Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CH and unrelated surgery (Read 1982 times)
Dallasite
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

CH and unrelated surgery
Dec 26th, 2015 at 1:29pm

I have a 2 - 3 hour surgical procedure scheduled in the next week, serious enough that I had to have a surgical clearance, EKG, X-rays, blood tests. After years of remission, I had a CH last night Smiley and injected Imitrex (which works remarkably well for me).  My typical  cycle is  2- 3 weeks, 1 - 2 nighttime CHs per day.   My surgeon won't be available for several days to discuss, so wondering if anyone from personal experience can tell me if surgery can proceed while I'm in the midst of a cycle and taking Imitrex injections?  Really don't want to have to reschedule surgery.   Thanks!

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Re: CH and unrelated surgery
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 3:36pm

Hi Dallasite....welcome aboard...

Do you have a neuro you can ask?

It just seems logical that surgery/anesthesia could cause a hit(s)  ...but that's just a guess. I had the same concerns prior to a recent surgery. I met with the anesthesiologist who, to my great fortune, was acutely aware of CH. She didn't anticipate any problems tho we agreed that nitrous oxide should not be used in the "cocktail" because it is a known trigger. All went fine...no hits although I am chronic and in low cycle.

The other question...only you can answer is.....am I willing to trade 1 or more hits for a needed surgery?And...will the Imitrex (Zomig NS) be ok to use afterwards....(O2 would surely be fine.) The timing was optional for me...still gonna be chronic next week/month/whatever so I was willing to take the risk.....best luck to you brother

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Dallasite
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 4:00pm

Thanks for the response, I have a neuro and ENT surgeon, will ask them both when they're available, but my surgery is 12/31 so wanted to see if I could get some practical insights, which you're done a great job providing.  O2 doesn't work for me, just injected Imitrex. Probably 5 years since my last cycle, couldn't believe it when a CH woke me up at 4:00 am.  Sorry to hear you're chronic, every time I go through a cycle I cross my fingers it will end.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 4:24pm

Recommend Imitrex injections on hand just in case, and consult w/ surgeon prior to ensure Imitrex necessity may occur and discuss possible contraindications w/ anesthesia. You will be fine Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 4:46pm

Make sure they know what medications and supplements you are taking. People have mentioned being asked to stop taking fish oil a few days before surgery, but I've not seen any mention of imitrex being an issue.

You'll also have access to oxygen too whilst in hospital, just make sure they use a high flow rate (15lpm+) and a non-rebreather mask for it to be effective.

Hope all goes well with the surgery.

IP Logged

Dallasite
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 4:51pm

They've already told me to keep away from blood thinners, but didn't say anything about vasoconstrictors (like Imitrex).   It's vocal chord surgery so I have to be halfway awake during procedure, definitely want to have Imitrex pen on hand so they can inject me if needed and if they will allow.

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #6 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 5:21pm

Dallasite wrote on Dec 26th, 2015 at 4:51pm:
They've already told me to keep away from blood thinners, but didn't say anything about vasoconstrictors (like Imitrex).   It's vocal chord surgery so I have to be halfway awake during procedure, definitely want to have Imitrex pen on hand so they can inject me if needed and if they will allow.

Dallasite, Keep in mind if you are using the D3 regimen that 1 of the cofactors (K2) may possibly be an issue re: blood thinner concern.

Specifically, Vitamin K2 (MK-4 & MK-7) – Vitamin K1 is contraindicated if blood thinners used.

Might PM Batch for more details on this and/or speak w/ your surgeon, in advance of your surgery if this is relevant to you.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 12:33am

What Gregg said! ^^^^

All the best on the surgery.

jlc

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Dallasite
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 1:52pm

Thanks to all for the info and support.  Although I had a CH two nights ago, curiously none last night.  However, I can't believe I'd be so lucky to have a one-CH "cycle" so expect others to come.  My CH cycles started in '99 and every cycle has lasted 2 - 4 weeks.  Having been through so many CHs (first cycle 1999), it unquestionably was a CH two nights ago.  I held off injection until my eye drooped and watered and I started my telltale practice of banging my head to feel better, which are sure signs of CH for me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!