Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alpha Gal Sucks (Read 1937 times)
Scorpion
CH.com Junior

lemons to lemonade

KCMO
Alpha Gal Sucks
Jun 20th, 2016 at 10:43am

I've been eating a ketogenic diet and excercising and it has kept my headaches away for years now.
Then, I was bit by a lone star tick that caused a mammalian meat allergy, specifically to the carobhydarate Galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose. When this happened, I was starving trying to stay in ketosis without eating steak, pork, etc.., so I decided to eat a standard diet until I could relearn what I could eat. 1 week later my clusters started. So here I am, back in the saddle. I guess it could be worse. From all that I'm learning about nutrition and the body, I think I might as well become a nutritionist. Why not.
Next step, raising ostriches. I hear they taste like beef.

But this does prove to me that the ketogenic diet was really keeping the CH away.

Life's a garden, dig it.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Alpha Gal Sucks
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2016 at 2:49pm

Hey Scorpion,

I suspect your allergic reaction to the tic bite has triggered a flood of histamine that makes just about any CH preventative, and abortive for that matter, ineffective.

We've found that a good first-generation antihistamine like Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) works wonders in stopping the beast from jumping ugly...

First-generation antihistamines like Benadryl cross the blood brain barrier to block H1 histamine receptors on brain cells.  A 25 mg tablet every 12 hours appears effective for most...  Just don't drive while taking it as it will make you drowsy.  If you do need to drive during the day, take 50 mg in the evening when you're home for the day. 

This has helped many CHers taking the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3.  I've sent you a pm on this regimen.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Scorpion
CH.com Junior

lemons to lemonade

KCMO
Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2016 at 1:45pm

Thank you Batch.
Histamine has always been an issue. In cycle I stay away from it.
I told myself that if I ever went into a cycle again that I was gong to try a 3 day minimum fast.
Unfortunately, because of the food restrictions, I was already down to 6% body fat.
So fasting was not really an option.
I do want to try the D.
Thank you.

Life's a garden, dig it.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2016 at 5:21pm

Scorpion,

Check your PM InBox...  It's under the date in the upper left-hand corner of this screen.  Click on the bold lettering
you have 1 new message

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2016 at 11:31am

A good move there Scorpion
Happy PF days
Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!