Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advice? CA Fires hurting D3 approach? (Read 3725 times)
lori_p
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Napa, CA, USA
Advice? CA Fires hurting D3 approach?
Nov 17th, 2018 at 8:57pm

Hi there,

My CHs have been starting up again.  I started the D3/Anti-inflammatory regimen about a week ago which seems to have been starting to work, but I'm in Northern CA and our air quality is really terrible with the fires/smoke.  I had a KIP 8 this morning, and before this it's been mostly shadows and a few KIP 3-4s that I was able to abort with an icepack to the temple. 

I went to the Dr. this week to get the usual prescriptions for me: Verapamil, Prednisone taper & Immitrex, but I was hoping the anti-inflammatory regime would work instead, so I haven't started them. 

My question is,  should I take the CH this morning as a signal that I need to start taking Verapamil and the Prednisone taper?  Can I take Verapamil and Prednisone and the Anti-inflammatory regime together? 

Or should I keep trying to get the right mix with the Anti-inflammatory?  I've taken the 50,000 ICU D3 once yesterday and another today, and I was planning on moving to 20,000 ICU for the next few days to get things under control (hopefully).  I was already taking 25mg of Benadryl 2 times a day.  After reading through some more posts, it looks like I can up that to 4 times a day.  Maybe the smoke is causing a reaction that is triggering the CHs?

I'm getting on a plane on Tuesday for a trip for Thanksgiving, and I'm starting to panic about things worsening between now and then.  Any advice is appreciated.

I've had an 8 year break from CHs.  I'm grateful for the break I've had, but I'm really sad that they are back. 

Thanks,
Lori

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Advice? CA Fires hurting D3 approach?
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2018 at 10:31pm

G'day, Lori,  and I'm sorry the ghost has come back to haunt.  I can't help with the medication matter but when it comes to the smoke I've found the only relief is to live in air conditioning and to wear a surgical mask if I have to go out.

I hate both but when the bushfires are on I have no option.  Won't be fighting the things any more,  either,  but I still support those who do.

Stay safe,

Brian.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2018 at 12:26am

Hi Lori, Could be your cycle is just ramping up, mine usually starts light and builds up for a week or so but still any lung irritants can’t help matters and that smoke is plenty thick. If you are just starting the D3 regimen I think Batch recommends 600,000 units over a twelve day period for a loading dose...the only real success I’ve had was following that course. After that you drop down to 10,000 a day.  Benadryl has helped me also. I’m not much help on the meds, oral sumatriptans are the only drugs I take and then only when I’m getting hit really hard. hope you have access to oxygen, it’s a life saver!
    Good luck,  Sean

IP Logged

lori_p
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Napa, CA, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2018 at 2:14pm

Thanks Sean & Brian,

After reading your comments, I think I'll keep on the 50,000 ICU of D3 for longer, and I went ahead and started the Prednisone as extra help too.  I think I may start the Verapamil too.

I had another small one this AM, but quickly woke up and got the ice to abort it.  If I catch it early enough that seems to work, and not going back to sleep afterwards.  It doesn't seem like this is going anywhere anytime soon, but hopefully I can keep it minimal.

Thanks again!
Lori

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2018 at 3:33pm

Lori,

Do you have Oxygen?

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

CDog
CH.com Veteran

Rockies
Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2018 at 5:51pm

If it is the smell of the fire, try putting something on your nostrils to block it. I use cinnamon tiger balm. Use it sparingly, it burns. It helps when my neighbor lights up his stove and uses crappy wood.

I have also used Burt’s Bees peppermint lip balm, peppermint oil and eucalyptus oil.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2018 at 6:54pm by CDog »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2018 at 3:29pm

Hey Lori,

You've received some excellent advice on the anti-inflammatory regimen.  Stick with the 12-Day vitamin D3 accelerated loading schedule at 50,000 IU/day for 12 days.  Don't forget the magnesium and the other vitamin D3 cofactors. They're all essential for a favorable CH response to this regimen.  Here are a few observations based on feedback from hundreds CHers dating back to December of 2010.

There's no problem taking verapamil with this regimen as a preventative or triptans as an abortive.  I prefer oxygen therapy with hyperventilation as the safest and most effective CH abortive.  The 200 mg of calcium in the Adult 50+ Mature Multi does not appear to hamper verapamil.  Steroids like prednisone should be avoided as it is a double edged sword.  On one hand it will help reduce the frequency of CH as an anti-inflammatory.  However, on the other hand, it limits the effectiveness of vitamin D3 and also carries some onerous side effects. 

Accordingly, it's best to avoid prednisone.  Instead, I double the Omega-3 fish oil dose and add at least 1000 mg/day turmeric (Curcumin) as both serve as excellent natural anti-inflammatory agents.

The smoke from the fires contains a lot of particulate matter and other pollutants that act as inflammatory agents and allergens.  I keep a bottle of simple saline nasal spray handy and rinse my nasal passages a couple times a day and before bed.  This helps remove a lot of the offending particulate matter from the nasal passages.

Diet can also help if you avoid dietary sources of inflammation.  By this I mean avoid all sugars including commercial fruit juices and soda pop. You also need to avoid wheat, wheat products such as bread, pasta, pizza and other high starch foods as well.  Sugar, wheat and wheat products and other starches act as inflammatory agents so should be avoided while in cycle.

A ketogenic diet is the way I would go until you're out of your present CH cycle or even longer if you want to shed a few pounds.

Hope this helps.  Please keep us posted.

Take care,
V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!