Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
when to start preventative treatment using vitamin (Read 3230 times)
Buda
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Croatia
when to start preventative treatment using vitamin
Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:30am

Hi to All,

I am a new one here on the forum.
Recently, I had read about using vitamins treatment for prevention of CH.
Please can you help me and advice me when to start, for how long use them, and what I have to do before start of using it.......

Male, 39 years old, living with CH almost for a ten years, episodic CH, once or twice per year, starts before and after summer, duration about 4-5 weeks, with one attack during the night, in duration about an 1 hour approximately. Cycle just had finished a few weeks ago. The next one, I am expecting in October / November, or again before summer in next year. In this moment I am not using anything, during a this cycle which just finished, for a first time I have tried with combination of Verapamil and Imigran (pills). Do not know what to say, but I am not so satisfied with this combination of medicaments.
Anyway, my intention is to, if possible to find prevention, and keep a beast a far away from myself without using of drugs/medicaments.

Thanks,
Buda

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: when to start preventative treatment using vitamin
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 7:33pm

Hey Buda,

Good question.  I've sent you a PM with enough info to get you started.  The first step is to download the latest anti-inflammatory regimen CH preventative treatment protocol from the following link.  Your PM InBox is located under the date in the upper left hand corner of this page.  Click on the bold print that says "
You have 1 new message.
"

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take a copy of this treatment protocol to your PCP/GP or neurologist to discus when you ask for the lab test of your serum 25(OH)D.  That way you're both singing from the same sheet music when it comes to ordering a second round of labs for your serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH after 30 days on this regimen.

The odds are very high you're vitamin D3 and magnesium deficient.  Following this treatment protocol will take care of these deficiencies and in the process, tame the CH beast that's been jumping ugly.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 4:30am

Hi and welcome Buda

Batch has posted about D3 which has been an amazing help for so many of us, myself included, so do read up all about it and yell out with any questions.

Imigran pills aren't ideal for CH, since it takes a long time for them to get into your system. Do investigate either the injections or the nasal spray since they can work in about 5 minutes.

Do also read up about oxygen as it too can abort a CH in a few minutes, just make sure you have a high flow rate and use a non-rebreather mask. Lots of info at - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

I've done a detailed post about verapamil - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

Hope there is some useful info in there for you.

So learn all you can and ask any questions you have.

IP Logged

Buda
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Croatia
Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 5:25pm

Hi Batch, Hi Mike,

First of all thank you both on quick response, on an advices you had shared and documentation about the beast with whom we have to live.
Next step is to make lab tests for 25(OH)D, total calcium and PTH.
I'll do it in upcoming days. I assume that I should have the results in ten days. After receipt I'll share them with you, so we can discuss about; on which way and when to start with D3 regimen, in which dosage and how long.

Thanks once more.

Keep in touch,
Buda

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 11:44am

Hi Buda
I second Mikes suggestion that you try imigran injections.  The pills are pretty useless as they take too long to work, but the injections are amazing.  Five to ten minutes to kill off a really bad CH.
The injections can be split to make them last longer which helps to reduce the cost a little if you have to pay and also helps if you have problems getting them.

As the pills take a while to get into your system, you might try taking one when you go to bed.  Typically CH starts within an hour of going to sleep and the pill will be having some efect by then.

Also, follow Batch's excellent advice. You won't be sorry.

IP Logged

Buda
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Croatia
Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 6:20pm

Hi to all,

Results has come.
And I am not surprised, literally I expected that results will be like they are.

I am not D3 deficient, but...............
I'll try to summarize the main facts, so you could better understand my issue, and suggest me what you would done on a my place.

