Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1st time D3 & no Verap, but frequent urination (Read 2915 times)
littlee
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

1st time D3 & no Verap, but frequent urination
Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:02am

Hello all,

Checking back in after a year and half (as normal, though a subtle shift in cycles by a few months). I'm 56, suffering 32 years, diagnosed only 12 years ago. Verap and O2 have kept me mostly in check. >7's pretty rare in the last few cycles. I hit O2 immediately and am lucky enough to not be far away from it during a cycle, EVER!

I started D3 half way through my last cycle and wasn't sure how much it helped since by the time I ramped up my levels it was time for my cycle to go away.

I started the D3 regimen for the 2nd time last week (first time without Verapamil). So far so good (Day 6 of the regimen). I took a 50K dose then, 20K per day. I think this is the Batch's 2 week ramp up version. So far, headaches mostly nightime and nothing major <5 and O2 handles all so far, 20-30 min durations max. Usually one just after falling asleep, 2 more during the night, one to wake up to. Sometimes a mid morning hit and an evening hit but not every day. My cycles usually last about 6 weeks. If they would stay like this I would take it every time, right? It's still early (knock on wood).

I don't know if it's the lack of Verap but I certainly feel different this cycle. Gone is the total lack of energy and Zombie feeling Verap gave me. What I do feel is massive tension, especially in the my neck right at the base of my skull. I picture an oversized pulsating Hypothalmus in control of everything (a Sci Fi thriller!). I have one of these firm foam rollers (kind of P90x ish) and I lay down and place it under my neck. It somehow helps but I get these waves like during a high Kip headache but without pain.

Also, lack of concentration (could not find a single piece of this Gustav Klimt puzzle after staring at for 10 minutes), a bit spacy.

These later symptoms I always attributed to Verap but maybe it was always the Beast.

The other issue the last few days is I feel kidney pressure and have the need to urinate very frequently, every 15 minutes or so while writing this (I'm over 50 so no need to accelerate things even more).  Has anyone had this reaction to the D3 regimen? The only difference the last 2 days is I finally added the Magnesium 400mg's.

I live in Easter Europe so my brands are mixed:
- one tablet Mega Mens 50+
- 2 1K Omega (180/120 ea)
- 1 GNC Calcium Complete (200mg)
- 2 Solgar Magnesium Citrate (200mg ea)
- 2 Solgar K2(m7 100 mcg ea)
- Solgar liquid D3 (1x 50K, 6 x 20K)

Am I missing something? I tried searching the threads but could not find a way to find the specific topic within the many many pages of a particular thread.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: 1st time D3 & no Verap, but frequent urination
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:56am

Hey Littlee,

Thanks for the update and feedback.  Have you seen your PCP for the 25(OH)D lab test?  This is important as it will give us the needed information to determine the optimum vitamin D3 loading dose.

Off hand, I'd say you're off to a good start.  That said, the goal of this treatment protocol is a pain free response. 

Accordingly, don't forget the 3-month course of vitamin B 50. You also may want to add some Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) or another first-generation antihistamine.  25 to 50 mg of Diphenhydramine every 4 hours for a week should work wonders in reducing the frequency of your CH to zero...

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

littlee
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 11:32am

Sorry, meant to post that my starting point (after only 2 days on D3) is 39 ng/ml.  I think last time my cycle started (mid Nov 2014) I was low 20's. I was mid cycle when I started the D3 last time but got it up to high 40's before my cycle started to wind down in Jan '15.

I'll try the dyphenhydraphine and start including the B50 (assuming I can find it here in Bulgaria).

Any of the Vitamins have anything to do with frequent urination?

Thanks for everything!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 5:20pm

Hey Littlee,

Good question...  Over five years and better than 250 responses to the online survey questionnaire, I've yet to see any comment or complaint about an increase in the frequency of urination.  I'm not saying it can't happen... You appear to be the first to report this response.

I've run my 25(OH)D well over 160 ng/mL and drinking 2 liters of water a day during this year's heavy pollen season and it had no significant effect on my frequency of urination.

Regarding your 25(OH)D serum concentration of 39 ng/mL and vitamin D3 dose...  You'll need a total vitamin D3 loading dose of 400,000 IU vitamin D3.  The basic conversion rule of thumb is an increase of 10 ng/mL for every 100,000 IU of vitamin D3 taken.

Accordingly, that works out to 50,000 IU/day for 8 days.  As you've already started vitamin D3, subtract the amount taken so far from 400,000 IU then divide by 50,000 to get the number of days at 50,000 IU/day.

Regarding the Diphenhydramine HCL.  If it's not readily available, see your local chemist for a first-generation antihistamine and suggested dose for an allergic reaction.  There are several of them and most should work just fine.

