Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Amantadine (Read 2419 times)
buhrly1
CH.com Newbie

I Love Rockstars and CH.com!

Hawaii
Amantadine
Dec 23rd, 2018 at 6:17pm

Hi,
Has anyone tried Amantadine to bust a cycle?

Thanks in advance

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Amantadine
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2018 at 12:56am

Hey Buhrly1,

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Amantadine for use both as an antiviral and an antiparkinsonian medication.  Subsequent studies found it ineffective in treating both conditions.  On top of that it has some onerous side effects.

Given it is not on the list of interventions recommended in the Standards of Care for the treatment of patients with CH and it has some bad side effects, I would not take it.

Download a copy of the anti-inflammatory regimen CH preventative treatment protocol from the following link.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take a copy to your PCP or neurologist to discuss and ask for a lab test of your serum 25(OH)D.  25(OH)D is the serum level metabolite of vitamin D3 that's used to measure its status.  Most CHers with active bouts of CH are vitamin D3 deficient. 

Data from a survey of 283 CHers taking this regimen with 10,000 IU/day vitamin D3 plus cofactors indicate 80% experience an 80% reduction in the frequency of their CH in the first 30 days (most within the first 10 days).  50% of CHers who start this regimen experience a complete cessation of CH symptoms in the first 30 days.  In the 8 years this regimen has been available, there have been no reports of adverse events requiring medical supervision and no cases of vitamin D3 intoxication/toxicity.

The following link will take you to VitaminDWiki where you can read more about this very safe and effective CH preventative treatment protocol. 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2018 at 12:57am

Pubmed, which is a search engine for medical research papers doesn't find anything applicable to using amantadine for CH, however it does have it being used for migraine. So it could be a potential option however I'd try the more conventional, more proven options first.

What other options have you tried, at what dose and what were the results?\

IP Logged

buhrly1
CH.com Newbie

Hawaii
Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2018 at 1:52am

Thanks for the replies.
I am on the D3 regiment currently and have been pain free for quite some time(years). From time to time I feel the twinge start and hit it with additional D3, prednisone and verapamil.

I was discussing this with a PA that is also a CH sufferer. He found that a one time use of the Amantadine could break the cycle.

Update: The twinge was still progressing so it went down the hatch. I'll keep you posted.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2018 at 1:59am by buhrly1 »  

IP Logged

buhrly1
CH.com Newbie

Hawaii
Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2018 at 6:51pm

Woke up to a dull head ache. Felt better though. I am continuing to get the D3, Verapamil, and prednisone ramped up.
Merry Christmas!

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #5 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 1:15am

Hey Buhrly1.

Prednisone tends to lessen the CH preventative effects of vitamin D3...  Don't forget the B complex, B2 in particular and good old Benadry (Diphenhydramine HCL) 25 mg 4 times a day for a week should do just fine.

Merry Christmas,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

buhrly1
CH.com Newbie

Hawaii
Reply #6 - Dec 25th, 2018 at 8:18pm

Hi Batch,
Ok, so I'm tapering off of the prednisone and have added the Benadryl. Going to be a sleepy week. 💤😆
I have B12 and B50. Just made the order for the B2.
Thanks for the input! 😄

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #7 - Dec 26th, 2018 at 9:27am

Hey Buhrly1,

You've laid out a good course of action that should work just fine.  Don't forget diet.  If you start getting whacked, a 24 to 36 hour fast drinking only water and taking the anti-inflammatory regimen just might improve efficacy with a decrease or cessation of CH.

Take care and please keep us posted.  Feedback from cases like yours is important...  It's very likely there are a lot of other CHers in the same CH pain free boat as you with similar questions.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2018 at 1:33pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!