Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finally got my O2 (Read 1901 times)
Brandon L.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Finally got my O2
Jan 2nd, 2017 at 6:16pm

Well i have never tried o2 but im really looking forward to it working. I usually take an imitrex pill when i feel the oncoming of a HA. I ordered the o2 mask kit off the site here and am really looking forward to it. I did have my worst HA ever Saturday. It lasted 3 and 1/2 hrs. It mentally broke me. If it wasn't for my wife being here for me, i dont know what i would have done. I have never had one last that long with no relief. The imitrex pill nor my sclading hot shower nor the o2 touched it. I have the basic set up for o2 so thats why i ordered the mask. The first o2 set up they sent only went to 8 LPM. My wife got on the phone and was very upfront with them so they actually sent me another setup yesterday that goes to 15LPM. Im really looking forward to trying the mask out or even the mouthpiece. Anyway, happy new year to all and i pray for a pain free evening for us all.

Brandon

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Re: Finally got my O2
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2017 at 1:13am

I feel for you. I had one attack that lasted 4 hrs. Only one in 29 yrs, thankfully. I hope the O2 store gave you a NON-rebreather (they have a bag) a rebreather doesn't.

Anything we do to fight an attack must be done quickly. Waiting even minutes decreases the chance to abort. Once an attack is full blown it is hard to stop. The Imitrex injections are a good option.

If you have the wrong O2 mask or the nasal canula, these are not good for CH but if used correctly may help. We need 100% pure O2 no holes in the mask. Nasal canula can be put in the mouth, with the lips sealing it, but will not replace a good mask.

You will love the mask from here. I have 4.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2017 at 1:13pm

Sounds like you're on the right track, congrats!  Wink

You might consider seeing if you can get a regulator that will go to 25 lpm psi so you can hyperventilate through that NON-rebreather mask.

If o2 provider/doc says no, try a national store called Harbor Freight Tools and get a welders regulator. Might have to get an adapter/coupling/etc to make it fit your tank, but it is so well worth it to truly do it right. Lots of great info on this website regarding this specific o2 setup subject. Good luck.  Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Brandon L.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2017 at 6:45pm

Nah, they gave me the rebreather mask. Thats why i ordered one from here. I have a harbor frieght tools in Texarkana where i live, i go there often but i should be able to get everything i need from where i work. I work at a steel mill and we use torchs and tanks daily. Im going to see if the new mask with the 15LPM will do the trick , if not i will look into a different regulator.  Has anyone tried this med that you have to blow it up your nose? I cant think of the name of it off hand, im at work and the box is at the house. It comes in a capsule that you put in a gadget the punctures the capsule and then you stick one end up your nose and blow on the other end. It feels like your snorting drano. Anyway, my neurologist prescribed it to me. It was 650 dollars for 9 doses lol. Which i only paid 25 dollars cause of insurance covering the rest. Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone has tried it?

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2017 at 8:28pm

Definitely wise of you to order the NON-rebreather mask from this website. At 15 lpm you should be able to abort an attack providing you get on the o2 immediately at onset of attack, but you will not be able to hyperventilate with less than 25 lpm which is why a different regulator is recommended.

Hyperventilating o2 is the fastest way to abort an attack, and we all know that every second feels like a minute, and every minute feels like an hour; so the choice is yours on how much pain you choose to endure.

We here on this site are more knowledgeable than most doctors, so so do lots of reading and fire away with any questions. "Knowledge is power" and unfortunately with this disease, we CH'ers who are afflicted are pros at self advocating.

The prescribed nasal spray you refer is most likely Imitrex (Sumatriptan). Yup, very expensive med. Great to read your insurance covered it, and that it was covered at such low cost to you.

Imitrex nasal spray is pretty good. Imitrex pills are basically worthless for CH's as they are often ineffective and/or very slow, like 45 minutes of hell before they, if they, work for the CH'er.

Imitrex injections are without a doubt the best of the three types of Imitrex medicine. However o2 is the safest and the least expensive abortive treatment. 

Here's a tip on using the nasal spray, it is a common symptom for your nostril/septum to be congested on the same side as your attack, so make sure to spray the medicine into the clear side of your nose. This may seem like common sense, but most of us have made that expensive worthless mistake. Imitrex is something you always want to keep on you at all times in case you get attacked while away from your o2 tank.

When you need more advice or just feel like venting frustration, we are here to help support you through this rough time in your life.  Wink

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Brandon L. wrote on Jan 3rd, 2017 at 6:45pm:
Nah, they gave me the rebreather mask. Thats why i ordered one from here. I have a harbor frieght tools in Texarkana where i live, i go there often but i should be able to get everything i need from where i work. I work at a steel mill and we use torchs and tanks daily. Im going to see if the new mask with the 15LPM will do the trick , if not i will look into a different regulator.  Has anyone tried this med that you have to blow it up your nose? I cant think of the name of it off hand, im at work and the box is at the house. It comes in a capsule that you put in a gadget the punctures the capsule and then you stick one end up your nose and blow on the other end. It feels like your snorting drano. Anyway, my neurologist prescribed it to me. It was 650 dollars for 9 doses lol. Which i only paid 25 dollars cause of insurance covering the rest. Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone has tried it?

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

dennisoc
CH.com Veteran

Conroe tx
Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2017 at 10:03pm

I wanted to tear that fucking mask off my face...and I did....often.
I finally gave it 15 min at 15 LPM....Heaven...Then after ingesting Shrooms...It took/takes maybe 5 minutes to kill a KIP 3...heaven....for maybe 3 dozen in 10 years...sweet

Wage Peace
dennisoc dennis o'connor  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!