Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
To much vitamin D-3 (Read 4337 times)
Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
To much vitamin D-3
May 20th, 2016 at 5:06am

I was watching a programme on the telly the other night on taking to much vitamin D! They say, taking more than 1000iu/day can cause prostate cancer.

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2016 at 5:08am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Re: To much vitamin D-3
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2016 at 5:25am

Hoppy,

"They say",     Who say ?

P.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2016 at 11:29am

Hoppy,

You need to provide context with a post like this.  What we need is your assessment of the TV segment.

For example... Who is "they"?

Did it appear to be a "Hit Job" against the use of vitamin D3?  Big Pharma spends millions funding opposition research and fear mongering articles that downplay the benefits vitamin D3 in an attempt to scare people from taking it.

Was credible medical evidence cited?  In other words, were the assertions made during the TV segment based on a gold standard RCT, i.e., a randomized, double blind, placebo controlled clinical trial or were they based on a meta-analysis retrospective, study of studies where the authors/investigators used junk science cooking the odds and risk data like the global warming hacks with their bogus "Hockey Stick" chart showing a sharp rise in global warming temperatures?

I review studies involving vitamin D3 cholecalciferol as the intervention almost daily.  What I look for is the study design, i.e., was it a gold standard RCT?  Did it use a minimum effective vitamin D3 dose of 10,000 IU/day or greater for a minimum period of at least 6 months or greater.  I also look for frequent labs for 25(OH)D. Without the 25(OH)D response data, there's no way of knowing if a therapeutic dose was reached. 

If a study uses less than 4000 IU/day vitamin D3 for a period of less than 6 months... it was likely designed to conclude the null hypothesis... i.e., vitamin D3 provided no apparent clinical benefit...

For example, clinicaltrials.gov lists 17 studies with vitamin D3 as the intervention and prostate cancer as the condition being treated. 

Of the 17, one was a complete joke using a vitamin D3 dose of 200 IU/day and only two used a vitamin D3 dose of 10,000 IU/day or greater for 6 months or longer. Of the two, only one had data on the 25(OH)D response as an outcome measure. 

That study was a "open label" prospective interventional dose comparative study with arms of 4000 IU/day, 6,000 IU/day, 8,000 IU/day and 10,000 IU/day. Although the assignment was randomized, it was not a gold standard RCT.

So there you have it...  I know you've been very supportive of the anti-inflammatory regimen in preventing CH, but we all need to be critical when reviewing data from studies listing vitamin D3 as the intervention...

Take care,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2016 at 11:31am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #3 - May 20th, 2016 at 7:37pm

G'day Batch,
We were taking an Autumn break down the South West of the State with my Brother and Sister-in-Law who are here on holiday from the UK, when I flicked on the telly, and this programme had already started! It was all about how taking to many vitamins daily can be detrimental to your health, and one of them was vitamin D. So, when they,"the panel of experts" mentioned taking more than a 1000iu of vitamin D/day can cause Prostate Cancer, I thought I would post this, to get your spin on it.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - May 21st, 2016 at 1:53am

Hoppy,

That's the type of context I was looking for in your original post.  It would be interesting to run the trap line on the so called "experts" you watched on the telly.

Comments like that typically come from hacks on the take from Big Pharma... or people with little or no real credible experience as a practicing nutritionist, endocrinologist or researcher.

If you want to read some learned papers, studies and opinions about the latest findings in vitamin D3 research and therapy from real experts...  google the following names: Reinhold Vieth, Ph.D., Dr. Robert P. Heaney, M.D., Dr. Michael F. Holick, Ph.D., M.D., Dr. Cedric F. Garland, M.D., P.H.  When they speak about vitamin D3... consider it coming from the burning bush.

Thanks and take care.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2016 at 2:13am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #5 - May 21st, 2016 at 5:26am

Hoppy,

My concern with your original post is that it was a blunt statement that might put someone off starting the D3 Regemin and consequently missing out on a treatment that could help them.

There are always a few new members here who are tentatively stepping into the D3 arena , often after having received trepidation from the Doctors and it wouldn't take much to put them off.

I just don't like the expression "they say", regardless of what context it's used.

Best,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #6 - May 21st, 2016 at 9:59am

Peter wrote, I just don't like the expression "they say", regardless of what context it's used.

Is what they said, nothing wrong with that, how else would you put it?

The reason I posted this thread was not to scare people off, but to get feedback to clarify it, or not, that's what this forum is all about.

Hoppy
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2016 at 6:05pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Mish C.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2016 at 10:14am

I just started the regimen 3 days ago and I saw this initial post & immediately freaked out a little. I'm glad that I took the time to read all of the replies in their entirety. Like someone else mentioned, the docs typically tell people not to exceed 2,000iu per day, mine did anyway. It's nice to read a headline as scary as this one, and then have others come forth to dispute it. /sigh_of_relief

IP Logged

Scorpion
CH.com Junior

lemons to lemonade

KCMO
Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2016 at 10:21am

Mish C.
You will never get prostate cancer
Smiley

Life's a garden, dig it.

