Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
46 years CH maybe going chronic (Read 2743 times)
JerryR
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

46 years CH maybe going chronic
Mar 4th, 2016 at 1:13pm

Age 59 Clusters every other year since 13 years old.  Before this round the devil let me have four years of peace.  Unfortunately, they're back and they've lasted now for four month, usually lasting only eight weeks.  Oh well!

Prednisone at 60mg starting dose started tapering after two weeks.  Clusters tease me as I taper.  Mostly shadows.  Thank God (literally) for O2, which I've only first tried this episode.  Prednisone verses Clusters; Poison verse pain.  Pick  one.  Prednisone has left me weak and virtually sightless.  Blood sugar out of sight.  Trying to work into doctor's office for a Rx of Verapamil.

Oh well, that's the bad news.  The good news is that I feel part of a fraternity that have the heart to share and help.  We're all as lucky as unfortunate. 

More good news-- Tried the ClusterO2 mask.  GREAT!  I'm an engineer and can certainly recommend this mask over the cheap non-rebreathable masks I also tried.  Well engineer and should last a long time.

Thanks group for just being there at 2:00AM when you just need to reach out to know someone is in-there with you.

All the best!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: 46 years CH maybe going chronic
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 1:51pm

Hey Jerry,

Welcome to CH.com.  You've come to the right place.  There's always someone here... and we do know what you're going through...

Check your PM InBox...  I've left you some info that may help.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

JerryR
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 1:41pm

Thank you Batch!  I appreciate your reply!  I'm trying out your D3 plan now, it may have improved my situation!

All the best Cheesy

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 4:54pm

Hi Jerry and welcome to the CH.com community, sorry you had to join the club but glad you did.
Batch's D3 regimen works for a lagre number of us.
You too have the potential of becoming pain free (PF) if you do as Batch says, you're in good hands.
This site is the largest source of knowledge about the horrible beast that is CH you'll ever come accross so stick around and hopefully some day soon, we'll be reading that you are pain free.
Take care
All the best

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 1:41pm

Jerry,
Don't fear.  I started ch around 20 y/o.  A 4 to 6 week bout every 8 or 9 months.  When I turned 40 y/o they went to every 2 years but the bouts got longer.  My final bout lasted 6 months and I too thought I was going chronic.  But they did stop and that was my last bout, 10 years ago now (65 y/o now).  I bet you're on your last bout of clusters!

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

maryo
CH.com Veteran

Johnny & Roy puzzle where
to apply the O2 mask

x1|Little Deer Isle|USA|usa|536|53|ME,Maine
Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 8:49pm

I'm 64, in the same boat, have gone chronic. Unpredictable irregular pattern. Here it is, an hour until bedtime, and I don't know what's going to happen. Have had some brief moments of feeling defeated but mostly am living my days as happily as ever. My headaches are always at night. Good luck to you.

IP Logged

Mark Olson
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Jose, CA
Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 9:49pm

What kind of engineer?  I am an EE.

IP Logged

Blue Meanie
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:58am

Hi Jerry. Hopefully you're wrong and are not turning chronic. As others said, I too thought I was going chronic during an episode when I went 8 months but they eventually went away and I stayed episodic. Don't give up, I had a 7 year PF period until now which I never though in a million years I would get a 7 year break. You mentioned the prevents, I assume you've used imitrex injections for aborting, right ?

IP Logged

Jeramy Scott
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 12:26pm

I'm new here  myself.It sounds like the vitamin D3 regiment works wonders.I haven't tried it yet.My cluster headaches were going chronic.You mentioned verapamil.I started it on March 9th,and I'm now almost completely pain free.It might work,it might not,it worked for me

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #9 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 3:09pm

Jeramy,

I replied to your other post in the Medications and Treatments section.

Cheers,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!