Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Not everything is.....as it appears... (Read 921 times)
jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Not everything is.....as it appears...
Sep 23rd, 2016 at 12:17am

I buy my weekly lottery tickets at the local 7-11...well...I should say TICKET. More than one is foolish...because it ONLY takes ONE to win. Throwing away money...to me...is like tossing manhole covers...rare and tiring....but it IS jus one! (and "they" say it's for a good cause"....bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) And....there is a saying..."ya caint win if ya don't play"...so I DO...the ONE.

Anyway.....long story short...the clerk is a young, bearded, turban wearing  fellow...I suppose from Pakistan, India or some nearby region....dunno....doesn't matter...seems to be the norm in these jobs. Remarkable in the fact that he APPEARS the most dour...weight of the world on his shoulders...heavy-hearted...saddest sumbitch I have ever seen! Many's the time I left feeling sorry for the troubles he must be enduring......

Well jonboy....looks can be deceiving. Today... a small Hispanic lady was in front of me at the counter...having a little trouble understanding the charges...and this gentleman broke into perfect Spanish....and all was well.  My eyes got so big I expect they made a sound... because he glanced at me and smiled! Most of us are so proud we can speak English...and here was a fellow who must speak AT LEAST 3 languages!...and he's a clerk in a convenience store. My assumptions shame me.

On the way out...I said "gracias amigo...adios"....to which he replied "da nada...adios" with a twinkle in his eye...I do so need to adjust my assumptions..........

Best

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Re: Not everything is.....as it appears...
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2016 at 4:22pm

I agree jon - never judge a book by it's cover.

Many years ago when my son was about 16 he brought his new best friend home.  This kid had dyed black long spikey hair, a leather jacket covered in studs and chains, tattoos all over his neck ( before it was fashionable) and he wore a leather collar with inch long spikes protruding from it.
I was horrified. Couldn't get him out of my house fast enough.  I tried to discourage the friendship but got nowhere.

As time went on, It turned out, this boy was the most polite, well mannered, helpful, kind, and honest young man I'd ever met.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Re: Not everything is.....as it appears...
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2016 at 9:50pm

Excellent post and reminder, Jon. If his turban points toward the front and back, he is a Sikh, not to be confused with either Hindu or Muslim. All of the Sikh's I've known have been wonderful people. They are very loyal to those they like, but you don't want to be their enemy! During WWII they refused to wear any headwear other than their turbans, disdaining danger of death.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!