Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My father has Cluster Headaches. Will I have them? (Read 3913 times)
Ioa
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

My father has Cluster Headaches. Will I have them?
Aug 27th, 2015 at 12:21pm

My father has been diagnosed with CH 6 years ago though he's has headaches for much longer. We don't know what to do because doctors in my country don't know anything about this condition and they can't help... It breaks my heart hearing him cry , pacing back and forth, and asking why it's happening to him. DO you know any remedies or something that might alleviate an episode? I am terrified of this condition and everytime it happens to him, I can't help but think that it might pass down to me. I am 20 and I have never had any headache similar to CH. But I am still scared. What if I get this? I am completely terrified , I don't know what to do because this thought consumes me . This has really affected me emotionally. Are there any signs that foretell the onset of CH?  I am a girl btw.

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Re: My father has Cluster Headaches. Will I have them?
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 12:27pm

No one really knows if they are hereditary.  Does your dad have any prevents/abortives?

Potter

IP Logged

Ioa
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 12:36pm

He used to take Imigran but it didn't really work everytime. Now he takes another pill but I can't remember what it's called, and it doesn't do much difference either. He had an episode before I posted the original message that lasted around 30 or more. It seemed like forever...

IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 12:39pm

Oxygen at a high flow rate might be just the ticket.  The D3 regimine seems to have had great success also.

Potter

IP Logged

Ioa
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 12:45pm

Thank you so much! I'll tell him to try them both

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 4:18pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The research shows that for some CH patients, CH can have a genetic component and can be passed to children. However just because a parent has CH it does not mean that their child will, it is just that they are more likely to have it compared to the general population.

IP Logged

MDR
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Elysburg Pa.
Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 5:31pm

Ioa,
Tell your father at the on set of the headache drink down a hot cup of coffee as hot as he can stand it really works for me
red bull works to I here.

Mark.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 8:47am

Imitrex pills are very slow to work so will not be much help. If your dad can get the imitrex auto injections they will work much better in 5 - 10 minutes. I could not be without them

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #8 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 4:35pm

Hi Ioa,
Chances are you will NOT get Cluster Headaches and also the thought of you getting them should NOT "consume" you.

It is a very rare disease and even more rare to have someone related to also be inflicted. Worrying about something that is UNlikely to happen or that has not happened, is in my opinion a waste of time.

Be supportive of your father and live your life to the fullest. Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!