Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Generic Imitrex available in the US (Read 1708 times)
Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Generic Imitrex available in the US
Jun 28th, 2016 at 2:07am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Quote:
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., (NYSE and TASE: TEVA) and Antares Pharma, Inc. (NASDAQ:ATRS) today announced the launch of the generic equivalent to Imitrex®1 (sumatriptan succinate) injection, 4 mg and 6 mg single-dose, prefilled syringe autoinjectors, in the U.S. Sumatriptan injection is used to treat acute migraine with or without aura, and acute cluster headaches in adults. Sumatriptan injection is self-administered subcutaneously into the back of arm or outer thigh.

There is a lot more info on the web page.

Hopefully this will result in the price people have to pay for it in the US decreasing, which will be a benefit to many.

Plus I note that there are two options on the size with a 4mg option which might avoid people having to do dose splitting.

IP Logged

RRChocolate
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: Generic Imitrex available in the US
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 9:18pm

I got the sumatriptan tablets for $7 last week. So happy they went generic.  Smiley Smiley
If you are still on the brand name, or that's your prescription, you can usually ask your pharmacy to give you the generic, or call the doctor to authorize it. IME, pharmacies are more helpful than doctors when it comes to getting cheaper drugs.
« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2016 at 9:20pm by RRChocolate »  

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 10:45pm

Whilst the tablets are fine for migraines, for CH they take quite a while to take effect, so most people prefer to use the injections or nasal spray as they are a lot quicker to take effect.

IP Logged

Ilndguy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Michigan
Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2016 at 7:10am

Good morning everyone

Thank god Mylan pharmaceuticals isn't the company doing this. Otherwise it would cost $600 an injection. This is the company that raised the prices of the epi-pen through the roof. They need this for life saving measures not just to get rid pain.

I'm glad for all of you that take Imitrex

Ilndguy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!