Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Possible Treatment (Read 2431 times)
Colwater
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Possible Treatment
Jun 15th, 2017 at 3:54am

I'm brand new too this forum! An older medicine Cafergot worked excellent and even acted as an akoloid. It is very hard too find even though it does state it's available on line. In fact I asked my doctor for a prescription a couple years ago and the pharmacy ended up compounding it for me. It is basically Ergotamine and caffeine. Sounds simple but it worked really well . I am having episodes now with these clusters again and the medicine is working. Hope this helps!!!

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Possible Treatment
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 5:56pm

Hi and welcome Colwater.

It is great that you've got something that works well for you. How long does it take for it to kill a CH?

Are you taking a preventive to cut down how many CHs you get?

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 6:40pm

I was on Migral for decades then Cafergot, both no longer available here down under, and Mike, if you caught it in time it would abort in about 5mins, if not, then it took about 20mins to kick in.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 7:33pm

If you catch it in 5 minutes then it is similar to abort times for oxygen and imitrex injections, otherwise if 20 minutes then oxygen / imitrex would be much better options if they work for you.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2017 at 7:45pm

I had some reasonable success with ergotomines, variously as a preventive or an abortive, until a neurologist thought it might be fun to overdose me x3.

Not recommended, and I've taken nothing for CH since.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2017 at 1:48am

Yeah! lots of side effects when taking ergotamine! Gangrene being one of them! you can lose your toes my doctor warned me, even your willy!!

Hoppy

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2017 at 7:07am

I used cafergot tablets, sublingual ergotamine and ergotamine inhaler.  Non really did much good.  Just cold fingers and toes from the reduced blood circulation.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!