Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Feeling Disillusioned...... Again (Read 1533 times)
MarkG253
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sterling, CT
Feeling Disillusioned...... Again
Mar 12th, 2019 at 9:15am

Hi All,
Well, its been about 6 month headache free..... Until the last few weeks Sad   I was on the D3 regimen and I thought I found my magic bullet!  But, lo and behold, I started getting them again!  I am so pissed off!  We have a trip scheduled next month to see my stepson who is in College in Thailand....I don't think I am going to be able to go now.... I just upped my D3 to 20000 a day, hoping this will help...

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Feeling Disillusioned...... Again
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 7:33pm

Hey Mark,

Make sure you see your PCP/GP for the lab test of your serum 25(OH)D, calcium and PTH.  Your problem is not unique...  I've had it too.

The best solutions involve the following:

If you haven't already done so, start the 3-month course of vitamin B 100 complex.

Many CHers need a higher serum 25(OH)D concentration than 80 to 100 ng/mL... Start a vitamin D3 loading schedule at 50,000 IU/day for a week, then drop back to a new vitamin D3 maintenance dose of 20,000 IU/day.

As a side note, I've kept my serum 25(OH)D between 120 and 180 ng/mL for the last three years in order to remain CH pain free.  This required an average daily vitamin D3 dose of 20,000 IU to 30,000 IU/day vitamin D3 plus the Omega-3 fish oil and all the other vitamin D3 conutrients.  My PCP has been OK with my 25(OH)D serum concentration this high as long as my serum calcium remained within its normal reference range... and it has.

Start a week to 10 day course of Benadtryl (Diphenhydramine HCL) at 25 mg every 4 hours throughout the day and 50 mg at bedtime for a week to 10 days.  Just be careful and not drive if possible as this much Diphenhydramine will make you drowsy.  If you need to drive during the day or be sharp as a tack, wait until home for the day then take 50 mg Diphenhydramine as you walk through the door and another 50 mg at bed time.

1000 to 2000 mg/day Turmeric (Curcumin) and 300 to 900 mg/day CoQ10 have helped other CHers with your problem.  A good probiotic is also worth starting.

If you haven't already done so, start the Atkins or Ketogenic diet.  These fat burning diets are best started with a 24 to 36 hour fast drinking only water.  After the fast, its zero sugars including fruit juices (sugar is a cerebrovascular and cardiovascular inflammatory), zero wheat products including bread, pasta, cookies, crackers and pizza. Avoid carbohydrates and starchy foods completely for the first 30 days and limit them to ≤ 200 grams/day after that.  No grain oils like Canola or Mazola either.  Good oils include organic butter, olive oil, avocado oil and my favorite, extra virgin coconut oil.

You can eat all the free range organic meats, poultry and eggs you want.  A serving of wild caught fish like Swordfish, Ahi Tuna, Coho or Sockeye salmon a couple times a week is great.  You can also eat all the organic, NON GMO green and colored veggies you want.  Limit fruits to a handful of dark berries like blueberries and blackberries or dark grapes a day for the first 30 days.  You can add an apple or orange a day after that.  Organic almonds make a great between meal snack.  Above all, drink at least 2.5 liters of water a day.

If you want to test if you're doing this diet properly, swing by your local pharmacy and pick up some keto test strips.  If a few drops of urine on the reagent patch turns it slightly pink to purple, you're passing ketones.  This indicates you've switched your metabolism from burning sugars and carbohydrates to burning fats and on the right track.  If there's no change in the keto stick color... you've either been cheating or you've still a significant source of carbs in your diet.

Take care and please keep me posted... I can't help if I don't know what's happening.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

MarkG253
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sterling, CT
Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 11:06am

Thanks for your great Reply!

Mark

IP Logged

Nicolás
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Santiago, Chile / Seattle, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2019 at 10:54pm

Hi MarkG253:

Have you tried Low Carbohydrate Diet (Ketogenic), as Batch commented in his post above?

I did that diet following the advice of RightSider:

Post "Keto diet and cluster headaches" in this same forum.

and it worked very good for me when I got hit during last September. Since then, I've been in a Low Carbohydrate Diet, with no more than 80 grams of Carbs per day in average, and I've been free of the beast (it visits me once a year, so, if after November this year nothing bad happens, that could show that the diet is working even to avoid the beast).

If you can try this diet, just do it!!
And in case of doubt, you could ask advice from a Nutritionist.

Good luck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!