Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to the site, not new to the fight. (Read 2966 times)
FuJQ12
CH.com Newbie

Fighting the fight.

United Kingdom, London
New to the site, not new to the fight.
Oct 30th, 2016 at 9:11pm

Hello! Not sure why I haven't reached out to the online community for so long but on impulse today I decided to go ahead and create an account.

I'm JC, 21 years old from London, United Kingdom. I have been fighting chronic cluster headaches since I was diagnosed back in 2011/2012. Like many I'm sure, I went through a plethora of misdiagnosis before actually hitting the mark. I believe I have been extremely fortunate to be referred to neurologists that fully understand our condition; first to Dr. Tim Young at The Whittington Hospital then further onto Dr. Manjit Matharu at The National Hospital for Neurology & Neurosurgery. 

At first my clusters were episodic in nature, and even then it was a nightmare. One day however, awaiting the saving grace of a remission, it just didn't happen. And now, four years down the line I'm still fighting against the beast. My headaches in particular are a major pain in the ass. Although the frequency and timing of the headaches have changed due to medication over the years, I have always had my headaches between midnight and noon. It's almost like something is taunting me to force me experience everything at night.

Unable to sleep when I should sleep, then sleeping when I should be awake. As most of you can imagine, society doesn't agree with my day being flipped around. This has undoubtedly had an effect on what I should have done; finish my studies and move on to university. Instead I wait each night, to fight the fight. Then, exhausted both mentally and physically fall into a much needed sleep, only to wake to a new "day" of cluster headaches. I remember before I had medication that worked, I used to have days chained into each other where I would wake to cluster headaches, fall asleep from fatigue after the bout only to be forced awake by the next bout. I would spend days locked into these headaches neither eating or talking to anyone (the longest being 4-5 days).

The depression and anxiety I have pulled through in the short few years with cluster headaches has, as much as I dislike to admit, broke me. I can account two different times where I have attempted to commit suicide. But through all the horror and pain I was experiencing, I realised one simple fact. I didn't want to die. How amazingly resilient, or stupid, we as people are really dawned upon me that one day. I was going through so much hell and I still couldn't bring myself to properly end my life. There was once when I was embarrassed to acknowledge how fragile I had become, but now I'd like to say a stronger person than I used to be. My bravado falls slightly short of all you guys who have managed to deal with this for so much longer than I have though!

Enough of my sob-story though. Currently I have 6-8 headaches a day, lasting 30-60 minutes between 1:30 am and the last at 8:00 am (there are variations dependent on which day of the week it is). This I would say, is a 50% improvement on what it used to be – before all the medication and stuff.

I have been taking Verapamil 960 mg daily since 2012. In addition I am still using 2 Imigram injections (subcutaneous sumatriptan injections) a day and have 100% 15 lpm medical oxygen with a non-rebreather mask (though oxygen was effective initially it now has no effect on my cluster headaches). 

Other medications I have taken: 
?: Zolmitriptan 2.5mg :Ineffective
?: Almotriptan 12.5mg :Ineffective
?: Indometacin 75mg t.d.s. :Ineffective - To test for a particular condition "similar" to CH and very effective at treating it
? 2012: Pizotifen 1.5mg q.d. :Ineffective
? 2013-November 2014: Topiramate 200mg b.d. :Initially highly effective
? 2013-October 2014: Gabapentin 1200mg t.d.s. : Partially effective in reduction of frequency of attacks
March-September 2014: Melatonin 15mg noct. :Ineffective
November 2014: Lithium 300mg b.d. for 2 weeks :Ineffective, side effects nausea and vomiting.
Feburary 2015-June 2015: Sodium valproate 2g daily :Ineffective
? 2015 for 2-3 months: Pregabalin 300mg b.d. :Ineffective

I have also tried greater occipital nerve block injections and multiple cranial nerve block injections with temporal partial improvement. In 2014 I started going to the hospital to have IV DHE to surprising effectiveness – complete and utter pain free while having the infusion with further residual benefit for another week after being discharged. While short-lived and only able to go in a few times it had helped greatly at the time to take a "break". When it comes down to alternative treatments, I have tried acupuncture and Chinese reflexology (head/foot/back). *Also tried Vitamin D3 regimen for a few months a few years back albeit with little success (thanks for reminding me Rumeke).

In January 2016 I went into hospital to undergo an operation for the insertion of a Sphenopalatine Ganglion (SPG) stimulator. I began stimulating it sometime during the middle of this year and so far have seen a 20-30% improvement in both severity of pain and frequency of attacks. I have been notified that deep brain stimulation surgery is still on the table if SPG stimulation ceases to be beneficial but I am hoping that I will continue to see further benefit. 

