBrian wrote on Jun 27th, 2015 at 7:55pm:

Why limit it to just first-time posters?

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #24 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 1:17am

AussieBrian wrote on Jun 27th, 2015 at 7:55pm:

I didn't...and I don't...simply a feeble attempt to make a point re a personal peeve...now I'll shaddup...........

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!