Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vagus Nerve Stimulation - NOT (Read 2252 times)
Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Vagus Nerve Stimulation - NOT
Sep 6th, 2016 at 8:54am

Abstract
Objective

To evaluate non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation (nVNS) as an acute cluster headache (CH) treatment.
Background

Many patients with CH experience excruciating attacks at a frequency that is not sufficiently addressed by current symptomatic treatments.
Methods

One hundred fifty subjects were enrolled and randomized (1:1) to receive nVNS or sham treatment for ≤1 month during a double-blind phase; completers could enter a 3-month nVNS open-label phase. The primary end point was response rate, defined as the proportion of subjects who achieved pain relief (pain intensity of 0 or 1) at 15 minutes after treatment initiation for the first CH attack without rescue medication use through 60 minutes. Secondary end points included the sustained response rate (15-60 minutes). Subanalyses of episodic cluster headache (eCH) and chronic cluster headache (cCH) cohorts were prespecified.
Results

The intent-to-treat population comprised 133 subjects: 60 nVNS-treated (eCH, n = 38; cCH, n = 22) and 73 sham-treated (eCH, n = 47; cCH, n = 26). A response was achieved in 26.7% of nVNS-treated subjects and 15.1% of sham-treated subjects (P = .1). Response rates were significantly higher with nVNS than with sham for the eCH cohort (nVNS, 34.2%; sham, 10.6%; P = .008) but not the cCH cohort (nVNS, 13.6%; sham, 23.1%; P = .48). Sustained response rates were significantly higher with nVNS for the eCH cohort (P = .008) and total population (P = .04). Adverse device effects (ADEs) were reported by 35/150 (nVNS, 11; sham, 24) subjects in the double-blind phase and 18/128 subjects in the open-label phase. No serious ADEs occurred.
Conclusions

In one of the largest randomized sham-controlled studies for acute CH treatment, the response rate was not significantly different (vs sham) for the total population; nVNS provided significant, clinically meaningful, rapid, and sustained benefits for eCH but not for cCH, which affected results in the total population. This safe and well-tolerated treatment represents a novel and promising option for eCH. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01792817.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Potter
Ex Member

Re: Vagus Nerve Stimulation - NOT
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2016 at 10:33am

Bob P wrote on Sep 6th, 2016 at 8:54am:
Abstract
Objective

To evaluate non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation (nVNS) as an acute cluster headache (CH) treatment.
Background

Many patients with CH experience excruciating attacks at a frequency that is not sufficiently addressed by current symptomatic treatments.
Methods

One hundred fifty subjects were enrolled and randomized (1:1) to receive nVNS or sham treatment for ≤1 month during a double-blind phase; completers could enter a 3-month nVNS open-label phase. The primary end point was response rate, defined as the proportion of subjects who achieved pain relief (pain intensity of 0 or 1) at 15 minutes after treatment initiation for the first CH attack without rescue medication use through 60 minutes. Secondary end points included the sustained response rate (15-60 minutes). Subanalyses of episodic cluster headache (eCH) and chronic cluster headache (cCH) cohorts were prespecified.
Results

The intent-to-treat population comprised 133 subjects: 60 nVNS-treated (eCH, n = 38; cCH, n = 22) and 73 sham-treated (eCH, n = 47; cCH, n = 26). A response was achieved in 26.7% of nVNS-treated subjects and 15.1% of sham-treated subjects (P = .1). Response rates were significantly higher with nVNS than with sham for the eCH cohort (nVNS, 34.2%; sham, 10.6%; P = .008) but not the cCH cohort (nVNS, 13.6%; sham, 23.1%; P = .48). Sustained response rates were significantly higher with nVNS for the eCH cohort (P = .008) and total population (P = .04). Adverse device effects (ADEs) were reported by 35/150 (nVNS, 11; sham, 24) subjects in the double-blind phase and 18/128 subjects in the open-label phase. No serious ADEs occurred.
Conclusions

In one of the largest randomized sham-controlled studies for acute CH treatment, the response rate was not significantly different (vs sham) for the total population; nVNS provided significant, clinically meaningful, rapid, and sustained benefits for eCH but not for cCH, which affected results in the total population. This safe and well-tolerated treatment represents a novel and promising option for eCH. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01792817.

Here we can see clearly where we analyze carefully and thoroughly , can you see from several points of difference and comparison , can be achieved with the central idea that departs from the main argument , and if we analyze the image to my knowledge , since it is a particular case , we can conclude after several scientific studies , through some research that my comment makes no sense .... thank you for your attention.

Potter

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 8:34am

Quote:
  Here we can see clearly where we analyze carefully and thoroughly , can you see from several points of difference and comparison , can be achieved with the central idea that departs from the main argument , and if we analyze the image to my knowledge , since it is a particular case , we can conclude after several scientific studies , through some research that my comment makes no sense .... thank you for your attention.

Potter

Exactly!

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 6:14pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 7:15pm

I've been using gammaCore for a number of years

Before starting D3 it was my first line of defence and worked very well.

I have a unit with me at all times and never go anywhere without it.

Mind you, I have only used it over a one week period since starting the D3 regimen.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2016 at 12:10am

Peter510 wrote on Sep 7th, 2016 at 7:15pm:
I have a unit with me at all times and never go anywhere without it.

Mind you, I have only used it over a one week period since starting the D3 regimen.

This is a great example of not just how D3 does great stuff, but being prepared in case. (This really makes me remember the cub scout motto from quite a few years ago "Be prepared"!).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!