Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Imitrex and D3 (Read 2685 times)
fiftyamp
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|philly|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Imitrex and D3
Oct 18th, 2017 at 4:18pm

I haven't used Imitrex nasal in nearly 10yrs, but I'm flying to Paris tomorrow and I may be starting my 1st cycle in about 2yrs.  Been on the D3 regiment for a few years, and I'm wondering if there is any issues with taking both.   Thanks as always.

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Re: Imitrex and D3
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 8:36pm

I've heard nothing to indicate there would be a problem.....but I'm not a 'trex user...no first hand experience.

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 8:44pm

I too am not aware of anything that should be an issue, but if you have concerns do catch up with your doctor(s).

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2017 at 8:48pm

Hey 50Amp,

Great question.  I stopped taking sumatriptan succinate when I started the anti-inflammatory regimen in October of 2010 and have never taken it since.  I've three nasal spray kits gathering dust in the medical cabinet. Accordingly, I can't give you an answer from my experience.

That said, data from the online survey of CHers taking the anti-inflammatory regimen to prevent their CH indicate there have been a few CHers who started this regimen and continued to use triptans (SC injections and nasal spray) as escape abortives.

In short, I see no contraindications using a triptan nasal spray while on this regimen.  I fly commercial several times a year and usually take a 25 mg tablet of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) a couple hours before the flight. 

Taking an antihistamine before a flight might sound strange. However, it's been my experience, the air handlers on commercial airliners tend to accumulate allergens over time and an allergic reaction can trigger CH within an hour or two after takeoff.

Take care and please keep us posted any change in your CH pattern during flight and after.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

fiftyamp
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 1:23am

Thanks Batch and all.  The Imitrex is only for emergency use, so hopefully I won't need it.  It's been nearly 2 years without a cycle,  so maybe this one will pass too!

Best, all!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 1:32am

Hey 50Amp,

For clarification... Are you saying that staying on the anti-inflammatory regimen with 10,000 vitamin D3 plus Omega-3 and the cofactors helped you avoid your last two episodic CH cycles and kept you CH pain free?

Take care,
V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

fiftyamp
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 2:02pm

Yes, Batch.  I believe so.  I've had strong shadowing, but haven't had a cycle since Jan 16.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2017 at 8:30am

50Amp,

Thanks for the clarification.  Nagging shadows are still part of the CH syndrome... I've tried increasing the vitamin D3 dose, taking Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) and a combination of both to stop shadows.  All three methods worked effectively for me in reducing or stopping shadows.

I've also found diet and staying hydrated with at least 2.5 liters of water a day helped stop the shadows.  The super food and GOMBS diets (Greens, Onions, Mushrooms, Beans & Berries and Seeds (Almonds & Walnuts) work well for me.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!