Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
losing health insurance - O2 help (Read 2317 times)
Mr Lunch
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

La Mesa, CA
losing health insurance - O2 help
Mar 5th, 2017 at 2:30pm

Hi all,

I'm losing my health insurance on June 30. My current health provided has been paying the $150 month O2/regulator prescription rental. Looking for ideas to transition.

Here what I currently have:

• Regulator 0-15 Flow
  • 10 Aluminum Oxygen Cylinders (always try to keep 10 full cylinders on hand)
  • Mask (However, I just suck down O2 via the tube)
  • Cylinder cart

Not sure If I will try to keep the my current plan (via COBRA), look into ACA, or try risking without insurance. I still need to do my homework on all the options as I'll be leaving my employment on a 6 month severance package. Hopeful to get another job, but you never know.

My cluster headaches hit me once a year for about 6-8 weeks. Thank God I'm on the tail end of the recent attack. Interesting note, I went 2 years without an attack until this year and the attacks only hit from 10:30p, through the night and ended around 7:30a the next morning. Didn't have to take one day off from work this year. My sleep was off but O2 works magic for me. Aborting within 5-10 minutes.

Thoughts ideas on if what I should do? Years ago I read on the forums about welding tanks and thinking maybe I should go that direction and start buying the needed equipment.

Thanks in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2017 at 3:11pm by Mr Lunch »  

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Re: losing health insurance - O2 help
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2017 at 8:28pm

Recommend you go the O2 welding route and don't have to be concerned with appointments, prescriptions, limitations, etc.

-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 5:34am

Lunch,

Gregg is spot on about using welder's O2.  You essentially buy the first M-Size oxygen cylinder for $300.  When it's empty, you turn it in and pick up a fully charged M-Size O2 cylinder for ~ $35.  I suggest you buy a cylinder cart.

You've got Airgas and WestAir Gases and Equipment outlets all around you in La Mesa.  Just don't tell them how you intend to use the oxygen. 

You've a couple options for regulators.  You can pick up a CGA-540 25 LPM oxygen regulator for $35 tp $65 over the Internet that will work just fine with the welder's O2 fill fitting.  You can also pick up an O2 Welding Regulator for $35 to $65.  If you go this route, you set a pressure to get the desired flow rate as these regulators do not have a flow rate selector.

If you use the latest oxygen therapy procedure I developed, the M-size welder's cylinder will last you well over a month.  You can find this procedure and the "How To" BYO for making a Redneck Oxygen Reservoir Bag Breathing System.  They work great.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Mr Lunch
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

La Mesa, CA
Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 2:54am

Thank you for the reply. Trying to estimate how much a M-Size cylinder will last. When CH hits I can go through 10-15 E-Size cylinders. Any ideas?

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 5:35pm

Mr Lunch wrote on Mar 31st, 2017 at 2:54am:
Trying to estimate how much a M-Size cylinder will last. When CH hits I can go through 10-15 E-Size cylinders.

The O2 page is really useful for questions like this - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

An E tank is shown having 20 cubic feet of compressed oxygen and an M has 125 cubic feet, so an M has a fraction over the volume of 6 E tanks.

So 2 M tanks is similar to 12 E tanks.

The page also mentions that the regulators for M and E tanks, so make sure you have one that will work with an M tank and capable of at least 15lpm, ideally more.

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 9:24pm

What Mike said! I used to wrestle a half dozen+ e's up the stairs...Lincare here FINALLY got
M's...and while individually a bit heavier... they got HANDLES...it was SOO much more convenient. The FIRST time you blow through what woulda been an e...and keep huffing...you'll get a tear in your eye that is NOT beast juice.....................
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2017 at 9:28pm by jon019 »  

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

LasVegas
CH.com Sponsor

Episodic CH since 11 yrs
old, now 50.

north of the 60th parallel
Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2017 at 9:46pm

I have one large tank, welding tank, it's over 3 feet tall, and such a hassle to transport back n forth for refills at the welding supply store. The nice thing about the larger tanks is that you won't go empty as often.

The reply you received here from Batch about pricing on these tanks and refill pricing is exactly what I paid at AirGas which have hundreds of nationwide locations.

Recommend smaller tanks for travel convenience, and a big tank like what I described mine as, for home use.

And if you get the big one and it's a welding o2 you are using, recommend a dolly/hand cart to secure it on for wheeling to/from your vehicle as they are extremely heavy and awkward to carry.

Make sure you check the regulator to ensure you have the correct fitting for your specific tank. Definitely minimum of 15 lpm. Personally I have only been able to hyperventilate with 25 lpm or higher.

And the NON-rebreather mask such as the ones sold at CH.com Store is crucial to your o2 success.

Keep in mind, a welding supply store such as Airgas will not fill medical tanks with o2. They will only do refills on welding tanks.

And if you do purchase a welding tank or o2 refills, NEVER let them know you are using it for medical purposes or they will not rent/sell to you. Tell them, if asked, that you are building a koi pond and this is part of the aquatics aspect, or tell them you are welding if you are familiar with being asked about it, etc. Come up with any kindof story except for medical.

Good luck. Wink
-Gregg in Las Vegas

Wishing everybody at CH.com less pain w/ more productivity in their lives in 2019

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!