Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cluster after verapamil (Read 1566 times)
Mandarb
CH.com Newbie

x0|Hutto|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Cluster after verapamil
Aug 23rd, 2016 at 9:36pm

Has anyone ever heard of getting a cluster within 1 to 2 hours of taking Verapamil? This is been happening to me for about a year and it is extremely consistent. I have no idea what to make of this.  Stopping the Verapamil causes my cluster to go Haywire so at least this is somewhat predictable. Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Re: Cluster after verapamil
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 11:49pm

Yes...it's been discussed in the far past here...no consensus....some don't believe.  Happened to me tho I could not discern a pattern like : when first starting, a certain dosage, empty-full stomach.... just very noticeable cause:effect

Since it was overall beneficial...and the after dosage hits generally lower level...I powered through and eventually it became less common...tho NOTE...I used dosages ranging from 480 mg/dy out of cycle and  up to 1040 mg/dy in cycle...

Several other  notes:

normal release better for most vs extended release

Should be regular ECG's after 6 months or after increasing dosage

monitor blood pressure

Eat lots of fiber and stay hydrated to prevent constipation

A prednisone or methylprednisolone titration (bout 2 weeks) to break the cycle until verap
kicks in (7-14 days)

Got oxygen?

Read here re the Vit D3 regimen

Best

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Mandarb
CH.com Newbie

x0|Hutto|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2016 at 9:16am

Thanks Jon.

Yes, I do use oxygen.  Been chronic for 15 years now so I guess I'm an old pro now. 

Sadly, D3 doesn't work for me.  Tried it on 3 separate occasions.  What does work for me is cryoablation which thankfully I'm having done today.  Put me in remission for a year the first time I did it and the 2nd time (a year later) reduced the frequency to maybe 1 a week.

The headaches an hour after verapamil is something I've been toying with lately.  Changing the times I take the medicine by several hours and the clusters follow it around.  Very strange and just thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts.

In the last 24 hours, after increasing verapamil by 60mg per dose, the CH have stopped but it's only been a day so still testing.

IP Logged

neuropath
CH.com Veteran

Same Hit, Different Day

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2016 at 5:19am

Yes. Definitely.

Has happened to me several times when reducing the dosage. Especially if you are on a high dose.

Like clockwork they appear 1h after taking my dose and the can quickly escalate to a 10. Tedious to abort with O2 and back after 30 min.

The only way to get rid of them is to up the dose again to original level. Takes up to 2 weeks to get back to "normal". Every time this has happened to me I use a zomig when taking the Verapamil. This keeps a lid on the verapamil induced attack. Careful with zomig rebound.

When reducing try a very slow taper. 40mg every 7-10 days.

For many here Verapamil is the holy Mary and although I admit that it's the only thing helping me it is not without downsides, this being one of them.

Not ideal by any means but under medical supervision and without coronary/cardiac pre-conditions Verapamil can also be stopped abruptly, without tapering.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!