Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Panadol Extra (Read 9371 times)
Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE

Perth WA
Panadol Extra
Oct 3rd, 2018 at 8:36pm

The beast has returned! After a 6yre break. I've upped my vitamin D intake, and taking Panadol Extra! "Paracetamol 500mg and Caffeine 65mg" at the first sign of an attack, washed down with a Red Bull which is aborting them within 10mins.

Hoppy

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Panadol Extra
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 10:45pm

Hate to hear a ClusterMate is getting bashed but happy you're finding a bit of relief somewhere. 

Goes back a long time but I used to get quite some help from Panadiene Forte  (Paracetamol-codeine)  using just half the adult dose washed down with a serious bucket of coffee.

Hope all is well for you otherwise and I'll look after your share of the beer to ensure the national economy stays even.

Happy to help,

Brian.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 12:19am

6 years of bliss, jeez, ya hate to see it end.  Cry. Is it early spring down there?
That’s very generous of you Brian!😛

IP Logged

Peter510
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give out... But
don't give in.

Wexford. Ireland
Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 1:35am

Hoppy,

So sorry to hear that. You know the drill.

Get that D3 under the tongue quick.

Peter.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old....You grow old because you stop laughing.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 2:38am

G'day Sean, yeah, they kicked off 2wks ago in the first month of Spring, whilst having a quiet Sunday afternoon beer on the patio, but they aren't as severe as I once remember. And yes Brian, you can have my share of  Smiley for now, as you know, I'm only just down the road  Smiley. Yes Peter! Under the  Tongue they go. I also bought a different cheaper brand of vitamin D at the beginning of Spring! They were in a small white tablet form, not softgels, maybe they were the culprits  Smiley.

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2018 at 3:07am by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 4:32am

Ouch Hoppy, sorry to hear.

If it proves to be too much for Brian, I'll help drink some of your share of the beer, but only the good NZ stuff, none of that Aussie stuff. Wink

It could be spring which is kicking it off or it could be the different brand of D3 having a lower bioavailability. Also check on the co-factors. Did you make any changes there too?

Hope you're back in control soon.

IP Logged

maz
CH.com Hall of Famer

I Love CH.com!

Hampshire, England
Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 9:59am

Sorry to hear that hoppy. 
I'm in a similar situation - almost 2 years of just shadows and mild CHs up to kip 4 at night, then 3 days ago got hit with a big one out of the blue  at the supermarket checkout.  I had my elderly cousin with me and I had to give her my purse to pay for my purchases while I ran back to the car. 
All you can do is keep fighting it.  Hope it's short lived for you.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 2:58pm

Hoppy, Maz,

Shit happens... even if you've been CH pain free on vitamin D3 for years.  The likely culprit/culprits are allergic reactions and or infections.  These can be subclinical with no outward or obvious symptoms but both cause inflammation.  In the case of allergic reactions to pollen, mold spores or industrial pollutants, they can result a flood of histamine that makes nearly all forms of CH intervention ineffective.

In my case it was mold spores stirred up when an electrician rewired the circuit breaker box in the kitchen of our 65 year old Alaska fishing cabin that took me out of an idyllic CH pain free stint with a bang!  Thank God for oxygen therapy with hyperventilation...

It wasn't until I switched to Bio-Tech D3-50 (50,000 IU water soluble vitamin D3 capsules) at one capsule every 3 days that I was able to get my CH back under control.  I realize it's difficult to obtain this form and strength of vitamin D3 down under and in the UK, but it's worth a try.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

My response to the D3-50 was immediate.  From 4 to 5 high Kip CH/night to none within hours of the first dose.  Hydrating at 2.5 liters of water a day and getting away from the source of the mold spores were also major factors in the cessation of my CH.

A few days to a week of a first-generation antihistamine like Diphenhydramine or Mepyramine can also help minimize the effects of allergic reactions.  You'll likely need to see your local chemist/pharmacist for these antihistamines. 

In the case of infections, 4 to 6 grams/day liposomal vitamin C and zinc lozenges can help shorten the recovery.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 2:53am

Maz, sorry to hear you're still doing battle with the beast, so here's hoping you can get some relief soon.

Mike, I made no changes to the regiment except for the vitamin D in tablet form.