I realise I left out talking about the actual pain and headache symptoms but this is already longer than I thought it would be! I could write an essay on cluster headaches but I'm trying to keep it short – if this is what you could call short. Now as I am finishing to write this I still am unsure what I am looking for by telling my story. Being a cluster headache sufferer can be one of the loneliest feelings, perhaps I just want my story to be out there among all the rest.

*Edit: added Vitamin D3 regimen   
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2016 at 1:16am by FuJQ12 »  

IP Logged

Rumeke
CH.com Veteran

Westfield, NC
Re: New to the site, not new to the fight.
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 10:16pm

JC...I won't say welcome to the group..but welcome from those who know your suffering and understand. You are not alone!

Those behind me will chime in shortly with far more wisdom than I will ever have. I'm sure Batch (our resident Guru) will be on here soon with information about the D3 Regimen.

Just know that we all share your experience in one way or another. I know when I found this site I cried because I honestly thought no one knew what I went through and to have someone respond with understanding and support actually helped me through the pain.

Wishing Pain Free days in your future
Judy

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 11:15pm

As the lovely Rumeke says, JC, you're no longer alone.

Welcome home.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

FuJQ12
CH.com Newbie

Fighting the fight.

United Kingdom, London
Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 11:24pm

Quote:
Posted by: Rumeke      Posted on: Today at 22:16:31
JC...I won't say welcome to the group..but welcome from those who know your suffering and understand. You are not alone!

Those behind me will chime in shortly with far more wisdom than I will ever have. I'm sure Batch (our resident Guru) will be on here soon with information about the D3 Regimen.

Just know that we all share your experience in one way or another. I know when I found this site I cried because I honestly thought no one knew what I went through and to have someone respond with understanding and support actually helped me through the pain.

Wishing Pain Free days in your future
Judy

Thank you. It's always particularly special when you talk with people who truly understand what we go through. I've been fortunate (or unfortunate if you see it that way too) to meet other sufferers and to talk with them about our mutual condition. It surprised me immensely how jolly the older members were and could not help but feel humbled.

You actually reminded me about the Vitamin D3 regimen, I had forgotten about it. A few years back I read about something like that on clusterbusters attempted to follow it for a few months. I don't remember finding much benefit from it and my neurologist was not agreeable when I talked to him about it hence I soon stopped. I would be more than willing to try it again if I can get a go-ahead (or just rebel and do it anyway Smiley). I will also add that into the initial post when I can, currently on a break from the beast, next one is coming soon though!

IP Logged

FuJQ12
CH.com Newbie

Fighting the fight.

United Kingdom, London
Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 11:24pm

Quote:
Posted by: AussieBrian      Posted on: Today at 23:15:04
As the lovely Rumeke says, JC, you're no longer alone.

Thank you <3.

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2016 at 3:44am

JC,

Welcome. I've been chronic for a few years. I understand your post as if it were my own.

It's time to start reading up on the D3 Regimen:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Part 2 deals with the Regimen, science, loading doses etc.

Read, read, read and ask questions. Then.....get started.

Best regards,

Peter.
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2016 at 8:00pm by Peter510 »  

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

thierry
CH.com Alumnus

I Love CH.com!

Galway, Ireland
Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2016 at 5:40am

Hi JC, sorry you're here but glad that you've found CH.com
We all understand your pain and the horrible waiting for the pain to come.
You mention that you have tried the D3 regimen but had no success.
I would suggest that you try it again, there has been additions and changes to the D3 regimen in the last couple of years.
It is working for over 80% of people who take it.
There are good websites in UK where you can buy all the supplements needed, alternatively, iherb.com in the U.S is also a great place to shop, the postage costs are  low if keeping the packakges below 4lbs weight.
Batch, the creator and designer of the D3 regimen has come up with a very efficicent loading schedule that enables the rapid rise of D3 in our body and therefore allows us to reach pain reduction or pain free status quicker. 
Ask all the questions you want here and stick around, this is a great place with a great bunch of poeple.

All the best

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2016 at 2:39pm

After working with two significant hospitals and physicians it almos feel like an intrusion offering any suggestions! But, let's press on.
=====
Maybe you don't have Cluster.

Look under: Medications,  Treatments,  Therapies -› Important Topics ->Cluster-LIKE headache
------
Cephalalgia. 2010 Apr;30(4):399-412. Epub 2010 Feb 15.

Cluster-like headache. A comprehensive reappraisal.
Mainardi F, Trucco M, Maggioni F, Palestini C, Dainese F, Zanchin G.

