Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FDA approval...new migraine preventive drug... (Read 2383 times)
jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
FDA approval...new migraine preventive drug...
Sep 14th, 2018 at 6:56pm

Yeah...I know...the "M" word...but clusterheads have had to tag along behind treatments for that FOREVER anyway....

Best

Jon

PS I tried to post in a more friendly form with active links...unable...try FDA.gov (Ajovy)

The Division of Drug Information (DDI) - serving the public by providing information on human drug products and drug product regulation by FDA

Today, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Ajovy (fremanezumab-vfrm) for the preventive treatment of migraine in adults. Ajovy is the second FDA-approved preventive migraine treatment in a new class of drugs that work by blocking the activity of calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP), a molecule that is involved in migraine attacks. Aimovig (erenumab-aooe), the first in this class, was approved on May 17, 2018.

Patients often describe migraine headache pain as an intense pulsing or throbbing pain in one area of the head. Additional symptoms include nausea and/or vomiting and sensitivity to light and sound. Migraine attacks can cause significant pain or hours to days and can be so severe that the pain is disabling. Warning symptoms known as aura may occur before or with the headache. These can include flashes of light, blind spots, or tingling on one side of your face or in your arm or leg.

Ajovy is contraindicated in patients with serious hypersensitivity to fremanezumab-vfrm or to any of the excipients. Hypersensitivity reactions, including rash, pruritis (itching), drug hypersensitivity, and urticaria (hives) were reported with Ajovy in clinical trials. Most reactions were mild to moderate, but some led to discontinuation or required corticosteroid treatment. Most reactions were reported from within hours to one month after administration. The most common adverse reactions were injection site reactions and infections.

For more information, please visit: Ajovy (fremanezumab-vfrm) .

This is an automated message delivery system. Replying to this message will not reach DDI staff. If you have comments or questions, please contact us at: 1-888-INFO FDA (1-888-463-6332) or (301) 796-3400 from 8:00 am - 4:30 pm ET Monday - Friday. You can also email us at druginfo@fda.hhs.gov.
•      For additional drug information, please visit the DDI Web page.
•      For up-to-date drug information, follow the FDA’s Division of Drug Information on Twitter: FDA_Drug_Info.
•      This service is provided to you at no charge by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA).

U.S. Food and Drug Administration
10903 New Hampshire Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20993
1-888-INFO-FDA (1-888-463-6332)
Privacy Policy | Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Manage Preferences or Unsubscribe from this List | Unsubscribe from all Email Lists

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Re: FDA approval...new migraine preventive drug...
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 7:51pm

There have been multiple CGRP blocking migraine preventives which have been released which seem to help some people (great that it does) but they cost several thousand dollars.

There have been trials using them with CH, but at least one of the trials has been discontinued. I posted about it here a few months ago.

IP Logged

General_Cluster
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0||||||
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2018 at 2:18am

Aimovig targets the trigeminal headache pathway. Cluster headache is a trigeminal syndrome, migraine is not classically in that pathway but it may be involved. Aimovig works to prevent clusters, in my case.

IP Logged

RickJim
CH.com Junior

Giving up is not an option.

Vancouver, British Columbia
Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 7:56pm

General_Cluster ... did Aimovig worked right away after the first injection? Or did you have to use it several months in a row to see results?

I am in Vitamin D3 treatment but it works only partially.  I still get my regular cycle at the expected month of the year, but the headaches are less intense. My neurologist suggested to start Aimovig since it seems that my cycle might be starting.

What is your experience?

Rick

Thanks

Rick
https://www.facebook.com/rjimenezt  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2019 at 12:16pm

Hey RickJim,

Have you seen your PCP/GP for the lab test of your serum 25(OH)D?  Off hand, I'd say it's too low if the CH beast starts prowling around at the usual cycle time... 

I'd take a 50,000 IU vitamin D3 loading dose for a few days then bump the vitamin D3 maintenance dose by an additional 5,000 IU/day to 15,000 IU/day.  If the CH beat still jumps ugly during its usual cycle time, I would take the 50,000 IU/day vitamin D3 loading dose for a week then drop back to a new vitamin D3 maintenance dose of 20,000 IU/day.

CH pathology occurs within the brain and more specifically, within neurons in the trigeminal ganglia where CGRP is expressed during a CH.  Aimovig molecules are too large at 150,000 Da to pass through the blood brain barrier (BBB) windows at 400 Da.  Accordingly, Aimovig cannot reach neurons within the trigeminal ganglia where CH pathology occurs.  At best, it lowers serum level concentrations of CGRP.

Vitamin D3 down-regulates the expression of CGRP within neurons in our trigeminal ganglia.  As it has a molecular mass of 385 Da vitamin D3 and its first metabolite, 25(OH)D has a molecular mass of 400 Da, both pass through the BBB and enter neurons within our trigeminal ganglia to down-regulate CGRP expression.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

RickJim
CH.com Junior

Giving up is not an option.

Vancouver, British Columbia
Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 11:29pm

Batch

I was at 150 ng/ml in 2017 when my less severe cycle started, but I still had my scheduled cycle. In the current cycle I was at 60 ng/ml when it started. I had to stop the regimen a few moths back because I was getting very constipated. Any idea why that could be?

I restarted the Vitamin D3 regimen, and 6 weeks into the cycle I am now at 90 ng/ml. I have also started a course of probiotics, including one probiotic for my chronic sinusitis.  This probiotic is called lactobacillus sakei from Lanto Health. Have you heard of it?

Aimovig worked great with the first 140 mgr dose, but it lasted only 3 weeks. The beast came back the last week. I am now taking the second 140 mgr and I hope it continues working.

Summary
VD3 regimen, even at 150 ng/ml was getting hit, but 50% less intense
Aimovig 140 mgr dose works only for 3 weeks.

Rick
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2019 at 11:32pm by RickJim »  

Thanks

Rick
https://www.facebook.com/rjimenezt  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!