Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Exhaustion (Read 5788 times)
Ilndguy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Michigan
Exhaustion
Sep 3rd, 2016 at 6:03am

Good morning all

It's been 3 years since my last cycle and have since retired. I was in a physical job and in pretty good shape. I don't remember being this tired during and after my cycle. I was thinking just because I'm older and not working anymore. I know I would be exhausted right after my dance but I don't remember being tired all the time.  Is this typical?

Thanking you in advance

Ilndguy Sad

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Re: Exhaustion
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 6:54am

I retired a year ago and feel a level of fatigue that I don't recall when working.

I believe that psychologically you slow down a bit when you retire, simply because you don't have to be as active and consequently you become more tuned into your body and when tiredness takes over.

They say that when you retire it can take up to 2 years to find a new rhythm.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 8:05am

Peter is on the right track.

There is a good bit of research which shows how quickly our body begins to lose tone and endurance following loss of regular activity. One eye catching study revealed a measurable loss of muscle tone just 24-hours aftter being in bed (hospital patient).

Unless we replace the activity of work with even a modest program of activityl/exercise, research reveals the picture you report is normal.

I'm living in a retirement community now ana I'm amazed the notable difference between folks who swim/exercise/even mosst waling daily, and those who do nothing. Both body and brain slow down without even modest levels of activity, physical and mental.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 4:19pm

A few months ago I had an ankle injury which meant one foot was in a moon boot for a few weeks. It was very noticeable how rapidly I lost calf muscle mass with it clearly starting in just a few days ago. I suspect that I'd lost about 50% of it after about two weeks!

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2016 at 2:32pm

Hey Inldguy,
I hope you 're well.
I'm 48 year old and love working hard at what I do when I have a job on.
I'm self employed and depend on a phone call form someone to say "hey, will you come do this job for 3 /4 months?" For me the longer the job is, the better. When i have a job on I 'm full of beans, Up at 7 a.m and actually looking forward to day's work ahead, i love what i do. I guess the fact that it is extremely well paid helps. For each job, i need to hire people, they are often the same people, mainly friends, mainy good friends, we get on well and understand each other so it's fun. I juggle a lot of money and spend a lot of it over the job. I have to deliver the projects on time or I will never get another job again. Despite the pressure, i love it and am always full of energy. i even go to the gym after work sometime and swim and gym at weekends.
Then, the job ends and I don't know what to do with myself. I might go and visit people here and there, that i haven't seen in a while but that soon fizzles out. My energy levels drop dramatically, fairly rapidly. Even though i Love going to the gym, running, swimming, I find it very hard to motivate myself as i feel tired and quite lethargique for a whille. It takes me a month or so of feeling shite to eventually be motivated to do all th things i love doing.

It is undertandable that your energy levels are low.
I hope you'll find something that will make you want to get up and feel good about it.
It can take effort to start, sometimes a few weeks of efforts, pushing yourself to do something. but then, i find, the activity becomes enjoyable when we can see results, meet new people and in general feel more at ease doing this new activity.

Anyway, keep coming back here to chat, it's a good place with lots of great people.

All the best.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2016 at 5:19pm

thierry...a MOST EXCELLENT post ^ ...THANK YOU from a wider audience  Wink

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Ilndguy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Michigan
Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2016 at 7:27am

Good morning everyone

Thank you for all your comments. I did enjoy my job and wish I was not retired. My injury now prevents that. I can't even play golf which was what I loved to do. I spend a little time in my workshop doing odd jobs for friends, but that's not really physical. I should watch my granddaughter more often, because that is exhausting, but worth it.  I've had two back and three foot surgeries so a lot of the things other people take for granted I very much struggle with or cannot do at all. I have a great family and things could be a lot worse.

Thanks again. It's going to be a great day

Ilndguy

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2016 at 7:42am

I started something with my grandchildren last year that I think might suit you.

Take them to your local pool. If they don't swim, teach them. If they do, then it's a great bonding exercise and great fun.

Teaching children to swim gives them a real gift that they will enjoy for the rest of their lives and isn't that what Grandads are for ?????

And speaking of exercise, swimming is the most therapeutic physical exercise you can do. It builds fitness and strength without putting strain on joints or muscles. It is recommended by Orthopaedic Surgeons the world over.

Just a suggestion.

Best regards,

Peter

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Ilndguy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Michigan
Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2016 at 12:15pm

Great day everyone

Great idea Peter. I will have to give that a try.

Sincerely

Ilndguy

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2016 at 3:39pm

Adding a second thought to my first reply...

A number of yeas ago, a sudy of wokers in textile mills in the South who were involuntarily reitired: Their death rate doubled within 5-years!

Men often spend their working lives engaged only in the job compared to women workers who often have other commitmentgs to family and community which sets the foundaation for heir post-retirement life.

Having/creating interests, commitments to outside organizations or important (to  them!) activitiies opens the post-retirement doors to activities which give satisfaction/commitments and engagement with a new range of companions.

My godmother dired at 90 and 50% of the people at the funeral were UNDER 50! What she lost from her generation, she replaced!