Headache Centre, Neurological Division, SS. Giovanni e Paolo Hospital, Venice, Italy. federico.mainardi@ulss12.ve.it

Abstract
Among the primary headaches, cluster headache (CH) presents very particular features allowing a relatively easy diagnosis based on criteria listed in Chapter 3 of the International Classification of Headache Disorders (ICHD-II). However, as in all primary headaches, possible underlying causal conditions must be excluded to rule out a secondary cluster-like headache (CLH). THE OBSERVATION OF SOME CASES WITH CLINICAL FEATURES MIMICKING PRIMARY CH, BUT OF SECONDARY ORIGIN, led us to perform an extended review of CLH reports in the literature. We identified 156 CLH cases published from 1975 to 2008. THE MORE FREQUENT PATHOLOGIES IN ASSOCIATION WITH CLH WERE THE VASCULAR ONES (38.5%, N = 57), FOLLOWED BY TUMOURS (25.7%, N = 38) AND INFLAMMATORY INFECTIOUS DISEASES (13.5%, N = 20). Eighty were excluded from further analysis, because of inadequate information. The remaining 76 were divided into two groups: those that satisfied the ICHD-II diagnostic criteria for CH, 'fulfilling' group (F), n = 38; and those with a symptomatology in disagreement with one or more ICHD-II criteria, 'not fulfilling' group (NF), n = 38. Among the aims of this study was the possible identification of clinical features leading to the suspicion of a symptomatic origin. In the differential diagnosis with CH, red flags resulted both for F and NF, older age at onset; for NF, abnormal neurological/general examination (73.6%), duration (34.2%), frequency (15.8%) and localization (10.5%) of the attacks.

WE STRESS THE FACT THAT, ON FIRST OBSERVATION, 50% OF CLH PRESENTED AS F CASES, PERFECTLY MIMICKING CH. THEREFORE, THE IMPORTANCE OF ACCURATE, CLINICAL EVALUATION AND OF NEUROIMAGING CANNOT BE OVERESTIMATED.

PMID: 19735480 [PubMed
==========
At this stage, it's worth asking your docs whether they have considered this possibility.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

FuJQ12
CH.com Newbie

Fighting the fight.

United Kingdom, London
Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2016 at 4:39am

Quote:
Posted by: Peter510      Posted on: Yesterday at 03:44:42
JC,

Welcome. I've been chronic for a few years. I understand your post as if it were my own.

It's time to start reading up on the D3 Regimen:

LINK

Part 2 deals with the Regimen, science, loading doses etc.

Read, read, read and ask questions. Then.....get started.

Best regards,

Peter.

Thanks! I've gotten a pm from Batch and I'll get round to reading up on it. I hope you'll find a way out of this hell-hole too!

Quote:
Posted by: thierry      Posted on: Yesterday at 05:40:05
Hi JC, sorry you're here but glad that you've found CH.com
We all understand your pain and the horrible waiting for the pain to come.
You mention that you have tried the D3 regimen but had no success.
I would suggest that you try it again, there has been additions and changes to the D3 regimen in the last couple of years.
It is working for over 80% of people who take it.
There are good websites in UK where you can buy all the supplements needed, alternatively, iherb.com in the U.S is also a great place to shop, the postage costs are  low if keeping the packakges below 4lbs weight.
Batch, the creator and designer of the D3 regimen has come up with a very efficicent loading schedule that enables the rapid rise of D3 in our body and therefore allows us to reach pain reduction or pain free status quicker. 
Ask all the questions you want here and stick around, this is a great place with a great bunch of poeple.

All the best

I'll definitely take a good look at the D3 regimen again. I'm sincerely happy to hear so many people have found pain free days from it. Oh, and thank you for the welcome!

Quote:
Posted by: Bob Johnson      Posted on: Yesterday at 14:39:46
After working with two significant hospitals and physicians it almos feel like an intrusion offering any suggestions! But, let's press on.
=====
Maybe you don't have Cluster.

Look under: Medications,  Treatments,  Therapies -› Important Topics ->Cluster-LIKE headache
------
Cephalalgia. 2010 Apr;30(4):399-412. Epub 2010 Feb 15.

Cluster-like headache. A comprehensive reappraisal.
Mainardi F, Trucco M, Maggioni F, Palestini C, Dainese F, Zanchin G.

