Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pain scale so non-cluster people can relate (Read 5756 times)
Nervely
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Pain scale so non-cluster people can relate
May 20th, 2016 at 7:40pm

I was thinking how to let a non-cluster person understand the pain level without harming them (much).

It's a 1-10 scale

Take a mug of hot water, for each point determine the temperature of the water and the person has to put a finger in it and leave it there.  There are many nerves in the finger, the worst pain I ever experienced was getting my finger jammed in a belt sander.  When a doc asks where I am on the pain scale I explain my definition of a 10.  I've had clusters come close to that, but only rarely.

(Sorry for centigrade folks)
It could be:
1 = 105 f.
2 = 115 f.
and on up to a 10, which might be near boiling. 

I doubt the typical person could stand a 3 for more than a few seconds.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Pain scale so non-cluster people can relate
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2016 at 8:14pm

I still like the Kip scale:

Quote:
THE “KIP” CLUSTER HEADACHE PAIN SCALE

Pain level 0 No pain, life is beautiful

Pain level 1 Very minor, shadow’s come and go. Life is still beautiful

Pain level 2 More persistent shadow’s

Pain level 3 Shadow’s are getting constant but can deal with it

Pain level 4 Starting to get bad, want to be left alone

Pain level 5 Still not a “pacer” but need space

Pain level 6 Wake up grumbling, curse a bit, but can get back to sleep with out “dancing”

Pain level 7 Wake up, sleep not an option, take the beast for a walk and finally fall into bed exhausted

Pain level 8 Time to scream, yell, curse, head bang, rock, whatever work’s

Pain level 9 The “Why me?” syndrome starts to set in

Pain level 10 Major pain, screaming, head banging, ER trip. Depressed. Suicidal.

Whilst someone without CH won't understand most, they will get the idea that a Kip 10 is pretty bad from the description even if they have never remotely experienced it.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2016 at 8:24pm

Hi Nervely,

I totally understand your need for "civilians" to understand this "pain". For years and years
I felt the same...almost a desperate need for others to get it. I gave up...how do you explain a
pain to "others" when you cannot even fathom it yourself...it is indescribable and incomprehensible....
and they will NEVER get it.

The best I could find...and then let it go.... was to ask them to imagine the worst headache they
ever had...even invoking the "M" word...then multiply by 100. They, of course thought, I was
exaggerating. Also tried asking them to imagine slamming a car door on a finger or hitting a thumb with hammer....over and over again.... boy howdy that's a similar pain. But the absurdity of that scenario made some of them laugh. Trying a different tack, I asked if they could imagine that CH even makes your hair hurt.... but, while true, even I find that "funny".... in a macabre sort of way...and I'm 'bout bald as DJ............... Roll Eyes

Where I eventually got to was to carry myself in such a manner...no whining, no martyrdom, no pity parties, got something to deal with right now...I'll be back...... that while they didn't know exactly what it was that Jon was experiencing...if he says it's bad...then it's BAD!

YMMV

Best

Jon

PS I like the Kip scale too...but then...that's clusterhead language.............and yes 10 is quite descriptive....but over 34 yrs only 3 people have ever seen me get hit...so I suppose sending them
to a youtube ch hit...if they are willing... might just do it

« Last Edit: May 20th, 2016 at 8:31pm by jon019 »  

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #3 - May 20th, 2016 at 11:11pm

Kip-5 and Rising.

Head got belted, eye melted,
Temple is on fire.
Ear got shot by a bullet white hot,
Brain's a funeral pyre.

Tears pouring, temp roaring,
Risk of personal harm.
Cluster bump resembles the hump
On the hunchback of Notre Dame.

Mind frying, psyche crying,
Words quite obscene.
Got too hot, lost the plot,
There is a Kip-15.

Pressure goes up, eyelid has a pup,
Nose give birth to a melon.
Brain aflame, government to blame,
Welcome to Kip-27.

To speak is to shriek, here's the peak,
Kip-94 and a bit.
Erratic, sporadic, almost orgastic,
The joys of a really big hit.

Pain diminishing, problem finishing,
Reserves totally plundered.
I used to cope but now just hope,
There is no Kip-100.

(from the archives of ch.com)

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

BobG
CH.com Hall of Famer

St. George, UT
Reply #4 - May 21st, 2016 at 5:16am

Prefect, Brian. Thanks.

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #5 - May 21st, 2016 at 9:24am

Great Brian..  Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Cons Law
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2016 at 3:05am

Brian,

Great poetic description  Roll Eyes

Stay Positive

Con

IP Logged

playfair
CH.com Newbie

Great to be here!