IP Logged

sylvanwood52
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2016 at 9:16pm

I started taking Vitamin D3 by accident - well, no - my doctor told me I was low and put me on 1000 a day.  A year later I went in for a check up and was told my d levels were good and i could stop taking it.  A few weeks later I felt sorry for the little bottle of D3 sitting there all ignored so I started taking one every other day just to get rid of them.  I have had chronic clusters for 13 years, usually 3 - 7 a day, every day, year round. I heard something about the 10,000 units a day, and that's when I realized that when I started taking d3, my headaches went down to 1 - 3 a day.  When I quit taking it for those two weeks, they all came right back - 3 - 7 a day.  When I started taking it again, they went back down to 1 - 3 a day.  I went out and got a bottle of 5,000, and have been taking just one a day for the last two months.  In the last two months, I have had 3 clusters.  I'm sold.  I imagine if I take 10,000 a day they may stop completely, but this is good enough for now.

Hoppy wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 5:06am:
I was watching a programme on the telly the other night on taking to much vitamin D! They say, taking more than 1000iu/day can cause prostate cancer.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 1:13am

Hey Sylvanwood,

Good move upping your vitamin D3 dose to 5,000 IU/day.  10,000 IU/day is very safe and it will help prevent your CH better than 5,000 IU/day.  You also need to take the vitamin D3 cofactors: 400 mg/day magnesium, 10 mg/day zinc, 1 mg/day boron, and vitamin A (retinol) at RDA...

The following should help:

The odds are you’re vitamin D3 deficient and that deficiency is contributing to the frequency, severity and duration of your headaches.

Confirming a vitamin D3 deficiency is easy…  See your PCP for the lab test of your serum 25(OH)D, total calcium and PTH (Parathyroid Hormone)  The total calcium and PTH will be used as a baseline for subsequent labs after your 25(OH)D has stabilized around 80 ng/mL.  25(OH)D is the serum level metabolite of vitamin D3 that's used to measure its status.

The normal reference range of 25(OH)D is 30 to 100 ng/mL (75 to 250 nmol/L).  However, most physicians will interpret 31 ng/mL as normal.  While that may be true and a high enough concentration to prevent rickets... it's far too low to prevent CH.  eCHers need to have their 25(OH)D up in a range between 60 to 110 ng/mL (150 to 275 nmol/L).  The target 25(OH)D serum concentration is 80 ng/mL (200 nmol/L).

Over the last five years at least 600 cluster headache sufferers (CHers) have started the anti-inflammatory regimen of vitamins and minerals with at least 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3.  83% of them have experienced a significant reduction in the frequency, severity and duration of their CH.  75% experienced multiple 24-hour pain free periods and 60% remain essentially pain free.  This regimen is equally effective for episodic and chronic CHers.  This regimen is also effective for Migraineurs in preventing their headaches.

The following table represents the latest list of anti-inflammatory regimen supplements and doses:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I've found the following supplements shown by brand in the photo below are formulated with most of the supplements we need.  I buy them at Costco, but you should be able to find similar formulations at most Vitamin Shoppes, supermarkets, Wall-Mart or over the Internet:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If you can’t get to a Costco outlet, a CHer in the UK has found a source for all the needed supplements at iherb.com.  See his post at the following link for details on how to order them over the Internet:

The vitamin B 50 Complex is not shown.  You’ll need a 3-month course of vitamin B 50 Complex to handle any deficiencies among the seven B vitamins.  One tablet a day for three month will be fine. Although the Super K with vitamin K2 complex isn't essential in preventing CH, it is needed to handle the increased serum calcium made available by taking vitamin D3 at the doses we take.

Regarding the BS about 1000 mg vitamin D3 causing prostate cancer...  It is just... BS... 

Why would someone say that?  Simple... Big Pharma and too many physicians on the take from Big Pharma are suffering severe anal leakage over the benefits of vitamin D3 in treating a wide variety of medical disorders...  They charge around $5000 a dose for Humira (and make Billions of dollars a year selling Humira) when 12 cents a day vitamin D3 would have better results in many cases with none of the adverse side effects of Humira.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2016 at 1:14am by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

sylvanwood52
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 9:49am

This is great!  Thank you.  I actually started taking magnesium about a month ago and noticed that all my back pain went away.  Which was a little unexpected.  I'm going to up to 10,000 on the D3 and see how that goes. I've also noticed that some brands of vitamins are less effective than others, so another thing to watch for.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 6:46pm

Hey Sylvanwood,

Thanks for the reply and update.  Regarding strength and purity of vitamin and mineral supplements, I look for the USP logo shown below.

That means the product bearing this label has been tested by an independent lab for strength and purity.  It also indicates the production facilities for these supplements have been inspected for proper health safety practices.

There's a lot of Cheap Charlie crap coming from China and elsewhere disguised as vitamin and mineral supplements... Seeing the USP logo means you're getting the right supplement at the listed strength.

Take care and please keep us posted.  V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!