Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stripes are a migraine trigger - possibly CH too? (Read 1266 times)
Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Stripes are a migraine trigger - possibly CH too?
May 10th, 2017 at 1:17am

There has been some migraine trigger research which has been widely reported over the last few days (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register) which has identified that stripes can be a migraine trigger for some people.

A good example of this (Thanks AussieBrian) is Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. This is a well written article.

Whilst in the natural world stripes are relatively rare (apart from zebras), they are pretty common in many areas from patterns on clothes, Venetian blinds and many, many other places.

There have been multiple research papers published showing this, including:
  • Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - Single-item migraine screening tests, self-reported bothersome headache or stripe pattern hypersensitivity?
  • Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - Migraine and stripe-induced visual discomfort
  • Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register - Visual stimuli are common triggers of migraine and are associated with pattern glare.

However I've been unable to identify any research linking CH and stripes as a trigger. However since there is a degree of similarity between CH and migraine, it is quite possible that they could also be a trigger for people with CH.

Has anyone noticed this as a possible trigger?

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Re: Stripes are a migraine trigger - possibly CH too?
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2017 at 8:02am

No stripes when clusterheads are sleeping and most attacks hit.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Stripes are a migraine trigger - possibly CH too?
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2017 at 5:02pm

Mike,

Excellent post.  It's also a great example of critical thinking and reasoning.  For example, I'm comforted to have found that a vitamin D3 deficiency is common among CHers with active CH and that repleting that deficiency by taking the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 stops CH occurrence and prevents further occurrence in a high percentage of CHers. 

We've gathered sufficient evidence over the last six years to prove the above statements and in the process, establishing that a very clear inverse relationship exists between the frequency of CH and the serum concentration of 25(OH)D, the first metabolite of vitamin D3 that is used to measure its status. 

Making the case for causality is a bit more difficult.  The best evidence for causality comes from many of the episodic CHers who stopped taking this regimen at the end of their normal cycle only to have their CH return as usual with the next CH cycle.  There are also a few risk takers like me, who intentionally stop taking this regimen until their CH return. 

In doing this, we've established the logic that by taking vitamin vitamin D3, a CHer with active CH can stop their occurrence and prevent recurrence.  Moreover, if a CHer, in complete remission from CH while taking vitamin D3, stops the intake of vitamin D3 and experiences a recurrence of CH after a week to a month, (this coincides with 25(OH)D serum concentration half-life), the case for causality gains strength. 

Bottom line...  Vitamin D3 is a great CH preventative...  but it isn't a cure... at least not as defined by Merriam Webster in the following:

a :  recovery or relief from a disease - Yes

b :  something (such as a drug or treatment) that cures a disease, i.e., Quinine is a cure for malaria. - No

c :  a course or period of treatment, i.e., take the cure for alcoholism - No

d :  a complete or permanent solution or remedy. - No

What we can say, at best, is a vitamin D3 deficiency is a contributing factor in the pathophysiology and etiology of CH and that vitamin D3 taken at a pharmacological/therapeutic dose is effective in preventing CH.

For most of us CHers, the anti-inflammatory regimen has become "a way of life..."  i.e., something we take daily/weekly to maintain a very good quality of life.

That leads us to a logical conclusion that there is no cure, as yet, for cluster headache, at least as defined by Merriam Webster. 

This makes vitamin D3 preventing cluster headache consistent with ascorbic acid (vitamin C) preventing scurvy, vitamin D3 preventing rickets, Vitamin B1(thiamine) preventing Beri Beri and vitamin B3 (niacin) preventing Pellagra.

What your post points out is important, there are CH triggers...  I look at triggers as clues that may help us at some point in time in the future, lead us to the actual cause.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!