Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Here From Texas (Read 2018 times)
Brandon L.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

New Here From Texas
Dec 6th, 2016 at 9:08am

I have had 5 or 6 cycles. I have never actually replied to a topic or created a post in this forum, but have read countless , informative posts. My first cycle happened in my early 20's. It lasted 2 months with 2-4 "full blown" CH a day. The next cycle was 3 years later. This went on for two more cycles, always coming in Sept. Then i went 5 years without a cycle. Then one hits. That was in Sept of 2010. So , im over 6 yrs now without a cycle, BUT now comes my question. Starting Saturday, Dec 3, 2016 i had a pain in the left side of my face, around my left eye, my usual CH spot. It never got full blown but i did have some sharp pains along with the dull pain. Then Sunday, the very next evening, the same thing happened. Then Monday skipped but i had one this morning at 5am that lasted 45mins. Again, not "full blown" but the reminders of what the pain is like. My question is this: Is this the beginning of a cycle? Like i said earlier, it has been over 6 yrs since my last one. I use verapimil and imitrex when i start a cycle. One of these episodes actually scared me enough to take an imitex and jump in the hot shower, which is how i fight these things when im in a cycle. Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thank you so much for this forum.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: New Here From Texas
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 11:14am

The erratic pattern makes it impossible to talk about cycles.

Assuming you have seen a good doc to get a diagnosis of cluster.

Given the often long breaks between attacks, it would make sense to find a pill or injection abortive to use when an attacks surfaces. You could use a preventive but th need and expense may not be justified--your call.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Brandon L.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 11:20am

I went through 3 cycles before diagnosed. I recently moved to Texas where my wife lives and began setting up with a new doc. He sent me to a neurologist which also diagnosed me. Im long overdue for a cycle and i guess im asking what these three episodes are that i have had in the last 4 days. I have read about "shadows" but still dont know if thats what it is. If feels just like the CH but on a much lower pain scale. Is this a the CH warning me of a cycle thats about to hit or am I just being paranoid?

IP Logged

Brandon L.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 11:28am

Also, the first doc that diagnosed me gave me imitrex, the pill. He also put me on varapimil for the duration of the cycle. That is basicly what i have done for every cycle after that. The neurologist said he wanted me to try imitrex injections and o2 next cycle. He said the injections work much faster. He said i would need to get a high concentrate of o2 for it to work, or something like that anyway.

IP Logged

eeallen
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 12:56pm

Hi Brandon,

Here's what I do literally the second I feel one coming on. 

1) rush to my freezer and grab an ice gel pack
2) wrap ice pack around my left shoulder (the pain side) or rest it against the back of my neck. (incredibly helpful for me to reduce pain.)
3) get to my oxygen tank (with non re-breather mask) and turn up to 10-15 mL (anything less is unlikely to help.)
4) huff and puff on oxygen for 10 - 15 minutes or so or until pain is gone, with ice pack still on my neck.

Also, if I can get a glass of ice water handy, I like to have that nearby for an occasional drink. 

There are times when I will ask my wife to rub my left shoulder or neck, if I can tolerate it.

Hope that helps, thats what I've found works best for me over the years.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2016 at 12:57pm by eeallen »  

IP Logged

eeallen
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 1:00pm

Also, regarding wether that's the start of the cycle or not.  It's hard to say, but always play it safe.  If it keeps happening daily, then it probably is.  My cluster cycles normally ramp up from beginning shadows.

IP Logged

Brandon L.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 5:35pm

Thanks! When im in a cycle, i take an imitrex as soon as i feel it coming on and then go straight to the shower. I get it as hot as i can and plug the tub up and keep the shower on. To each his own i guess, just helps me fight it off. But now if another cycle has started, i have to call my doc and get the injections instead of pills and the o2. I just want to make sure im about to hit a cycle before i visit the neurologist again. Thanks for the replies. Im going to give a couple more days and see what happens, if i keep having these little episodes then i will get it lined out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!