Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bemusing observations.... (Read 1117 times)
jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Bemusing observations....
Jun 7th, 2016 at 3:48am

...of today's youths...

I frequent the local library...it's a retiree thing to do.... but since the facility is across the street from the high school and grade school....there is a nice age mix...frequently boisterous...but I used to work in a noisy factory while having to think...so I don't care (even tho the librarians give me... the old guy with the white beard... sympathetic shrugs).

Today...while browsing the DVD's... I observed the state of modern communication and dress standards. The 3 teen girls behind me...quite attractive.....with painted on jeans (where the holes weren't anyway)....and cleavage that defines the word...were engaged in a "conversation". Mostly re boys, stolen cigarettes (smoked or not), and I'm not sure what else because, at a minimum, 50% of the words started with "F". So sad and monotonous... when there is such a plethora of other descriptive vulgarisms or even "regular expression" with which to "colorize" the spoken word. I was sorely tempted to advise...but refrained...so as not to make it on the evening news as the creepy old guy in the library.

I would have quoted my Father...who insisted I learn ALL words...then have the intelligence to use the proper ones at the proper time. And that... vulgarity, in and of itself, does NOT impress or make one seem smarter...but exactly the opposite. He was, of course, right...and while I have slipped in my recent usage...during my career, I saved the rare pungent curse word for the appropriate time...therefore indicating to those who knew my normal..."yikes...he must be serious and we better listen". I usually walked away quickly to hide the smirk...with a wink to my Father's memory....

And then....a beacon of light...one of the young ladies  nearly shouted: "I feel onerous!!!" My heart leapt with joy...redemption....and I eagerly awaited the follow-up confession. Which was...and I barely controlled an EXPLOSIVE guffaw: " Cuz f***, I been out in the sun and my skin is getting dark!"

Evidently a word learned in today's English class....with dubious comprehension of meaning...but HEY...a very good word (so partial credit given).  Her companions must not have been paying attention in class either....as there was no reply...and I left before appearing a lurker....

So anyway.....PLEASE..... stay out of the sun w/o proper screening....lest ye be ONEROUS!

Best

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Bemusing observations....
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 4:28am

On the brighter side of young ladies' use of English I was dragging a young Swedish backpacker into Millaa Millaa falls, shivering cold even on European standards, and she squealed, "No, no, it vill freeze my balls off!"

I can't begin to guess where she'd picked up the term but, as I pushed her further in, she  squeaked, "Look, already I am in goose bubbles!"

Fun is where you find it.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 8:53am

Jon

It IS a sad state of affairs in today's youth and their vocabularies. My Dad always said - when I popped out with a "bad" word -- that it just showed ignorance.

Glad you have a "hobby"..  Smiley  Loved the fashion statement also...  Undecided  Guess this means we're just getting older...  Kiss

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2016 at 6:18pm

Jon, I thank you my friend for a chuckle, and to see you are still with us, alive and kicking.

I was taught when a child, the use of profanity or vulgarity in one's speech was a sign of a poor vocaublary. That or a sign of laziness in one's unwillingness to come up with the proper word.

I must agree with you whole-heartedly on the paucity most of our young people have in a vocabulary. What has been done to our schools, and hence to the lack of education our young ones are receiving, is frightening.

jlc

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!