Headache Centre, Neurological Division, SS. Giovanni e Paolo Hospital, Venice, Italy. federico.mainardi@ulss12.ve.it

Abstract
Among the primary headaches, cluster headache (CH) presents very particular features allowing a relatively easy diagnosis based on criteria listed in Chapter 3 of the International Classification of Headache Disorders (ICHD-II). However, as in all primary headaches, possible underlying causal conditions must be excluded to rule out a secondary cluster-like headache (CLH). THE OBSERVATION OF SOME CASES WITH CLINICAL FEATURES MIMICKING PRIMARY CH, BUT OF SECONDARY ORIGIN, led us to perform an extended review of CLH reports in the literature. We identified 156 CLH cases published from 1975 to 2008. THE MORE FREQUENT PATHOLOGIES IN ASSOCIATION WITH CLH WERE THE VASCULAR ONES (38.5%, N = 57), FOLLOWED BY TUMOURS (25.7%, N = 38) AND INFLAMMATORY INFECTIOUS DISEASES (13.5%, N = 20). Eighty were excluded from further analysis, because of inadequate information. The remaining 76 were divided into two groups: those that satisfied the ICHD-II diagnostic criteria for CH, 'fulfilling' group (F), n = 38; and those with a symptomatology in disagreement with one or more ICHD-II criteria, 'not fulfilling' group (NF), n = 38. Among the aims of this study was the possible identification of clinical features leading to the suspicion of a symptomatic origin. In the differential diagnosis with CH, red flags resulted both for F and NF, older age at onset; for NF, abnormal neurological/general examination (73.6%), duration (34.2%), frequency (15.8%) and localization (10.5%) of the attacks.

WE STRESS THE FACT THAT, ON FIRST OBSERVATION, 50% OF CLH PRESENTED AS F CASES, PERFECTLY MIMICKING CH. THEREFORE, THE IMPORTANCE OF ACCURATE, CLINICAL EVALUATION AND OF NEUROIMAGING CANNOT BE OVERESTIMATED.

PMID: 19735480 [PubMed
==========
At this stage, it's worth asking your docs whether they have considered this possibility.

Hello! Whilst I have never personally asked my neurologists, I do believe they have taken steps to rule out CH-like conditions. I have undergone an MRI brain scan with both neurologists from the get-go and a Dyna-CT (angio) scan at the start of this year. I can remember being heavily evaluated by Dr. Matharu's team after being referred (which I assume was to confirm the diagnosis from my first neurologist). It was only after those steps were the more invasive surgical options put on the table.

Aside from what might be circumstantial evidence, I can recall talking to my neurologists about conditions that could mimic CH but it is all really a haze. During worst periods of my CH nothing mattered, I was dragged to and from hospital like a zombie, I hardly managed to stay awake through most of it! I can't recall how many times I've fallen prey to exhaustion in a hospital chair or transport. I am curious what they have and have-not ruled out so thank you for bringing this to my attention, lets see if I can bring it up during my next appointment.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #9 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 3:29am

Hi JC
We all understand 100% what you go through.
A few thoughts ..............
It's always been my understanding that the meds used for each headache type, will not work on other headache types. The certainly didn't for me.  So, if you get relief from imigran injections then it's CH you have, but you can't rule out having another headache type at the same time.

The D3 regime can take some people a few months to start working. The level of D3 in your body has to build uo to a certain point before it becomes effective - just below toxicity, which is why it's important to have the blood test. Batch will explain everything. So, it's worth persevering.

Did you know the injections can be split.  They come in 6mg doses, but 3, or even 2mg is often enough. So if you split them you could cover 4 to 6 headaches, instead of just 2.
There is a blue tab on the left of your screen called "imitrex tip".  You'll find a full explanation there, with pictures.  I split mine all the time, partly because it gives more doses, but also it's much gentler to use. Those things go off like a nail gun and I was always covered in bruises. I had a defective batch where the button wouldn't depress so I pulled the unit apart and used a cotton bud as a plunger. Then I read the imitrex tip and have never used an injection in the normal way since.

Do you have imitrex pills too.  They are not too popular as they take to long to be absorbed into your system to be much good, but, taken at bed time it often delays an attack for 3 to 4 hours, allowing a little sleep.  I should say though, that you are told in the instructions not to use as a preventative and that it won't work, but it does for me and some others.  You must remember though, that one pill is the equivalent of one injection, so that would only leave you with one more injection in the 24 hour period.

Lastly, buy a cluster kit mask from the CH.com store ( yellow tab). 
They are far superior to the silly little NHS ones, and will make your 02 much more effective.

Hope this helps a bit.  If you would like to talk send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number.  I'm in Portsmouth.
Take care,  Maz.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #10 - Nov 12th, 2016 at 1:04pm

Consider printing his and use to discuss options with
you doctors.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!