Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What did I do wrong? (Read 2765 times)
RRChocolate
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

What did I do wrong?
Sep 11th, 2016 at 8:25pm

I finally got my O2 setup - an M tank of medical oxygen, the 02 mask kit from this site, and a 15 lpm regulator.

I was almost excited to start using it when the next day I got a headache at work, at Kip 1-3. I finished up at work and came home, stopping for an errand on the way. I had hit 4 by the time I came home, but then dropped down to 2. I assembled the pieces and started breathing at 15 lpm, a faster than normal pace. I stayed on oxygen for 15 minutes. It didn't seem to make a huge difference. I took a ten minute break and then went back to another 15 minutes. I was down to a 1 by the time I stopped. I popped a sumatripatan tablet, which has worked on shadows in the past.
The headache came back over the next hour, increasing up to a 6 or 7 (the worst I usually get). I again took 15 minutes of oxygen, also at 15 lpm, but breathing faster than before, and eliminated the headache. I walked to another room and realized I was very dizzy. I put my head down and ate and drank something. After another hour, was pain and dizzyness free.

Since I am new to oxygen, I am trying to figure out what went wrong. Why didn't it work the first two times? Why did the headache get significantly worse after taking oxygen? Why did I get dizzy (I never get dizzy from a headache)? What should I do next time?
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2016 at 8:28pm by RRChocolate »  

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Re: What did I do wrong?
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2016 at 9:16pm

First off, the O2 needs to be taken at the sign of a CH, or else it is pretty much useless.

Secondly, and this is for me, if I breathe fast, it only makes my CH worse, not better. I try to remain calm, and take calculated, steady breaths. I breathe deep enough that I can fill my lungs, and inhale for a count of 5, then exhale for a count of 5, emptying my lungs as much as possible. The trick for me, is exhaling slow enough to let the bag completely fill back up again before inhaling. I have my reg set on 15 lpm at first, but turn it down a notch as my breathing stabilizes.

I've used O2 for the last 4 cycles (which has spanned over 10 years), so I've had practice at what works for me, and what doesn't. It may just take some trial and error on your part, but don't give up on it.

Not sure if you read the link to the left of the page about oxygen info, so if you haven't, please do check it out! Hang in there!

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 8:46pm

HIYA Mel...nice to see ya again...where ya bin SIS???

RR...lissen up...this be good stuff!!

First off, the O2 needs to be taken at the sign of a CH, or else it is pretty much useless.

Yup hit it fast is usually best...tho I note...at one point in my ch career I had to wait until a hit got to Kip 2 before O2...or it would come back in 20 mins. It was really strange...but before...and after that oddness...the sooner the better!!...

Secondly, and this is for me, if I breathe fast, it only makes my CH worse, not better. I try to remain calm, and take calculated, steady breaths. I breathe deep enough that I can fill my lungs, and inhale for a count of 5, then exhale for a count of 5, emptying my lungs as much as possible. The trick for me, is exhaling slow enough to let the bag completely fill back up again before inhaling. I have my reg set on 15 lpm at first, but turn it down a notch as my breathing stabilizes.

Again...we're all different..so EXPERIMENT...on yourself...take nothing for gospel...tho you will find it mostly IS here. I find this paragraph above delightfully spot on to my experience. After many years of thrashing, screaming,  DANCING, and general apparent insanity...I FINALLY figured out that sweat and angst and ADRENALINE were the enemy...I calmed way the F down...SLOW DEEP breaths...concentrating on CALM were the ticket. My belief...in MY own experience... that doing so reduced blood pressure, adrenaline, heart rate, mental anguish...and led to a much better outcome...
YMMV...

I've used O2 for the last 4 cycles (which has spanned over 10 years), so I've had practice at what works for me, and what doesn't. It may just take some trial and error on your part, but don't give up on it.

Yabba dabba doo.......

Not sure if you read the link to the left of the page about oxygen info, so if you haven't, please do check it out! Hang in there!

YES!

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2016 at 9:43pm

jon019 wrote on Sep 12th, 2016 at 8:46pm:

Hi brother Jon. Smiley I've been around, but really only say something if I feel I can contribute. Otherwise, I'm on CrackFaceBook. Hope you are doing well!!

Hugs,
Smileymel

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Rumeke
CH.com Veteran

Westfield, NC
Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2016 at 11:05pm

RR Chocolate,

Putting my 2 cents worth in here. If I take rapid breaths on O2..the pain definitely intensifies. I've found slow deep breaths. as much as I can take in then holding it for a few seconds and slow deep exhale works the best. I can usually feel a lessening of the pain in a few minutes. Staying calm and trying to relax seems to help too.

I realize everyone is different and it took me a few times before I found what worked for me. It's hard to drag your butt out of a nice bed when the pain hits at night but the longer you wait, the longer you will be up getting the O2 to work.

Rarely I seem to reach a limit where the pain is not lessening..staying the same for 4 minutes or more. I cut myself off the O2 for a few minutes and then try again. Usually works the 2nd time.

Don't give up..O2 will become your best buddy. Get a small E tank to keep in the car in case you get hit while out. I learned this the hard way when I was 30 minutes from home. In the car I just use the regular non-rebreather mask and cover the holes for inhale.

Judy

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2016 at 2:52am

Melissa wrote on Sep 15th, 2016 at 9:43pm:
jon019 wrote on Sep 12th, 2016 at 8:46pm:

Hi brother Jon. Smiley I've been around, but really only say something if I feel I can contribute. Otherwise, I'm on CrackFaceBook. Hope you are doing well!!

Hugs,
Smileymel

Miles of smiles  yuuu...and I do miss munchin pics....it'll be Hallowenie SOON ya know.....how's about??

Yuuu...sayin'..."welllll...I think"...IS a contribution...

Wishin' I knew ANYTHING about Face-Blook (Barthowlemew Cubbins comes to mind)...I tried...there aint nothing I get....ch.com gots specific categories...faceshjlook got whines....SORRY...guess I'm OLD........................

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2016 at 4:01pm

RR,  Melissa is correct.  When you feel the first twinge of a H.A. coming on, get thee to your 02. 

02 with the proper regulator, works fantastic to abort a H.A. but it has to be used immediately.

everyone is different around here as to what works, which meds are best, etc.  For me...Chronic for 26 years....at the first twinge, I start a pot of strong coffee, while reaching for a bag of frozen peas or corn to put on my head, and crank up the 02 and breathe rapidly.  (some do not do this.  your results may vary. lol)  try it both ways to see which way works for you.

When I see that this particular H.A. is gonna be a bitch, then and only then do I go for the Imitrex.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

ClosetCHer
CH.com Junior

United States
Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2016 at 7:34pm

Quick note from my experience....O2 isn't necessarily "useless" if you're not able to use it at the initial sign of a CH. I've had great success aborting everything up to a Kip 10 with oxygen, but the success rate isn't as high if I the CH is further along (or you may have to hit O2 for 20 minutes, take a break, and then go at it again). We all know that living next to an O2 tank during cycles isn't possible so occasionally a few CHs slip through. Get your breathing down as they will help tremendously. I was able to adjust my breathing approach this last cycle and that helped to abort CHs faster but also saved 02.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 8:34am

Quote:
the next day I got a headache at work, at Kip 1-3. I finished up at work and came home, stopping for an errand on the way. I had hit 4 by the time I came home
Doesn't sound like classic cluster to me.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!