Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do you know when your cycle is about to begin? (Read 5973 times)
sj904fighter
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Santa Cruz Mountains in CA
Do you know when your cycle is about to begin?
Jun 6th, 2018 at 8:03pm

I tend to have cycles approximately every 2 years.  This one started about 4 months early, but close enough.  The last two cycles, I noticed that I had a feeling that they were about to begin.  I get a stiffness or knot in my neck and shoulders that's different than other "aches and pains".  I don't get this feeling when a CH is about to occur, only when the whole cycle is about to start.   I actually jotted down in my H/A journal that I think the H/As are about to return.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this  "Premonition" prior to a cycle starting.

RICK

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Do you know when your cycle is about to begin?
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2018 at 10:16pm

That knot in the back of your neck or shoulders may well be what we tend to a call a  "cluster bump"  and many of us get just the same thing.  In fact I believed for many years it was actually the cause of my headaches,  rather than being more a by-product of them.

Don't know the exact reason for it but I certainly know it always meant things were about to go down the gurgler.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 2:38am

Rick,

Yes, I too used to get the “premonition” and it put the fear of God in me.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 3:30am

I've never had that. No idea if that is good, bad or just an indication that CH can vary for different people, within a cycle and between cycles.

IP Logged

Anthony D
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 7:21pm

I worry about this also. I’ve had a low level “electric” feeling in my right temple behind my eye several times a day. Same as my cluster location. Not really pain just a tightening and irritating sensation.

I’m 2 months post occipital nerve block after my worst ever cluster cycle. I don’t know if that is wearing off. I’m also on D3 for several months now. Maybe that’s keeping it at bay. I’ve never had this before. Worried the beast is returning.  Huh

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 2:05am

Anthony D wrote on Jun 9th, 2018 at 7:21pm:
I’m also on D3 for several months now. Maybe that’s keeping it at bay. I’ve never had this before. Worried the beast is returning.  Huh

It has worked for over 80% of people who have used D3, so instead of worrying, think positive as it is most likely working for you. Keep taking it and enjoy the other benefits, like many of us have reported less infections and bugs.

IP Logged

Anthony D
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 9:53am

Thanks Mike NZ. I appreciate the encouragement. I just came off a horrid cluster cycle. Worst in my 12 years with them. So, my anxiety about it is elevated. I’m trying to enjoy being pain free. Let’s hope the D3 continues. I’m encouraged by all the success I’ve read about.

IP Logged

jonas3333
CH.com Newbie

USA, MI.
Reply #7 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 4:03am

Generally, I just get warning headaches that I brush off as something else desperately until I can no longer deny what's coming back. Such cute little CH warmups, knock, knock, knocking at my eye.

IP Logged

sped
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2018 at 10:47am

Husband always comments on being dizzy before a cycle starts.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2018 at 12:38am

sped wrote on Jul 30th, 2018 at 10:47am:
Husband always comments on being dizzy before a cycle starts.

I just realised I always got that, too.  Never put two and two together so thanks for that,  Sped,  and welcome.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Marijke
CH.com Junior

Nice board!

x1||Belgium|europe|215|254|
Reply #10 - Dec 21st, 2018 at 12:51pm

I also get some warnings, usually a day of extreme tiredness, plus my right (cluster side) eye gets smaller and red. Plus a tingling sensation around my right eye. Good thing is that I have a day or so extra to get the Verap started

IP Logged

CHsRtheDeviL
CH.com Junior

Kill The Beast!!!

Downers Grove
Reply #11 - Dec 29th, 2018 at 6:10am

I used to know.  The 1st few cycles always came around July 4th, they did for about 3 years then all of a sudden they were starting sooner and going for a little longer.  Then I got a cycle in March and the summer one.  Then over the years I stated to get a cycle in December.  Now it's basically all year long and I'll have some PF time in between for a few days here and there, then maybe a week or two.  If I'm lucky I'll go like a month or so PF then maybe I'll have like a month where I get very few attacks that aren't as severe.  Honestly it's all just absolutely ridiculous now and I can't stand it.  This last 2 months have been the absolute worst.  Christmas eve around 2pm I got a super severe attack that lasted about 3 hours and then it started to die down and just when I thought it was going to completely go away it came back.  For the next 30 hours I had a constant migraine with attacks in between but really it felt like a 30 hour attack, I really wanted to commit suicide. 

Off track, sorry.  So yeah about knowing when a cycle is coming, I always thought I could tell but over the years it's gotten completely blurred.  Hopefully that won't happen to you and you'll always be able to tell so you can do something to combat it.

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 4:31am

Whatever side they come in on for the cycle, left or right, the outside of that eye gets completely bloodshot, and I have eye pain. It's a slightly milder version of the CH pain I will get in that eye. But it lasts for weeks, and then they start. Hurts to touch my eyelid too.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #13 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 5:35pm

No warnings for me - I just get slammed in the face.
Once the cycle has started, I do get a creepy tickling sensation accross my cheekbone and upper lip sometimes, but often they just come out of nowhere.

IP Logged

Jason Z
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Aug 12th, 2019 at 6:05pm

I know this thread is a little older but I wanted to throw in my two cents.

I had about three weeks notice before my current cycle began characterized by my shadow experience which is a mild, electric tickle around my right eye. These warnings began about two weeks after I had the oxygen company come take the tank away since I hadn't needed it in more than a year and it was costing more than $1,000/year. (lesson learned?)

Since I had this warning (after about a week of total denial) my wait time to see my neurologist meant that my first appointment with her was the day after my first full-blown CH. We were able to start the prednisone taper immediately and I got back on Verapamil. So far it's been more than 10 weeks and it may be tapering off. Fingers crossed.

Like many others here, my clusters tend to come in the spring and the fall. My longest cluster so far was 8 months long and the longest I've been free of clusters was more than 10 years.

IP Logged

slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #15 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 9:53am

I start to have more vivid dreams when a cycle's about to start.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!