Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Potential genetic link to CH (Read 3971 times)
Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Potential genetic link to CH
Dec 15th, 2016 at 1:12am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Although the research isn't exactly complete, it is showing that for at least some people with CH there seems to be a link to a defined gene. But further research will need to be done to determine the accuracy of the link, etc., but it is a start...

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Potential genetic link to CH
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 12:09am

Mike,

Many thanks. Here's the link to the actual study results:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's a heavy read... but it appears to be an example of research with real gene science defining the cluster headache disorder.

"Conclusions

In conclusion, our work provides the first evidence that genetic variants in genes involved in pain processing could confer susceptibility to CH. A major limitation in our study is the relatively small sample size, hence further investigation in larger cohorts is warranted in order to confirm our initial association results."

I've sent off an email to Maria Michela Cainazzo, one of the study authors.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

jordan7815
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 11:04am

Mike,

Thank you for sharing this. The eastern medicine cures distinguish between the pain on the left side and the right side. Do you know if western medicine does this as well?

I was wondering if there is a relationship between left-right brain dominance, and the pain side. For example, I am a right brained person. My pain is on my right eye. If you google "The Dress", I see it as "Gold and White". My MBTI is ENFP, which N and P typically associated with right brained.

My academic goal is to prove there is a relationship, and then beg the question on whether I can do mental bootcamps to build left brain muscles to balance the body, and perhaps stop the CH.

IP Logged

Constantine
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

West Palm Beach, Florida
Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 4:50pm

jordan7815 wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 11:04am:
Mike,

Thank you for sharing this. The eastern medicine cures distinguish between the pain on the left side and the right side. Do you know if western medicine does this as well?

I was wondering if there is a relationship between left-right brain dominance, and the pain side. For example, I am a right brained person. My pain is on my right eye. If you google "The Dress", I see it as "Gold and White". My MBTI is ENFP, which N and P typically associated with right brained.

My academic goal is to prove there is a relationship, and then beg the question on whether I can do mental bootcamps to build left brain muscles to balance the body, and perhaps stop the CH.

That's exactly what you're not supposed to do in an experiment or research. Going into it trying to prove something? No, you do research objectively and then see what the data tells you.

Ugh, can real scientists please start researching this stupid disease.

IP Logged

Constantine
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

West Palm Beach, Florida
Reply #4 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 4:52pm

Constantine wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 4:50pm:
Mike,

That's exactly what you're not supposed to do in an experiment or research. Going into it trying to prove something? No, you do research objectively and then see what the data tells you.

Ugh, can real scientists please start researching this stupid disease.

Alright my bad. That was harsh. Thanks for trying to research it at least.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #5 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 1:35am

Over the years there has been discussion here re the possibility of genetic disposition to ch...

....have yet to see much that would convince me there is....tho in my family migraine is prevalent...

.....until lately I would have said....this be a fruitless and pointless concern.....cuz ...so what....
what ya gonna do anyway.....

...now they be talking about "gene therapy"...altering the genetics that cause "whatever"....
that would be pretty special stuff.....

....how much ya think THAT gonna be directed toward CH.....

...there be pessimism....and there be realism....pick yours...

Best

Jon

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

jordan7815
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 8:34am

I believe it is genetic, as I do believe that personality types are genetic as well. At least from my personal family experience anyway. In practice, this means that one generation can teach the next a lot about coping with the reality of the world.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 12:54am

I was wondering if there is a relationship between left-right brain dominance, and the pain side. For example, I am a right brained person. My pain is on my right eye.

Over the years there have been several topics on these forums where people have been trying to link which side of their head the CH pain is on and other things, like if they are left / right handed, etc. But to date nobody has made a definitive link.

What makes it complex is that CHs can change sides. If this happens it is more likely to be between CH cycles but for some people it can be for different CHs within a cycle. Nerve blocks have also resulted in the CH changing sides.

Similarly most people have their CH around the eye or the temple region, but again it can change.

It may also be academic as to which side of the head the CH is on, since it is still a CH.

One good place to check up on existing research is using pubmed (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) which allows you to search published research papers, although normally you only get limited access to the content.

For example, looking for CH and genetic - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - gives a number of results where there have been genetic links found for some people with CH.