What's the color of your urine?  If it's bright yellow or dark yellow, you're not drinking enough water.  If it's a light yellow or straw colored, you're fluid levels are spot on.  If it's predominantly clear with no color, your fluid intake may be too high.

If the frequent urination persists, see your PCP.  You may have something else cooking away...

Take care,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2016 at 5:21pm by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

littlee
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 9:03am

Always my thanks Batch for finding the time/patience to answer all these posts (been reading a lot since I found this site about 12 years ago or so). Don't post much but I appreciate this site very much.

Urination is light to clear. Seems like my drinking (water/coffee only) has been constant but I'll watch it.

I found Calmaben here in BG. It says purely a sleeping aid. 50mg diphenhydramine hydrochloride. I've taken one pill (just before bed) for 2 nights. First night I made it about 4 hours straight (like you said) than a few hits till wake up time and one just after waking up. Second night I had a hit within an hour then the four hours without, then repeat hits every 2 hours. Still happy the hits seem lighter than the past but I hit the O2 pronto.

It seems a bit heavy and I haven't had the need during the day so I'll keep it as is at night and maybe have another pill handy for middle of the night. Maybe split the 50 in two.

I've been doing 20K daily/50K 1x per week on the D3. I was a little nervous about the 50K per day but I think I'll get more aggressive.

This cycle is like I'm taking it straight (no verap, earlier Indomethacin worked a few times) and I'm just not used to this feeling. The pressure where my skull attaches to my spine and the overall tension is intense. I feel like I'm drugged on uppers or something. I just finished an easy jog (which I would never have the energy to do on cycle) and I feel I need another one. Just weird.

It would not completely surprise me in Bulgaria to have my O2 be off somehow. Paranoia!!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 2:29pm

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the feedback, I know what you're going through with Diphenhydramine as I've had the same problem.  What we're up against deals with the pharmacokinetics of Diphenhydramine. 

The time to Tmax is listed as 2.6 hours for an oral dose of Diphenhydramine.  This is the time needed for an oral dose of Diphenhyramine to reach a maximum serum concentration from ingestion.  This is also where Diphenhydramine reaches its maximum therapeutic effect.

The other important number is the Diphenhydramine half-life (T1/2).  This is the time from oral dose ingestion to the point in time where the serum concentration has dropped to one half of Tmax serum concentration. 

That basically leaves us with a window of time between Tmax and T1/2 of 4 to six hours at a therapeutic serum concentration as illustrated in the following graphic.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

There are two ways to maintain a constant therapeutic serum concentration of Diphenhydramine, decrease the dosing interval and increase the dose.   

Sooo... Diphenhydramine pharmacokinetics suggest dosing every 4 to 6 hours at 25 mg.  This sounds simple...  However I've found the dosing interval needs to be 25 mg every 4 hours during the day from wake-up and 50 mg at bedtime..which should give you at least 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

I also had to modify the  vitamin D3 dosing interval and dose with a maintenance dose of 20,000 IU/day taken with the largest meal of the day along with the cofactors.  In addition, I needed an additional 10,000 IU vitamin D3 at bedtime and another 10,000 IU vitamin D3 upon waking up in the morning to remain CH pain free day and night.

The rationale for this vitamin D3 dosing schedule is based on the following graph illustrating the Pharmcokinetics and serum concentrations of vitamin D3 and 25(OH)D3.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The data I've collected so far indicates both vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) and 25(OH)D3 both enter target cells within the brain and in particular the trigeminal ganglia where they are further hydroxylated to 1,25(OH)2D3, (Calcitriol), the genetically active vitamin D3 metabolite responsible for preventing CH.

Be sure to see your PCP for lab tests of your serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH on a monthly basis until you're able to stop taking the Diphenhydramine and reduce the vitamin D3 intake to a maintenance dose of 10,000 IU/day.  In practice, it has taken me up to a month to remain CH pain free where I could stop taking the Diphenhydramine and lower my vitamin D3 dose to 10,000 IU/day. 

During that time, my serum 25(OH)D was > 164.7 ng/mL.  That didn't concern me or my PCP as long as my serum total calcium remained within its normal reference range of 8.5 to 10.5 mg/dL and my PTH remained at the low end of its normal reference range of 17 to 70 pg/mL.

As a rule, whenever I need to take more than 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 or my serum 25(OH)D is over 100 ng/mL, I stop taking calcium supplements, avoid calcium rich food types and drink 2 liters of water a day.  This helps lessen the calcium load on the kidneys.

Check your PM InBox, I've sent you a PM.  To read this PM click on the words in bould You have
1 new message
in the upper left corner of this window under the date.

Hope this helps...

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!