Upstate NY
Reply #7 - May 25th, 2016 at 9:52pm

jon019 wrote on May 20th, 2016 at 8:24pm:
Where I eventually got to was to carry myself in such a manner...no whining, no martyrdom, no pity parties, got something to deal with right now...I'll be back...... that while they didn't know exactly what it was that Jon was experiencing...if he says it's bad...then it's BAD!

This is the mature, perfect summary.  I'm in the worse part of the worse cycle I've had right now...  I try not to complain, but I hate the thought of them thinking I'm over-reacting to a "head ache". 

You could say the worse "normal" headache is only a 6 tops.  I usually say that "normal" ones don't phase me a bit.

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2016 at 9:52pm by playfair »  

IP Logged

mfocht
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2016 at 10:53pm

I completely agree. I worry that others think I can't tolerate a regular headache. It is one of the reasons I become really quiet during a CH cycle. I am partially embarrassed.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #9 - May 26th, 2016 at 6:36am

mfocht....  I learned a LONG time ago to never be embarrassed about these things and to never apologize... We cannot help it and they are a medical problem. Normal people cannot understand and that' s just their problem.

I usually try to explain ONE time that I have a medical condition that is VERY painful at times and if you can't understand that then F O!

One thing we've learned on this site is that ONLY Another CHer CAN understand what we're going thru, so we just live with that and try to keep a good sense of humor.  Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Scorpion
CH.com Junior

lemons to lemonade

KCMO
Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2016 at 2:33pm

I have found out that people really just don't care.
They are not interested in your pain, unless it means that you won't be hanging out with them.
If I'm repeatedly asked, I just tell them about a time I almost knocked myself out cuase it felt better.
Or the time I tried to commit suicide, only to wind up feeling better because of it.
I always speak with a chuckle and light heart, even when speaking about suicide. There's no point beyond that.

I have had one guy tell me that his dad must have them a lot worse cause I still get out of the house.
That pissed me off. One deep breathe and turn the other cheek, because perception is each ones reality.

Most of the time,  I will barely say a work when about these things to people, and this seems to be the best way to talk about them. A nod of the head, no eye contact, and a subject change. Done!

Life's a garden, dig it.

IP Logged

jendi
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 9:05am

I find trying to explain the degree of pain is almost impossible.  I get attacks 3-5x's a week-- each time I will have to endure 4-7 attacks.  My doctor asked me if the pain was close to getting a filling done without anesthesia (my husband is a dentist).  My reply?  Dr., Friday night I gave birth 6 x's through my left eye.  I think that was fairly descriptive  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

jendi
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2016 at 9:25am

BTW, I also like the kip scale because it really seems to follow the progression of the attacks.  I get shadows of 3-6 on kip scale daily, with the attacks hitting me after work in the evenings. People don't get it; people don't want to get it--they can be sympathetic for only so long because life still happens and they have pain too. 

It takes a lot out of our families to sit, helpless, and watch us go another round.  All we can really do is try to describe it and then say thanks to those who don't question the degree of pain we say we experience.

The thing is, for all you guys out there, when women say child labor is excruciating pain--you don't question it, even though we can never adequately describe the pain.  There just has not been enough of us to indicate the level of pain consistently for years.  I think there will come a time when the degree of pain is finally accepted by people without us having to defend our statements.

IP Logged

Esheel31
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Virginia,USA
Reply #13 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 1:18pm

I once told someone "This must be what it feels like to be shot in the face".
They just looked at me.
A week later they saw me experience a kip 10 in all it's terrifying glory, complete with snot and sweat and tears,and babbling to God for deliverance/death.
They didn't question me anymore.

IP Logged

musophil
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

West Midlands, (olde) England
Reply #14 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 5:31am

Esheel31 wrote on Jul 5th, 2016 at 1:18pm:
I once told someone "This must be what it feels like to be shot in the face".
They just looked at me.
A week later they saw me experience a kip 10 in all it's terrifying glory, complete with snot and sweat and tears,and babbling to God for deliverance/death.
They didn't question me anymore.

Smiley

Great post.

I'm currently going through my first cluster period since I got together with my girlfriend, almost a year ago.  It had been three years since my last bout, which is the longest period of remission I've ever had since my first attack.

When I felt the first shadows, the early twinges, I was in semi-denial.  "Maybe it's not The Beast.  Maybe it's just tiredness or too much time spent in front of the computer or something."

As they got worse and it became obvious that a new cluster period was starting, I tried to describe what I was about to go through to my girlfriend.

I think I passed on the traditional "worse than natural childbirth" and "each attack is an equivalent amount of pain as having a limb amputated without anaesthetic" lines, and showed her a few videos on YouTube to prepare her for what she could expect to witness if and when she saw me having an attack.