IP Logged

zanychef
CH.com Junior

i'm busting with a masx
cant really go wrong
can i

x1|worthing|England|europe|172|244|
Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 12:42pm

Hi All
Around September time when i was at my headache clinic with Prof Goadsby they took my blood for genetic research so its ongoing here i'll have a look for a link Smiley

Zany
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; thats the latest i could find :
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2017 at 4:54am by zanychef »  

plenty of time to sleep now me headaches aint too bad:)
Ian Howard  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 12:17am

M.D. Kudrow, L. and M.D. Kudrow, D. B. (1994), Inheritance of Cluster Headache and its Possible Link to Migraine. Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain, 34: 400–407. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-4610.1994.hed3407400.x
Quote:
SYNOPSIS
We evaluated the possibility that cluster headache may be a transmitted disorder, influenced by migraine genetics. In the first part of a two part study, 24 female cluster headache probands having at least one first degree relative with cluster headache were evaluated for familial histories of cluster and migraine headache. Headache histories of most parents, sib-lings and children were satisfactorily documented by either direct interview or by information provided by knowledgeable relatives. In approximately a third of relatives, the headache history could not be properly ascertained. The second part of the study evaluated occurrence rates of cluster and migraine headaches among first degree relatives of 200 female and 100 male cluster headache patients, and the proportion of affected relatives. These data were compared to those of 200 women and 100 men with migraine headache; family history data were, for the most part, provided by headache patients.
Twenty-four of two hundred cluster headache women (12%) had at least one first degree relative with cluster headache. Three generations of cluster headache were found in 7/ 24 kindreds (29.17%). Parental cluster headache was found in 19 of the 24 probands (79.17%); in 14/19 (73.68%), transmission was from father to proband. Fifty percent of cluster pro-bands also had migraine headaches, and almost 50% had a family history of migraine. Similarly, of the larger population of 300 cluster patients, approximately 45% had a positive family history of migraine. Of 1652 relatives of all cluster patients, 3.45% had cluster headache (thirteen times the expected frequency of cluster headache in the general population) and 17.55% had migraine headaches.
The combined occurrence rate of cluster and migraine headaches among mothers or fathers of cluster patients differed little from the parents of migraine patients (X2 = 3.16, P <.10; X2 = 0.28, P < 0.70, respectively). Migraine was significantly more common, however, among some relatives of migraineurs compared to combined frequencies of migraine and cluster headache among relatives of cluster patients. Finally, the migraine population of Goodell et al.28 was compared to our cluster headache population for occurrence of either headache type among children where neither, one or both parents had headaches. The results for our cluster population was 36.33%, 48.07% and 71.43%, respectively; this distribution was not significantly different from the migraine group of Goodell et al. (28.6%, 44.2% and 69.2%),28 and conformed to a Mendelian pattern of transmission (X2 = 37.55, P < 0.001).
Results of this study provided evidence suggesting a genetic basis for cluster headache. Equally compelling were findings suggesting a genetic link between migraine and cluster headaches. The authors have speculated that migraine and cluster headache may be the same disorder, genotypically, but expression of the latter mayinvolve a more complex process requiring, as yet unknown, extrinsic or intrinsic influences

Hoppy

IP Logged

Scorpion
CH.com Junior

lemons to lemonade

KCMO
Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 12:05pm

I believe that all ailments from which there are no direct external causes such as an injury are a genetic expression. Even within those external factors as an influence, can still be the result of a genetic predisposition.

In DNA research, we have found another factor that plays a role in the expression of our DNA called histones. The process of DNA expression takes on a few factors and shows that though we may have a genetic predisposition to certain diseases, cancer, etc...,  these predispositions must be "allowed" by a process sometimes referred to as epi-genetics.

These epi-genetics are results of diet and lifestyle that are passed for 3 or more generations. So the things that happened to your grandfather have an effect on your DNA expression. Other studies have been done to show that fear can be induced into the offspring of mice using electrical shock of the mother, which points to the involvement of epi-genetics.

Though there may be many ways to accomplish a task, the genes are the gatekeepers. Maybe someday in the future we will be able to cure things that were once thought to be hopeless simply through altering our DNA expression through epi-genetics.

Life's a garden, dig it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!