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Ilndguy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Michigan
Reply #10 - Sep 5th, 2016 at 6:31pm

Good evening

I heard the same from an insurance exec., the average life expectancy after retirement is 3 years. You have to keep busy and your mind working, no matter what it is. I was helping my son paint his bedroom this weekend in his new house and now I can hardly move. Good times

Take care everyone

Ilndguy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 10:48pm

Hey Ilndguy,

There's a very high probability you're vitamin D3 deficient.  There are at least three studies done on people undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery where they found their serum 25(OH)D had dropped 40% by day two after the surgery and 70% by the third week after surgery.  See the following links:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If the CH beast is still jumping ugly on the back of your eye, you might want to try the anti-inflammatory regimen explained half way down the first page of the following link:

This regimen will build your serum vitamin D3 levels rapidly.  It also calls for three months of vitamin B 50...  That will help pep you up and put a spring in your step...

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Ilndguy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Michigan
Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2016 at 7:08am

Thanks everyone

I don't think I'm deficient in D3 because I've been on it for two weeks now. I didn't do the loading dose because I was only getting shadows. I've been PF for the last two days. Life is great again

I do have a question though.

I'm an avid reader and when my cycle started and I started getting my kip headaches I noticed when I read, I need readers, this would bring on my headaches. I read 100 pages yesterday for the first time reading since June. Has anyone experienced this before?

Thank you Batch for telling me about the D3, it worked!!!

I'm back to my self

Ilndguy

IP Logged

Ilndguy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Michigan
Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 1:14pm

UPDATE

Hello everyone

I've been an the D3 for approx. 3 weeks and have been PF for about 10 days. Last night I had to go to the hospital to find out my wife broke her neck. She is going to be okay, just has to wear a cervical collar for the next eight weeks. But when I got to the hospital and seen her I started getting a shadow. It only lasted for about 15 minutes. Could this have happened because of stress? 

She has even training for her first marathon all summer and was supposed to run tomorrow. She's is more devastated about that then the broken neck

All my best

Ilndguy

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2016 at 10:14am

Oh my god, this must be so devastating for your wife and a big disapointment. The main think is that despite the fact that she is going to miss the marathon, she has proven tp herself that she has been able to persevere with the training. It takes huge mental (and physical) strenght, perseverance and efforts to train like she did. Well done to her. She must feel soooo disapointed.
Yes it is likey that the shadow you felt was from stress, might not even have been a CH shadow but just a stress pressure. Delighted to know you've been Pain free, it sounds like you are another succes story of Batch's D3 regimen.
All the best

IP Logged

Ilndguy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Michigan
Reply #15 - Sep 18th, 2016 at 12:17pm

Thanks Thierry

I guess I'm paranoid. I didn't think of a stress headache. I'm lucky that I do not get headaches except for the bad ones.

She'll do it next year.

Ilndguy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #16 - Sep 18th, 2016 at 12:54pm

Hey Ilndguy,

You need to get your wife on the anti-inflammatory regimen. This will not only help mend the bones, it will also help limit the inflammation associated with her injury.  Have her tested for 25(OH)D.  As I indicated in the earlier post, trauma and surgery, particularly with bone injuries, depletes serum 25(OH)D rapidly.

Regarding your shadows, try 25 mg Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) in the am and pm.  It will help the vitamin D3 prevent your CH shadows.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #17 - Sep 18th, 2016 at 3:56pm

Ilndguy,

I'll second Batch's advice regarding your wife and the D3 regimen.

In March 2015 my wife broke her leg, requiring a metal plate to be inserted and a couple of months on crutches. Guess who did all the housework!!!!!

She had been taking the D3 regimen for some months before the accident as she suffers from chronic anaemia, so her 25 (OH) D levels were already up.

Her Orthopaedic Surgeon could not believe how quickly and fully she recovered, especially considering her Anaemia.

So, off you go and start ordering double quantities of everything.

Take care of her and yourself ,

Peter.

IP Logged

Ilndguy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Michigan
Reply #18 - Sep 18th, 2016 at 8:45pm

Thank you Peter and Batch

I'll get her on that starting tomorrow. I already have enough pills. I bought in quantity

Ilndguy

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #19 - Sep 19th, 2016 at 1:28am

Hope she recovers quickly Ilndguy.

Quite a few people have noted that stress can be a trigger for CH, although for some people it isn't the high stress but more in transitioning between low and high or vice versa.

IP Logged

Ilndguy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Michigan
Reply #20 - Sep 19th, 2016 at 5:34am

Thanks Mike,

My wife has a high tolerance for pain. She tripped a few months age running and broke her arm. The doctor told her it wasn't a bad break and a sling for four weeks would be okay. She wore it for it about three days and only missed two days of training. This time is a different story. The pain is really bad for her, which means it really hurts. I don't think I'll have trouble keeping the cervical collar on her.  She already said that she would start the d3. 

Housework is no problem for me, but styling her hair and putting on her makeup might be a problem. Her pain goes through the roof when she lifts her arm up. She'll more than likely look like a clown when I'm done. I told her I would go buy her a bunch of hats. Halloween is coming up. Maybe some masks also. Thank god we both have a sense of humor. "It will be okay" is our motto

Thanks as always

Ilndguy

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #21 - Sep 19th, 2016 at 6:00am

Have you installed grab bars in the shower???

I did and it was a Godsend when Christine was on crutches.

Gonna have to do it eventually!!!!!

Best,

Peter.

IP Logged

Ilndguy
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Michigan
Reply #22 - Sep 19th, 2016 at 6:10am

Hey Peter

That's a great idea but I don't want to rush that. Eventually is not going to happen for awhile. I still act like a kid, but I guess mentally is different than physically.

Ilndguy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!