Batch, We had a really wet winter! Never stopped raining, so theirs lots of pollen in the air, although I don't suffer from hay fever, maybe that's a contributing factor. So, I've taken your advice, and see how I go.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #9 - Oct 6th, 2018 at 7:15pm

Hoppy,

Off hand I'd say the high pollen count is the likely culprit responsible for your CH burn through hits.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

A few days of a first-generation antihistamine should help.

Switching Vitamin D3 brands could also be part of the problem.

Take care and please keep us posted.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:14pm

Finished up in the ER! Wednesday night! Ambo's gave me oxygen on the way, and was prescribed Iptam Sumatriptan 50mg fast acting pills! Their working ok at aborting the beast and keeping it at bay. Now looking into oxygen therapy, and I'm still taking the vitamin D regimen.

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:30pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 9:33pm

Hoppy wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:14pm:
...and was prescribed Iptam Sumatriptan 50mg fast acting pills! Their working ok at aborting the beast and keeping it at bay.

I had a fair bit of luck with them,  Hoppy.  Sure it's 20-30 minutes or more before they kick in but each one also lasts for a long time.

They were designed for migraine which requires a different form of management to CH but happily we also get quite some help from the stuff.

My attacks were generally alarm-clock accurate so I could take a pill an hour or so in advance and they really were good.  I also correspond with a couple of people who take one before bed and they reckon it often makes a huge difference to the maulings of the midnight monster.

Still,  at least E&R took you seriously which is a bit of a turn-up for the books.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #12 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 12:15am

Hoppy wrote on Oct 11th, 2018 at 8:14pm:
Ambo's gave me oxygen on the way

A few years ago in Perth, had gone out for dinner and didn't have abortives with me, so of course the beast came to visit. As luck would have it, an ambulance pulled up virtually next to us to treat someone who'd had a minor accident. My other half asked one of the ambulance guys if they had oxygen. They listened to her explain and gave it to me, being simply amazed by how well it worked. They stayed and listened to me explain about it. They said they would go back and tell their colleagues about using O2 for CH. I wonder if you got the same crew.

Hope you're back on top of the beast soon.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #13 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 1:09am

I went to see my GP today, and I'm trying Verapamil 240-320mg/day to keep the beast at bay, he also gave me an order for oxygen, but I'll see how I go on Verapamil, before ordering it.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #14 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 3:48pm

Hoppy,

When was the last time you had labs of your serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH?  I'll wager you're low on 25(OH)D say less than 150 nmol/L.  On average, CHers need 25(OH)D up between 200 to 250 nmol/L for a favorable response.

It's also possible you're having an allergic reaction to pollen.

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2018 at 3:49pm by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #15 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 11:20pm

Spring is arriving in the southern hemisphere and it'll be arriving earlier in Perth than Auckland. I'm already noticing a few people with hay fever from the pollen.

Good thinking Batch.

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #16 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 7:46pm

Batch, I've upped my vitamin D to two 50000iu/day plus the 10000iu/day in the past fortnight, and been taking 320mg/day verapamil for the past week, but with still no success in breaking this cycle. I've also had bloods done and waiting upon results. I now have oxygen at home, and I must say it has been a lifesaver.

Cheers Hoppy
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2018 at 7:54pm by Hoppy »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #17 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 11:53pm

Hoppy,

Sorry you're having a rough time... and yes, oxygen is an essential weapon when fighting CH.  I don't recall, but have you switched to the Bio-Tech D3-50?  It's worth a try and available from iherb. 

I've found the Bio-Tech water soluble vitamin D3 to be more effective at lower doses with faster response times than the liquid soft gel vitamin D3 formulations.  I've been completely CH pain free taking one of the D3-50 capsules every seven (7) days along with all the cofactors for the last two months and my labs from last friday for serum 25(OH)D, Calcium and PTH came back at 181 ng/mL, Calcium well within its normal reference range and PTH at 20.