- ten years of CH, episodicly
- once or twice per year, mostly twice, duration 4 weeks, one attack per night in 98%, only a few times I had two attacks in same night, always one hour after I go sleep until this year (below I'll indicate what I had experienced this year, per my opinion reason can be a new therapy, for a first time I have used Verapamil plus Sumatriptan - I would really like to hear your opinion on this)
- this cycle was started 22.06. (Verapamil and Sumatriptan for a first time), has ended 20.07., I have taken Verapamil for a one more week and stop
- 10.08. came shadows and they are still here, but less than when they begun
- during day in some occasions, once or twice, I feel a pain, but somewhere a far away. Without pills, for around 15 minutes a pain flies away (few times I have took only analgetik, but never Sumatriptan, neither I started with Verapamil again)
- these shadows, which appeared 20 days after end of cycle. I never experienced before, and that's totally have shocked me. I think, reasons could be a new drugs in my body (Sumatriptan & Verapamil) - I would like to hear your opinion on this as well
- In my case CH appears in a time when weather is changing rapidly, before summer and after summer (in region where I live, on the coast, we are wearing a jackets during March/April, while during May you can go to swimming, same situation is after summer, in two-three weeks from shorts we jump in the jackets)
- In regards of my D3 lab test, I am exposed to the sun more than "normal people" are
- my numbers for the starting point, maybe have to be higher, than the starting point of someone who lives in some area which is not so exposed to the sun. If someone who lives on a north has 60 and that's normal, maybe for me on the south, 90 is normal, so for example we both have to increase our D3 for 30 points to have influence on CH. does this have sense for you?
- right now, I have looked on medical report, it's written for D3  > 75, there's no values like 60-80, it's written only > 75. And please do not ask me what my doctor say, unfortunately she do not know nothing about CH, and not much more about D3 test and influence of vitamins. For she, lab test is normal and everything is ok.
- one more fact, why I am thinking that this highest value of D3 (93.9) will be on this level only for a month or two
- I am working in the office, so during April, May, June, July, when is extremely sunny, I am exposed to sun only in the late afternoon, when is not so hot, only during the weekends a little bit more
- exception is August, when I have the holidays, almost for a whole month. So, until recently, I was on a beach each morning and afternoon, almost the every day, on 35 degrees,  because of that reason result of 93.9 for me was not a surprise.
- between October and April, I am not so exposed to the sun, after my work time, it's the almost a night, so from time to time I can catch some of sunny weekends and that's it.

Considering all mentioned, what you would suggest?
To start with regimen? With all ingredients on the list?
When (right now, or when new cycle appears)?
For how long, in which dosage?
When to make stoppage, and when to start again?
On which things maybe to pay attention, to be sure, that everything I am doing, I am doing it good?

I really want to try therapy with vitamins, I am pretty sure they are much better than taking pills each day during cycle time.

Thank you all,
I believe, my experience can make relief to someone.

calcium - 2,39 (2,14 - 2,53)
PTH - 2,4 (1,6 - 6,9)
25 hydroxy vitamin D - 93,9 (>75)

Buda
CROATIA (EU)

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 2:53am

Buda,

Buda,

What measurement is used for the D3 test. Is it nmol/L or ng/L.

It’s very important that you find out and let us know.

Best,

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Buda
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Croatia
Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 4:23am

nmol/L

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 5:09am

Buda,

I thought so. It’s the same measurement used here in Ireland.

Doctors around the world know very little about CH generally and even less about the benefits of D3.

You need to get that up to 200 nmol/L to have any chance of getting to a pain free state and stay there.

You should start on the D3 Regimen now and follow the loading dose schedule set out in the paper below. It’s on page 11.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

No need to wait until the cycle is over.

Once you have completed the initial loading dose, get your blood tested again to establish what your reading is.

In the meantime, let us know how you are getting on regarding severity and frequency of attacks.

When I first started the D 3 I was tested at 33 nmo/L and didn’t get any benefit for about 5 weeks. Hopefully you will feel the benefit sooner, as you’re already in the 90’s.

Once you have reached a pain free state, continue with the daily dosing FOREVER. The D3 Regimen is excellent for general health as well as CH, so make it part of you’re daily routine.

Always take all the cofactors (K2, Multi-mature etc) as well as the daily 10,000 is D3 dose.

Get full bloods done every six months.

Everything you see in the paper (page 6) can be purchase from Iherb.com, where a lot of us buy them.

Keep coming back with questions.

Peter.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2018 at 5:13am by Peter510 »  

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Buda
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Croatia
Reply #9 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 6:16am

Peter,
So, I had wrong, thinking I have D3 more than needed  Grin ; D Grin

Thanks for clariyfing

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #10 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 7:55am

Buda,

Do keep us posted on your progress.

Peter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!