Even then, I think she still probably thought I was exaggerating about how much pain I would be going through.

The attacks grew in intensity and frequency over the course of the next month.  When I had my first KIP8 in front of her, she was desperate to help, asking me questions every few seconds "Can I get you this?  Would it help if I do this?  What about this?"  Eventually I said "yes" to a cold wet teatowel, not because I thought it would help, but because I wanted her out of the room, not asking me questions.  It was actually surprisingly soothing on my shoulders/neck area, and on the side of my head/face, and so this became her "job" during my attacks - fetching fresh cold ones, as they only stay cold for a minute before my body heats them up to "warm cloth" levels.

The first time she saw me having a KIP9 she was in tears.  Even more than I was.

She caught the second half of a KIP10 a few days ago.  I had already had two attacks in the prior 12 hours that I had used my daily allowance of Sumatriptan injections on, and so this attack was going to be experienced "naturally".

When she arrived at my house I was collapsed on the cold tiles of the kitchen floor in front of the fridge-freezer with both its doors wide open so that the cold air would flow over me, clutching a teatowel to the side of my head that had inside of it an A5-sized bag of ice that had now completely melted, shaking and convulsing from head to toe, body almost leaping off the tiles every few moments from stabs of pain coursing through me, crying like a baby in the lulls and swearing like a trooper in the peaks (the actual "wailing like a moose that has been fatally injured by being hit by a car" phase had just passed before she arrived, thankfully).

Once this attack had passed, she no longer thought I was exaggerating with my original description of the pain.

After a really bad few days of attacks, I've decided to revise my description...

"Imagine giving birth with no anaesthetic three or four times a day for more than a month with no days off.  Now imagine you have to push those 120-or-so babies out through your eye socket, the babies are gripping onto grappling hooks connected to your upper teeth and optic nerve, you have extreme sunburn on your face, scalp and neck that is burning you up and making it so that you can barely even touch your own head and face, and this is all happening while you have a cork jammed up your nose, heavy weights tied to your hair, and the contrast turned so high up on your vision that the slightest bit of light feels like you're staring directly into the sun with a telescope."

I think that comes a bit closer to the reality of it.

Wow, I needed to get that out. 
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2016 at 5:43am by musophil »  
IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #15 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 5:54am

Every one of us here can feel your pain, Musophil, but our collective hearts also must go to your girlfriend who's sticking by you through such horror and dread.

Around here we call them Supporters and reckon they're more precious than all the gold and diamonds.

Please give her a kiss for us and let her know she's so very welcome here if we can perhaps help in any way.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

musophil
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

West Midlands, (olde) England
Reply #16 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 6:14am

AussieBrian wrote on Jul 6th, 2016 at 5:54am:
Every one of us here can feel your pain, Musophil, but our collective hearts also must go to your girlfriend who's sticking by you through such horror and dread.

Around here we call them Supporters and reckon they're more precious than all the gold and diamonds.

Please give her a kiss for us and let her know she's so very welcome here if we can perhaps help in any way.

Thanks Brian, will do!  She's the best!  I had a nervous breakdown at the beginning of December that's kept me off work, so she's spent the majority of the relationship having to deal with my depression, general anxiety and social anxiety symptoms along with my lack of spare cash to ever go out and do anything together, and now a CH bout on top.

All this, and she has a 5-year-old child from a previous relationship to look after >= 50% of the time!  I can't put into words how amazing I think she is for putting up with all this extra stuff that comes packaged with being in a relationship with me.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #17 - Jul 8th, 2016 at 2:10am

It sure sounds like she is someone special musophil.

I've no idea how supporters do what they do. I find it impossible to watch the YouTube videos people have taken of them having a CH and that is a stranger. And yet they do it time after time for us.

One other thing, have you got oxygen? You can use it as often as you need, so no more having to ride out any CH after the first two you get in a day.

Read up about it at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

IP Logged

Esheel31
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Virginia,USA
Reply #18 - Jul 8th, 2016 at 9:48pm

Imagine giving birth with no anaesthetic three or four times a day for more than a month with no days off.  Now imagine you have to push those 120-or-so babies out through your eye socket, the babies are gripping onto grappling hooks connected to your upper teeth and optic nerve, you have extreme sunburn on your face, scalp and neck that is burning you up and making it so that you can barely even touch your own head and face, and this is all happening while you have a cork jammed up your nose, heavy weights tied to your hair, and the contrast turned so high up on your vision that the slightest bit of light feels like you're staring directly into the sun with a telescope."

Excellent analogy musophil

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!