Going down the checklist and assuming your 25(OH)D is in the green zone 80 to 100 ng/mL (200 to 250 nmol/L), have you tried a first generation antihistamine like Diphenhydramine or restarted the vitamin B 100 complex? Starting turmeric (curcumin) at 1000 mg/day and at least 300 mg/day CoQ10 has helped other CHers experiencing CH burn through hits while taking the anti-inflammatory regimen.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #18 - Oct 21st, 2018 at 8:30pm

Batch, I've been getting attacked at 3am, 5.30am, 8am, 11am, 2pm, 4.30pm, and 8pm, so my GP put me on 50mg fast disintegrating Imigran tablets to take one before going to bed, which is keeping the beast at bay, that is until the 3am wakeup call, which the oxygen aborts, and the rest of the day I'm aborting the attacks within 5mins on oxygen.

When you say you only take the 50iu vitamin D once a week with the cofactors, does that mean you only take the cofactors once a week as well?

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #19 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 7:37am

Hoppy,

I'm taking one of the Bio-Tech D3-50 50,000 IU water soluble vitamin D3 capsules a week (an average of 7,000 IU/day) and I take all the cofactors daily.  Magnesium is the most important as it's consumed in the process of expressing the two enzymes that hydroxylate vitamin D3 to 25(OH)D and the 25(OH)D to 1,25(OH)2D3.

Your CH pattern indicates you're experiencing a CGRP cascade... likely the result of an allergic reaction...  When that happens most CH interventions are ineffective. 

What were the results from your latest 25(OH)D lab test?  Have you tried a first-generation antihistamine like Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCL)?  Have you doubled your magnesium dose?  Are you drinking 2.5 liters of water a day?

Take care and please keep us posted

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2018 at 7:39am by Batch »  

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Sean McE
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Seattle, Wa
Reply #20 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 9:11pm

Hoppy, I’ve got a thought for you, maybe it’s something or not. I’ve too have been using sumatriptans as a nighttime preventative for years now with almost 100% success to get 6 to 8 hours of sleep before that wake up hit arrives, usually about 6:30am when it’s time to get up anyway. And like you, I use O2 for all the daytime hits. The only difference I noticed was the fast acting version, I take the regular version as the first hit never arrives till at least 45 minutes after my head hits the pillow which is plenty of time for the regular sumatriptan to go to work, so I was wondering if you might get more sleep in on the non fast acting version.
But man-oh-man, don’t run out of oxygen, some of those wake up hits (rebounds?) have been my worst.  Sounds like the beast is hitting on all cylinders,😖 I feel for ya.   Sean

IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #21 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 2:39am

Batch, I'm still waiting on the results for blood test.

I have to get a script from my GP for Benadryl, but he's away at the moment.

I'm taking 300mg/day of Magnesium Citrate, and I'm drinking 2liters of water a day.

Sean, the reason I got the fast disintegrating Imigran was because I thought when I thought it safe to get out of the house, I could take one with me, and if the beast arrived I could abort him quicker than with the regular Imigran, and they do have about a 6hr half life. The thing is I go to bed early after a hard day doing battle with the beast, hence the 3am wake up call.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #22 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 12:50am

Hoppy,

A first-generation antihistamine like Diphenhydramine can really help during a CGRP cascade.  A CGRP cascade happens during an allergic reaction where allergens trigger mast cells to degranulate releasing large quantities of histamine.  The histamine triggers the expression of CGRP that in turn triggers mast cells to release even more histamine.  This ends up in a circular chemical chain reaction that results in the CGRP cascade.  When that happens, none of the standards of care recommended CH interventions are effective.

A first-generation antihistamine crosses the blood brain barrier to block histamine H1 receptors at the genetic layer and this inhibits the expression of CGRP.  At that point, vitamin D3 should start working again.

I'd also switch to magnesium glycinate and bump the dose to 800 mg/day split am/pm.  That much magnesium citrate will have a laxative effect.

I would order the Bio-Tech D3-50 or D3-5 from iherb.com if possible there in Perth.  I've found it to be more effective at the same dose as the liquid soft gel formulations and faster acting.

V/R, Batch

pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Hoppy
CH.com Alumnus

Perth WA
Reply #23 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 3:05am

Batch, my wife has been trying to get the Benadryl in Perth today, but they are reluctant to give it to her because of my age?

I'll order the BIO TECH D3 50 today from iherb! Their here in OZ, and it only takes a couple of days for delivery.

I'll also change and up my magnesium.

Cheers Hoppy

IP Logged

Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Reply #24 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 7:25pm

Good to see iHerb are now in Oz, just over the ditch.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!