Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Feeling down ans shamed (Read 2100 times)
Jatimom
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Texas, Amarillo
Feeling down ans shamed
Jul 5th, 2017 at 10:39am

Ok so i know for a hard fact drinking triggers attacks. Soni have decided to live a sober life. Im actually very proud of myself for the changes i uave made and endured due to this craphole of a diagnosis. My onlynproblem is how to get people to quit shaming me for not drinking. Im tires of being called a girl thingy a bitch a party pooper for not ddrinking. The peer pressure with the cups of liqour in my face is annoying. How do i get over this or make people understand im no longer an alcoholic?

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Re: Feeling down ans shamed
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 12:17pm

I was in the same situation about 7 years ago.

I am not joking when I say that this is a huge issue in Ireland, as ALL social activity is centred around the Pub and alcohol.

I have learned this.....your friends will very quickly understand. Those people who don't, are not friends.

There is no reason for you to feel shame either. Other people cannot put shame upon you, only on themselves.

Stick with it. You will not regret it.

Peter.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2017 at 12:20pm by Peter510 »  

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 1:25pm

I don't know how to put this nicely......ya hanging around the wrong people if they put drinking above your health.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 1:56am

I cannot agree more highly than I do with Peter and Bill. What is it about alcohol that people think they have to foist it on someone else? Is it shame on themselves and they have to make everyone else like them? There is no shame is saying "no" to something that is harmful to you. I choose not to drink. I made that choice many years ago, and I've always stood by it. I don't put anyone else down if they choose to drink. That's not my business. As long as they pay their bills, care for their families, and stay off of my roads, it is their business, not mine. By the same token, the fact that I have chosen to remain sober is my business.

Stand by your decision. None of them will share your pain if you drink. Until such time as they do, their opinion doesn't matter.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Jatimom
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Texas, Amarillo
Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 8:16am

Thank you all for the support. Yall make it easier to stand string in the weakness. I think i will reevaluate my friendships. The main source of thenproblem is my husband. Guess its just time for witchy woman to cone back out of hiding and my stand my ground. Thank you all

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 5:40pm

Perhaps a new set of friends might be on the cards.

You could consider joining a camera club because they go out to the most interesting places while alcohol doesn't play a part. Scottish country dancing for fun and fitness among the loveliest people, volunteering to help young people who need it.

There really is a world of choice outside of drinking circles.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 3:07am

I agree with every one else. I don't understand why people do it.  They wouldn't dream of forcing peanuts on some one with an alergy, so why force alcohol on you - I guess they just don't understand, and untill they have their first CH, they never will.
Stay strong and do what's best for YOU.  You are the only one that matters here.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2017 at 3:54am

What can I say but I'm in total agreement with everyone else and their advice on choosing your friends wisely.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!